Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm still pretty new here, and everyone's been really nice, and helpful so far.
For that, I thank you all. :irock:

A question I've had, and haven't been able to figure out
(apologies if the link's considered advertising or anything)

http://www.imvfilms.com/films.php
[scroll down to the 350z TT Vs. Evo video]
Old vid, I know, but what exhaust is his single-pipe twin turbo acceptable.

If anyone could lemme know the exact one, I'd appreciate it, trying to familiarize myself with all of this stuff, becuase I'm getting my Z in the spring (ditching my Honda/Acura boys, haha.)

thanks in advance! :wavey:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
From what I've heard it's a custom exhaust welded to an HKS Carbon muffler. :dunno:

You have to remember that exhausts on turbo cars sounds MUCH quieter and a lot better. On a naturally aspirated Z, that exhaust would probably sound terrible.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've been told a true dual exhaust is much better for a TT setup. I can't view the vid, but from what you mentioned he shouldn't be running a single exhaust on a TT kit. Did I read that correctly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to remember that exhausts on turbo cars sounds MUCH quieter and a lot better. On a naturally aspirated Z, that exhaust would probably sound terrible.
Def.. Thanks for the warning, not to be too confused though, I'm not new to cars, just to Nissans in particular..
I'm re-learning all the company names and "What's good" as far as quality pieces and stuff, becuase it's a whole different ballpark of companies in the honda/acura world... I'm aware a big ol' pipe on a naturally aspirated car will sound like anal leakage. Which = :ghey:

I've been told a true dual exhaust is much better for a TT setup. I can't view the vid, but from what you mentioned he shouldn't be running a single exhaust on a TT kit. Did I read that correctly?
It is a single exhause on a TT kit, but unless there's some specifics or technicalities with the Z's engine, dual exhaust shouldn't be "Better" per say for a Twin Turbo application... *points @ TT Supras*
by all means correct me if I'm wrong..

I signed up for that EVerything350Z.com place, when I get my confirmation e-mail, i'll be sure to scope it out, thanks for all the help so far guys!! Def. Appreciated. :)
If anyone could confirm that it's custom w/ HKS welded exhaust, please lemme know!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Dual exhausts have been rumored to be better on twin turbo V motors, while single exhausts have been said to be better on inline motors like the Supra's 2JZ.

I haven't had experience with both, but that's what I've heard. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Supra had sequential turbos, unlike the TT setup for the Z. The turbos are set up for each manifold, and the engine type for the Z is balanced more for the dual setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dual exhausts have been rumored to be better on twin turbo V motors, while single exhausts have been said to be better on inline motors like the Supra's 2JZ.

I haven't had experience with both, but that's what I've heard. :dunno:
Ah-hah... that'd make sense, if you break it down....

[] [] [] [] [] [] =============[ ]=

vs.

[] [] [] =======[ ]=
X
[] [] [] =======[ ]=

(where []'s are cylinders and the ===[ ]= ish would be the exhausts.)

An idiots way of putting it into logic, I'd suppose?
I'm probably wrong, but lemme pretend! =P

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ah-hah... that'd make sense, if you break it down....

[] [] [] [] [] [] =============[ ]=

vs.

[] [] [] =======[ ]=
X
[] [] [] =======[ ]=

(where []'s are cylinders and the ===[ ]= ish would be the exhausts.)

An idiots way of putting it into logic, I'd suppose?
I'm probably wrong, but lemme pretend! =P
Nice sketch :biggrin:

Are you planning on going TT, T, or N/A? What other mods are you planning on having with your exhaust system (i.e. high flow cats/test pipes, etc)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's all down the road, I haven't even boughten the Z yet, i'm waiting for spring to come and the salt to be outta the roads... but:

I/H/E, Suspension, APS Twin Turbo i'm thinking (and of course the bells and whistles needed to back it up.)
and then when winter comes and its off the road i'm going to consider more engine building so I can up the turbo's output.

that's the jist of it, i don't need anyone saying "you dont know what you're going into." because my plan prior to deciding to buy a Z was to bore/benson-sleeve my b18c1 (integra gsr), with new rods/pistons and go fourth with the tnetics t3/t4 hybrid blah blah blah blah blah =P

It's a lot of work and a lot of fucking money, but we'll see how everything goes.

+edit+
p.s. as far as exhausts go i'm probably going to go custom, as i'm really not all too impressed with the ones i've heard thus far,
unfortunatley i'm kinda picky... so i'm going to have to look into custom work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts