Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to install a rear view camera i was going to do it to a switch... but i changed my mind. how do you get to the rear lights positive wire? i see the wires but i dont know which one i need to tap into. can someone help me asap im currently doing this right now! lol

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Need a voltmeter - ground the black probe and touch the red probe to each wire until you get a 12 volt reading.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i got it its the light green wire in the trunk! thats the reverse light wire (for an 03 at least) thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey I have a question. Can a rear camera be set up to be on all the time. Could I wire it into an A/V in on the back of my HU? I have a Kenwood DDX-516. Is it even do-able?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey I have a question. Can a rear camera be set up to be on all the time. Could I wire it into an A/V in on the back of my HU? I have a Kenwood DDX-516. Is it even do-able?
Yeah you can set up any camera to be on all the time. You would just need to connect the wire that goes to the reverse light to a 12v source that is on all of the time

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Probably want to make sure you use a source that is switched to the ignition, unless you want to have to remember to turn it off when you turn the car off. Just a thought....

·
Registered
30 Posts
do-able.

I ran an acc cable to the rear of the car when i ran the audio cables.

however its a very useless feature to have and you need to have the right camera for it.

Most ebay cams under 40$ are CMOS, they are sensitive to heat and heat up after 40-60 seconds of use, they then get a foggy image. Therefore you should wire CMOS cameras to the reverse wires only. That way they stay clear in use.

If you have a CCD sensor you can have it on at all times (ACC) but again its not really needed. CCD cameras go for about 80$ plus shipping online for the 350z.

My van has a reverse CMOS that i wired to my avic D3 and it has a fog switch i picked up and put it in place of a blank switch hole. I can then supply the camera with power for short periods of time while going forward if i want to check that the trailer is still ok when i tow stuff.

I would think that is a better alternative rather than constant acc power that you will never use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts