Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for an '06 model. If I get the coupe, most likely the Enthusiast model. If I get the Roadster, probably Touring since leather will likely hold up better to the environment and be easier to clean.

What is it like to own a convertible? Is the Roadster too noisy? Does it leak? Does the top require any maintenance? Do people cut into it, break into cars through the top, etc?

Do folks mostly pay close to invoice or MSRP for the Z?

Thanks!

Yes...I searched. :)

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I can't give any first hand experience on the roady as i have never actually been in one, but the main factor that went into my decision to buying the coupe is that the Z is pretty much my daily driver. If I had another vehicle that i routinely drove and the Z only in nice weather I would have seriously considered the roady but since I drive the Z in all kinds of rain and cold I went with the couple.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Owning a vert can be a PITA if you lack a garage....but open top driving is exhilirating. Roadsters usually have a higher unsprung weight that coupes.

There will always be trade-offs between coupes and roadsters. Wind noise would be one. If your car is out in the open in a driving, wind blown rain, leaks will occur.

Vinyl tops can crack and are not very durable. Cloth/fabric soft tops are quite durable if well maintained and protected from too much exposure to the sun. Ragg Top products are recommended by most cloth/fabric soft top manufactures. Manual tops have fewer issues than mechanized ones and are generally cheaper to fix.

Lock vauables in the glove box or keep them out of sight to reduce the occurrence of vandalism.

Individual dearships will vary on pricing. For an '06 roadster in a color/model you want that just happens to show up at a dealer in your area...getting a deal below MSRP could be tough. Once they have been sitting around for a few months, negotiating a price should trun to your advantage.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
KShep has a lot of valid points, but he's missing the biggest one - there is no thrill like topless driving.

I've had the Roadie for 2 years now & I wouldn't trade it for the world.

There are a few drawbacks of ownership though:

1. If you're serious about track events you'll need to have a roll bar installed ($1,000)
2. The roadie weighs a few more pounds than the couple, but I've not had any issues with that.
3. During the summertime - It's VERY difficult to drive with the top up, but if you have a female passenger (read wife) you will need to on occasion.
4. There's this grin like no other that can't be removed while rolling with the top down.
5. Unless you're very savy - you're going to pay darn close to the invoice for one.

BTW :welcome: to Tech - I hope that you find the right Z :werd:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, no garage...looking for a condo right now, the best I'll have is a carport. I live in WA btw.

This would be my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
KShep has a lot of valid points, but he's missing the biggest one - there is no thrill like topless driving.
Read my first sentence...but open top driving is exhilirating

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Nope, no garage...looking for a condo right now, the best I'll have is a carport. I live in WA btw.

This would be my daily driver.
My g/f has driven a roaster for years...no garage, which is why I recommend having one. Just easier.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Sorry K - I'm used to reading your usual tribble & missed that you were actaully making a nice comment about a Roadster :nana: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
No problem dufus...you know I enjoy the roadster. Almost bought two when I got Angie's last one.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I prefer the lines of the coupe over the roadster anyday. It just feels more solid.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My 2c: If you've never had a vert - rent a Mustang from Budget for a weekend. I've had 8 verts over the years.

Everything is a compromise, though. If you're worried about security, get the coupe. If you're married, get the coupe! (trust me on this one) :doh:

You say you're in WA - doesn't it rain a lot there?

Verts are the best in spring/fall or at night in summer. You can hear the exhaust - you can see the stars - you can feel the wind in your hair - and her hair when she bends over and....whoops. Sorry. Carried away. :irock:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
whichever one you want, get. :)

Plus it's shitty where I live..
x8066940569456940564569 it's shitty where I live too :lol:

Well I have an 03 So I didn't have a choice. And I do prefer the lines of the coupe to the ZR BUT that ZR bootie is so sexy w/ the top down. I've owned a convertible before and loved driving it w/ the top down, but for a girl, unless you have really short hair that is easy to maintain (read, fingers thru hair and it looks great) or you don't mind lookin like Chaka Khan after drivin, or you are good w/ hat head on a daily basis, convertible tops won't be down much. Like Chris said, get what ya like! :wink: You will be drivin it, you will be buyin it, might as well like it right? :lol:

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Verts are the best in spring/fall or at night in summer. You can hear the exhaust - you can see the stars - you can feel the wind in your hair - and her hair when she bends over and....whoops. Sorry. Carried away. :irock:
Bawahahahahahahah - I was waiting for someone to make such a comment :yourock: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
(BTW - It's true though :wink: )

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i got the coupe cz it looks complete. the shape of the whole car is perfect, while the roadster is missing something.
get the coupe

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm in the market for an '06 model. If I get the coupe, most likely the Enthusiast model. If I get the Roadster, probably Touring since leather will likely hold up better to the environment and be easier to clean.

What is it like to own a convertible? Is the Roadster too noisy? Does it leak? Does the top require any maintenance? Do people cut into it, break into cars through the top, etc?

Do folks mostly pay close to invoice or MSRP for the Z?

Thanks!

Yes...I searched. :)

Not sure about 06's but I got my 05 for only $100 over invoice..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts