Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I noticed a noise coming from the passanger side of the car. With the passanger window down, I would here a noise that seemed to be related to the rotation of my tyres. So I checked my tyres when I arrived at work and sure enough I have a large nail in the rear tyre.
The nail is in the middle of the tread, not the sidewall. I realise that these holes can be repaired for about $20, but I was wondering if my tyre would hold up to some fast mountain drives after a repair? Or do I have to go an spend another $350 for a new rear tyre?
What does everyone think?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
ive had nails patched quite often in the past, copped 3 nails in my estate when the other houses were still being built

i didnt notice any loss of performance in the tyres

should be fine man

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I had 3 nails or screws in my tires this year. No one around my area would do it. They recommended that I replace the tires instead of plugging them. Something to do with reliability on speed rated tires. Of course, I also had very little tread left, so I just bought 2 new rears and I held out long enough for Nissan to replace the 2 fronts. :clap:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so the concensus seems to be that I can get the tyre plugged and still flog the daylights out of it as others have done. This will save the hip pocket somewhat.

SmoothZ - if any of your nails were in the sidewall, then I understand that these punctures cannot be reliably repaired.

Thanks to all you guys that responded. Now I'll do a google search on how the repair works and get the fix done later in the week.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
SmoothZ - if any of your nails were in the sidewall, then I understand that these punctures cannot be reliably repaired.
Nope, mine were in the middle of the tread. The 2 front ones had screws and I drove with them for a couple thousand miles. The rear one was a slow leak, so I just went ahead and bought new tires (they had 23k miles on them).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts