Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I am not impressed with the NA aftermarket results.

People have spent upwards of 6k on the engine to get at most 50hp out of it..

Do people not realize this ?

I say go with boost for the same amount of money and get an extra 150 hp

·
Registered
128 Posts
I totally realize that there is very little n/a potential, and about 75 hp max with headwork (mjedens dyno'd 298 hp), buttttttttttt... a big butt-- many of us don't have the money to just go out and buy a supercharger. If I had the patience, i could probably afford one after about a year, but to me, it's more fun to put about 3 grand into the performance @ times. ie: I bought intake and pulleys in the fall, along with stereo etc... Now I bought my exhaust and I'll probably get my cats during the winter too. Then it's going to be on into the engine in the spring and summer-- I have to do it piece by piece because it's not financially smart for me (college kid) to go out and buy a supercharger or turbo for my car. If i could, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and anybody that can afford it should go f/i w/o a doubt.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you make a very valid point..one that hadnt occured to me

but at the same time i see people dropping 5k in NA mods within 3-4 months.. just doesnt seem like the smartest thing... but oh well..

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
i agree with you Sosa, i am in the same boat (college). i dont have a lot of money to just drop on a SC or turbo kit, i wish i did. i could save up but that will never happen, LOL. IMO i respect NA more than Turbo or SC!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i like the powr of NA myself... i am planning on building up my Z full on NA. hopefully be done in the next few months.

my turbo needs are goin to my s13 silvia:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would wait for a turbo kit to go on ebay it will be cheaper (used) but they coulda beat the shyt outta it... so it might not be safe to go from one from there but the will be cheaper

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
As you can see from my signature, I have sunk a ton of dough into my N/A 350Z. Frankly, having done it, I agree that F/I is a better deal. I will have to get rid of several of my N/A parts to add a TT or SC kit, and I don't look forward to flushing my investment. On the other hand, I need more power . . . need more power . . . need more power.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
There was a great deal of controversy about my dynos at the Evil Board, and I really don't want to repeat that here, although the membership here seems pretty cool so far, compared to the 60,000 trolls there.

The short story: baseline dyno bone stock on Mustang Dynomometer = 233 rwhp

Dyno on same Mustang Dynomometer 4 days later after the Cams, Headers, Flywheel, Pulleys, Exhaust and Intake were installed = 301 rwhp. No one at the Evil Board wanted to believe it. Butt dyno said this car is fast.

Then I installed the Plenum, Hi-flow Cats and Custom ECU Flash. Went to a different machine, a Dynojet, and got 276.5 rwhp. Since those mods made it feel a lot stronger, it seems impossible that I lost 25 rwhp.

I don't trust dynos, and no longer care what they say. I will not prolong the debate by posting the dyno sheets. I am an honest person and expect that you all will take my word for it.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i definitely dont think you can compare different dynos.. stil those are impressive numbers... with that many mods im sorry people doubted you power #'s

·
Registered
12 Posts
If anything I wouldn't trust the Mustang. There is a reason most all shops use dynapak or Dynojet 248c. Who cares about peak whp #s anyway. Look at your power curves. I'm not doubting your motor can put down that power. Temperature, humidity, elevation, etc has a lot to do with #s, too.

Anyway keep in mind that this car is near brand new and all the parts that are being released are being released for a first year motor. Of course everything is expensive. Give it some time and your intakes won't be $250-300 anymore (even though dynos show that those don't do much for your cars anyway).

If any of you are saving your pennies for FI, save it for a turbocharger. I'm sure there will be a kit out by the time you have enough for one.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
thing is, i am guessing and this is purely hypothetical, that these prices are way too high for what they actually do. it is just like when i bought my 2001 eclipse. prices were ridiculous untill the newness wore off, then the prices started to come down to a bit more affordable. paying almost $300 for a CAI is too much. same with a catback that is over 8-9, and even 1000 dollars. for any other car that these companies make parts for (greddy, stillen, etc) the prices are alot lower. that is why i am biding my time and not in a rush to mod the **** out of my car, because i know i will just get mad when i see the price of something i bought for a **** of alot less than what i paid for it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts