Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I just bought my 03 touring used yesterday, and the dealer didn't have remote key fobs (keyless entry). He said I could take my 02 Altima ones to a dealership to get them reprogrammed. Being a programmer, I know there is something simple, and I don't want to pay some guy at a dealership 30 bucks to have them spend 30 seconds to reprogram them. How can I do it myself? Your help is appreciated!!! Thanks so much! You can post or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were pretty picky. I know....LAME. They said they would have done it, but they didn't have any Nissan Key FOBs. So.....anyone know? PLEASE

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The carfax report said it was sold at auction twice. I think he also said it was originally a demo car (hence the small amount of miles). So...when it got sold at the auction, they may have been lost.....Not sure. I can't find these instructions anywhere.....every car but the Z :( HELP!!!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That's a good question, which is what's great about this site: Information.

A key fob is a type of security token: a small hardware device with built-in authentication mechanisms. Just as the keys held on an ordinary real-world key chain or fob control access to the owner's home or car, the mechanisms in the key fob control access to network services and information. The key fob (and similar devices, such as smart cards) provide two-factor authentication: the user has a personal identification number (PIN), which authenticates them as the device's owner; after the user correctly enters their PIN, the device displays a number which allows them to log on to the network. Because a key fob is a physical object, it is easy for the owner to know if it has been stolen. In comparison, a password can be stolen (or guessed) and used for an extended period before -- if ever -- the theft is detected.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
FOB is a term, not an acronym.

On a side note, in the shipping industry, FOB stands for Freight On Board. If you ever order something from overseas and see that on your invoice, packing list, or bill of lading, then you'll see that term.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
One of my clients sells shrimp, so they talk about F.O.B. all the time, but I always think of FOB as in fresh off the boat

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Oct 15 2004, 08:18 PM
One of my clients sells shrimp, so they talk about F.O.B. all the time, but I always think of FOB as in fresh off the boat

I've also heard FOB used in a derogatory manner aimed at Asians emigrating here by boat. "Fresh off the boat" would be that phrase, but I have only heard it once and it was used by a standup comedian, so I was
!!!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Oct 16 2004, 12:58 PM
Yeah, around here, FOB gets used a lot more often than I imagine it would be in Minnesota

Around here, it would be FOP, and boy do we get a lot of them.

Back on topic, I remember Fallen working on the 'fob' in regards to allowing us to roll up the windows, I think. If that's the case, why don't we have that option originally? I mean, isn't there a way to program the chip to reverse the window motors?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dealers are NOT required to give you the remots for your car - they should but sometimes they are jerks. Notice the big sticker in a window of a used car - SOLD AS IS -

A lot of times the previous owners or auction did not give them to the dealership. I have a lot of extra remotes at work. If you need some I will be happy to send them to you. I have 3 for my car.

Zach
~Z~

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Thanks Zach! It's nice to see a dealer share this.

I managed to come out of my purchase with 4 key fobs. The salesman didn't realize there were 2 in with the cupholders so he programmed 2 for me. Go me. Haha

·
Registered
785 Posts
Call nissan usa.... or send them a nice long letter. THis dealer isnt worth a **** if they arent giving you key fobs when you buy a z. NNA would be all over their asses for this one. Do it I bet they will compensate you greatly. **** that dealer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts