Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after a decent floor jack for home but tracking them down seems harder than I thought.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Go to any Sears or the like, they will have a floor jack set, with probably two jackstands as well. I got mine for like 20 bux, came with a 2-ton jack with wheels and two jack stands.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sears?

Super Cheap Autos usualy advertise pretty cheap stuff. I know they have trolly jacks but I've never looked into them.

As always

H

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me a floor jack and trolley jack are the same thing. I would not trust the super cheap line as I just checked their recalls and their car stands do not meet the design rules.

Murry any chance you can get me the model of the one your mate purchased. Is it the blue one made by Blue-Point? I checked their web site and they have no low profile ones listed. My friend has one in their work shop which is the non-aluminium type.

or is it this one

http://news.thomasnet.com/images/large/2004/06/452385.jpg

Which is their light weight race version.

Yes I know it will not be cheap but rather buy it right the first time.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I picked up a nice trolley jack from an Auto One. Don't have the make and model anymore (the sticker fell off the exterior) but its got a 1.7 ton lift rating and it gets under my lowered Z, and its never failed me yet.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I picked up the same one yesterday from my local snap-on guy.

It weighs a tonne to lift and the specs sound familiar so I think it is the same one. I thing it only goes to 1 tonne though not 1.5

·
Registered
77 Posts
Please don't buy the super cheap trolley jack. I was using one at a mates place and a front wheel gave way, the jack fell onto its side, and the car of course fell onto the floor.

2 lessons....always use chasis stands, and don't buy a jack form supercheap.

Many jacks will not fit under a Z so check first.....keep in mind you should never jack a car from the sills, you should use the front or rear subframe or possibly the chasis rails if you must. The jack will need to be loooow and long.

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK then guys - can we come up with a list of jacks' their prices and where to get them from?? I'm sick of having to drive up ramps when I want to jack the car up!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Make sure to get a good quality jack and jack stands. This one mechanic I knew just used floor jacks for a quick oil change and the jacks gave out and killed him. So get a good set of jacks and ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts