Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an 06 (other years may work..) wiring diagram? I want to determine if the TPS idiot light has its own power lead for the bulb. And if so, where do I cut to disable this light?

Thx!

-Smoky

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire Pressure Monitoring System.. sorry. There are a rash of over-used acronyms. Eg., VDC (as in TCS) and VDC (as in vertical doors)...

But ya.. I want to rid myself of the TPMS idiot light (Low Tire Pressure Warning Light) inside the combination meter, below the fuel gauge. From the service manuals I have seen they treat the combination meter as a single unit. And there is no disassembly procedure.

I just need to know if there is either a wire to be cut outside of the combo-meter (eg a 12v lead for the Low Tire Pressure bulb) or if the combo-meter is entirely on a circuit board, then how to get to it so I can remove/disable that bulb.

So far, using a Consult II, we have gotten the computer to ignore the absence of TPMS sensors such that there is no chime, and the Multi Display does not revert to the TPMS data window. But the Low Pressure Warning Light on the dash is on from the moment the key is turned. I want to get rid of it. :)

Thx
-Smoky

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's right.. I don't want to use the sensors in my new wheels. I check the pressures myself once a week if not every other day anyway.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Ahh gotcha. The pressures are mostly gee-whiz information anyways. I mean, I've only heard the pressure low alert once since i've owned the car (really cold morning). And, they always stay in the correct range. Cold, 35psi.. and warm up to like 37-38.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya... Cars I've owned in the past with this system were inaccurate anyway (+/- 5 psi), so I learned to ignore them. The Z's is supposed to be better but it's a non-issue for me delete it.

Do you have a solution? Or were you just curious about the topic?

Thx
-Smoky

·
Registered
655 Posts
The TPMS light is turned on and off by the Unified Meter Control Unit inside the Combination Meter. To cut the wire you would have to take the meter apart. It doesn't look like an easy task.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True.. but it's still just a light, right? That means the light comes from something.. a bulb or an LED. I don't have to worry about opening control modules if I can get inside and simply remove the bulb.

KarlH... you sound like you know what is involved to disassemble the instrument cluster (combination meter).... If I had that procedure I could probably determine from the diagrams if this is what I need to do. Do you think maybe I could get that from you?

Unfortunately the shop/service manual does not have any such procedure. But it sounds like you've gone inside the meter before. Any help is much appreciated.

Thx
-Smoky

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Do you have a solution? Or were you just curious about the topic?

A little of both. To give ya a solution, I needed to understand what exctly you were looking to accomplish. In light of other information, I'd advise you to disassemble the cluster and try to inhibit the light itself from illuminating. A few ways to do this could be to simply darken the LED (or remove it). Or cover it. Personally, I have not seen inside the dash, so I could not tell ya for certain. But I'd be willing to bet there is some way to manually cover or inhibit the light in one of the above fashions. Seems to be easier than trying to correct the issue by any other means.

A good idea would be to contact one of those companies that makes lighted dash overlays. They should be more than familiar with removing the cluster and opening it, and should have an idea better than most would about what it looks like inside.

Best of luck..
Steve

·
Registered
655 Posts
Smoley,

I haven't taken one apart personally, but saw one being worked on at my dealer. Like a lot of other things on the Z, the meter is integrated to the point where the home mechanic may be limited to what he or she can fdo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm figuring this may be the case. The lead tech at my dealer said he's blacked a few out, basically with a fine no-gloss marker and a steady hand. Sounds good enuf for me.

Too bad the TCS lights are tied into the low-brake fluid warning or I'd have him black those out too. :)

Pilot.. ya I think I've given up on trying to get inside the thing. Probably a bunch of washers and springs will fly out all over the place if you open the case to the combo meter. :p

Thx yall
-Smoky

1 - 12 of 12 Posts