Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'm curious about getting a helmet, also. I think the best way to do it is go to a local shop and try them on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
www.helmetshop.com has excellent prices. Recommend you go to a local motorcycle shop and try various sizes, brands. Then check out prices at Helmet Shop, and a few others. Helmetshop usually has most in stock with variety of colors. I've been to their store in Daytona & also purchased from their internet site. Toll free number too.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I think it's too late for internet shopping we are going to the track next saturday. I am going to go and find me some motorcycle shops around this area. I really don't want to use someone elses sweaty ole helmet!

·
Registered
65 Posts
At last months AutoX event the subject of buying a helmet came up. The recommendation was made to get a Snell 2000 rated helmet. While they allow Snell 1995 at the current time, eventually the requirement will be bumped up to the 2000s. You don't want to buy one that will be obsolete in a year or two.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As already mentioned, you really need to try on the helmets in order to find one that fits you the best, and feels more comfortable. I'd suggest staying away from open-faced helmets though. As for places to order online, both www.ogracing.com and www.discoveryparts.com have some pretty decent prices, and expedient shipping.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Your best bet is to go to a local shop that sells helmets and try them on. I believe that the requirement is for a Snell rating of 2000 or higher. Unless you know your exact head size and what kind of color or graphics you want, don't go online. Also, there IS a difference between DOT approved and Snell rated helmets.

Here's a link to a previous thread for the exact same subject: Helmets

·
Registered
620 Posts
It depends on the organizers, SCCA requires a SA2000 and maybe SA95. This is pretty much the standard for helmets in racing. Track days may allow you to use a MA2000 (motorcycle) that tend to be cheaper but you might as well get one you can use everywhere, in case you decide to try something new, like autocrossing. If you want more details on the types of helmets check out the Snell Foundation at http://www.smf.org

One of the places I have noticed good pricing on safety equipment is Bell Motorsports, http://www.bellmotorsports.com they also seem to care, check out their page on Warnings and Safety. Also make sure you look at their close out page. Sometimes you can find a sweet deal in there.

Good luck
Chris

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pam
The track that I was going to go to requires a 1995 Snell helmet w/ SA rating (M rating not allowed b/c they are motorcycle helmets). The SA rating helmets have some kind of fire protection going on. I looked online but didn't find much except the ones that are $600-$900. I called around locally and they said that most of the motorcycle shops carry the SA rated helmets. I am going to pick one up of my own too before spring comes so I don't have to borrow the school helmets, yuckky, someone's sweaty head in there before mine,

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
It's a random topic that just happened to come up once. Don't ever feel bad about putting a post in the wrong place, or restarting a topic, there are plenty of us mods here who can help with that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts