Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second car that i have so that I dont have to drive my z back and forth to school and work.... The problem I am having is the axles are starting to knock everytime I make either right/left turns. Sometimes the car shuts off whenever I am making a right turn. (got scared the other day because I turned onto a busy street with my daughter in the car and the car shut off) Does the axles have anything to do with the engine turning off. I took the car in for a minor service and the guy there had this machine/device where he plugged it into the car to see whats wrong with the engine but surprisingly nothing was wrong with it. Anyways what do you guys think. I know I have to change the axles but could this be making the car shut off..... (now that I think about it I am not sure if its the axcels that are knocking Its something down there by the wheels....routers? maybe...dont know)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
the knocking noise wil be morelikely your CV joints....as far as the car Turning off, i dunno exactly what it is , but warm the engine up before u drive off, and it should reduce the risk of it turning off.

if all the doesnt work, go to a Shell Gas Station, buy yourself 5 gallons of Gas, make sure you sprinkle the Gas all over the car,do not miss any spots. Then go purchase a lighter from the station clerk, and just Flame the car up

after that i give u 100% u are care free

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol..... I will make sure you are in it when I do that. Thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yes that will make the car burn faster
we should add ur blazer :lmfao: :rolf2:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
My kia used to shut off randomly, or at low rpm's. Turned out one of the sensors was bad. Have them run a diag on the car and see what turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the clicking is almost for sure the CV boots, which are probably waaaay cheaper to replace than a whole new axle! have those checked out, see if they are cracked or whatever, and replace those before you do the whole axle. as for the engine turning off, could be a sensor, as the axle (or boots) shouldn't have anything to do with that at all....

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
CV boots.....Check. I'm with everyone else on dat.

airflow meter?... My buddy's '95 Maxima was having trouble idling, stalling at lights due to the AFM. Dealer wanted beaucoup bucks to replace....like $700, labor included. He found one at a junkyard for $100, installed it himself in 10 minutes. Now he's on to other problems.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
A local auto parts store should be able to hook up a diagnostic machine and tell you what's going on with your sensors and what not.

+3 on the CV joints. Cheap and relatively easy/quick to replace.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the knocking noise wil be morelikely your CV joints....as far as the car Turning off, i dunno exactly what it is , but warm the engine up before u drive off, and it should reduce the risk of it turning off.

if all the doesnt work, go to a Shell Gas Station, buy yourself 5 gallons of Gas, make sure you sprinkle the Gas all over the car,do not miss any spots. Then go purchase a lighter from the station clerk, and just Flame the car up

after that i give u 100% u are care free

+1 Also, ingesting some rat poison will cure all your problems. All worries will simply go away!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris: lol
Thanks for all your replies. I think I did have someone check it with the little machine thingy. And it didnt say anything was wrong. going to change the cv boots when i have time i just hope it doesnt give out while i am driving. thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Chris: lol
Thanks for all your replies. I think I did have someone check it with the little machine thingy. And it didnt say anything was wrong. going to change the cv boots when i have time i just hope it doesnt give out while i am driving. thanks again

If you catch it early enough sometimes you can get away with new boots and grease. But if it's been clicking for a while it's too fhaked.. then you'll need CV joints, in other words, the entire half shaft.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok chris ur talking another language. U can try russian spanish english broken english(patois)or even arabic but what u just said is unbeknownst to me. :doh:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
ok chris ur talking another language. U can try russian spanish english broken english(patois)or even arabic but what u just said is unbeknownst to me. :doh:

The sooner you take it go get fixed.. the cheaper it will be. :)

longer explanation:

the clicking noise is coming from dirt, etc.. getting on the bearings of the half shaft. (axle) It is most likely caused by a damaged boot. The boot gets ripped / torn from use and dirt gets inside.

if you catch this quick enough.. a re grease or boot repair kit is all you would need.

But if it's too bad.. or has been going on for too long.. you'll need to replace the entire assembly.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks chris..... always give such wonderful and detailed advice for me who knows nothing about cars. mwuah..... thanks :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts