Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna get some n/a power I have popcharger, aam ecu, greddy evo 2 exhaust, plenum spacer, invidia test pipes, and gronding kit, what else can i get to get some n/a power im trying to stay n/a for a while.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you're staying N/A for awhile, you might want to consider getting headers.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Oh yeah, UR pulleys are a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I heard crank pulleys cause something called crank whip. I tried searching but found nothing. What is crank whip and does an aftermarket pulley really cause it?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Don't get headers as I've been told and heard that they are a waste of money for NA modding. Not worth the money for the little gain that you will get.

How serious are you in keeping it NA and modding? That can be an expensive venture.

·
Registered
151 Posts
15whp doesn't sound like a "waste of money" too me, flywheel, test pipes or high flow cats........just my .02 cents though

·
Registered
57 Posts
pulleys and headers are good. dc sports has a good price on the headers. Cams would help you out large. i have read (on more than one occasion) of n/a z's getting into the high 12's, very good for bolt on power. clutch and flywheel should also be a healthy improvement. wkho is tuning your ems??

·
Registered
151 Posts
there's nitrous too.........if you consider that NA

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by tonysZ33@Jun 18 2005, 05:33 PM
15whp doesn't sound like a "waste of money" too me, flywheel, test pipes or high flow cats........just my .02 cents though
[snapback]117162[/snapback]​

That's pushing it. Those numbers are advertised after optimum dynos on their dime and time with a slew of other NA mods. Then they simply post up the best numbers after hours or days of peak results. I don't think you could get 15 alone off our engine with just the headers. Just remember that these numbers are not standalone, but are progressive calculations compounded with other mods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ+Jun 18 2005, 08:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tonysZ33
@Jun 18 2005, 05:33 PM

That's pushing it. Those numbers are advertised after optimum dynos on their dime and time with a slew of other NA mods. Then they simply post up the best numbers after hours or days of peak results. I don't think you could get 15 alone off our engine with just the headers. Just remember that these numbers are not standalone, but are progressive calculations compounded with other mods.
[snapback]117197[/snapback]​

Man, you really need to get your facts straight. Your doing nothing but speculating with no factual information and the biggest bunch of BS I've heard to date. Are you running headers? Header are one of the main ingredients to a good NA motor. Example; We've been working on an 05 NA engine for the past three month. Careful dyno work and record keeping have been part of the build.

1. 05 engine with Nismo CAI produced peak 8hp gain.
2. Nismo Exhaust neted an additional 13hp and averaged 10 acrossed the band.
3. Nismo headers an additional 14 peak horsepower peak and 12 average.
4. Nismo Stage 1 heads and cams another 27 peak and 24 average.
5. ECU Reflash and additional 6 hp. Better fuel management and addition of Nismo Fuel pump.
6. Throttle body rebore netted an additional 7 hp.
7. Nismo ECU on the way from Japan and should receive it in a month.
8. Next the Stroker kit, Nismo lightweight crank, TI rods and 12:1 pistons.
9. SSV Manifold after the stroker kit.

74hp so far and no real detailed tuning. We're shooting for somewhere around 375 RWHP which is a realistic goal with tuning.

We have no intention of constructing an FI engine. NA's have much better longevity, are not prone to detonation and meltdowns as FI's are. Horsepower is immediate without lag. This relates to usable, immediate torque. I'll put that up against any puffer from light to light and win. Moderator or not your wrong and what you stated is unsubstantiated dribble. :nana: This guy wants to know if it's a good hp investment and I say with substantiated fact, YES!

One note on lightweight crank pulleys. If you're building an NA motor a lightweight pulley is not a good idea. Nismo doesn't sell one for a very good reason. They cause vibration problems at high rpm and do not dampen rotational vibration. They cause excessive wear on crank and end bearings. Face it, if your not looking for longevity and a quick 2 or 3 horsepower, than go for it. If you want to keep your motor to gather for the duration, than don't use one. Not worth the small gain and long term problems.

Bottom line, NA's are much more reliable, driveable and streetable. Go for it! It's worth the investment.

Cheers

Jeff :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Xerd long tube headers. Should gain enough for the price, i'm sure you'll feel like it's money well-spent.

After that, consider waiting for Crawford cam and head package.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by JRMSR+Jun 18 2005, 11:43 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 08:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tonysZ33

Man, you really need to get your facts straight. Your doing nothing but speculating with no factual information and the biggest bunch of BS I've heard to date. Are you running headers? Header are one of the main ingredients to a good NA motor. Example; We've been working on an 05 NA engine for the past three month. Careful dyno work and record keeping have been part of the build.

5. ECU Reflash and additional 6 hp. Better fuel management and addition of Nismo Fuel pump.

Uhh, why a crank? AEBS includes a crank in the stroker kit, as does JUN. That's essentially what's being stroked, different crank size, shorter rods, taller pistons.

Note that NONE of this was done seperately except for the first mod, you will NOT gain the same power from each mod and won't even if you buy the exact same parts

74hp so far and no real detailed tuning. We're shooting for somewhere around 375 RWHP which is a realistic goal with tuning.

Good luck with that, you should have already ran lean by now.

We have no intention of constructing an FI engine. NA's have much better longevity, are not prone to detonation and meltdowns as FI's are. Horsepower is immediate without lag. This relates to usable, immediate torque. I'll put that up against any puffer from light to light and win. Moderator or not your wrong and what you stated is unsubstantiated dribble. :nana: This guy wants to know if it's a good hp investment and I say with substantiated fact, YES!

If your N/A VQ35DE can make 240rwhp at 2500-3000RPMs I won't say anything, but until then, forced induction is better on the 350Z. Not even more pricey, maybe less depending on what you get, and you can still make that kind of power. It may take 2000 RPMs before you feel the rush of power (which, 0-2000 RPMs in the 350Z is NOTHING), but when full boost is achieved, it will make more power at a given RPM than N/A.

One note on lightweight crank pulleys. If you're building an NA motor a lightweight pulley is not a good idea. Nismo doesn't sell one for a very good reason. They cause vibration problems at high rpm and do not dampen rotational vibration. They cause excessive wear on crank and end bearings. Face it, if your not looking for longevity and a quick 2 or 3 horsepower, than go for it. If you want to keep your motor to gather for the duration, than don't use one. Not worth the small gain and long term problems.

NISMO doesn't sell alot of things, doesn't mean anything. NISMO hasn't made their own performance part in the last 20 years. Lightweight pulleys are NOT the problem, UNDERDRIVEN pulleys with no harmonic balancer or dampener are the "supposed" problem, "supposed" because NO ONE has seen any damage from these parts in 3 years of using them. A lightweight pulley with the stock diameter can and is achieve on the KJR Performance pulley (and another company that will be posting soon).

Bottom line, NA's are much more reliable, driveable and streetable. Go for it! It's worth the investment.

F/I can be reliable, driveable, and streetable. It takes patience, but it can be done. N/A extreme power has it's place on some cars, for the 350Z though, I don't think it does.

Cheers

[snapback]117214[/snapback]​

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT+Jun 19 2005, 09:21 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 11:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tonysZ33

Uhh, why a crank? AEBS includes a crank in the stroker kit, as does JUN. That's essentially what's being stroked, different crank size, shorter rods, taller pistons.

Note that NONE of this was done seperately except for the first mod, you will NOT gain the same power from each mod and won't even if you buy the exact same parts

If your N/A VQ35DE can make 240rwhp at 2500-3000RPMs I won't say anything, but until then, forced induction is better on the 350Z. Not even more pricey, maybe less depending on what you get, and you can still make that kind of power. It may take 2000 RPMs before you feel the rush of power (which, 0-2000 RPMs in the 350Z is NOTHING), but when full boost is achieved, it will make more power at a given RPM than N/A.

NISMO doesn't sell a lot of things, doesn't mean anything. NISMO hasn't made their own performance part in the last 20 years. Lightweight pulleys are NOT the problem, UNDERDRIVEN pulleys with no harmonic balancer or dampener are the "supposed" problem, "supposed" because NO ONE has seen any damage from these parts in 3 years of using them. A lightweight pulley with the stock diameter can and is achieve on the KJR Performance pulley (and another company that will be posting soon).

F/I can be reliable, driveable, and streetable. It takes patience, but it can be done. N/A extreme power has it's place on some cars, for the 350Z though, I don't think it does.

Cheers

Just my opinion.
[snapback]117338[/snapback]​

Not everyone wants to build an FI Z! You said, "can be reliable, drivable and streetable", the key words are, "can be reliable"! N/A's are reliable.

Not running lean son, we've made all the proper fuel adjustments along the way and it is highly likely that we will easily meet our goal. You FI boys, want horsepower quick without any investment of your time or knowledge. We've been building street rods and rice rockets for decades. The problem is FI is fine for a quick fix, but to milk all that's worth out of the engine, you need to use NA build tricks to do it. High flow heads, pistons, intakes, intake manifolds, cranks, stroker kits etc., are all part of the philosophy of hotrodding. Durability in hotrodding is the key. Bolting on a Turbo or Supercharger is not making the engine more durable or reliable. It produces much higher internal stresses on parts. I have no problem with you bolting up a Turbo but don't come around spewing dribble about how much better they are than a good N/A build. If you had any experience building NA's you'd already know what it takes to build a reliable forced induction motor. I was building motors before you were a grin on your daddy's face.

As far as the crank is concerned, I don't need any lessons from you! Nismo provides one of the most concentric cranks made. It's well balanced, super strong and lightweight! Surfaces are mirror polished and smooth. Jun, as well as several other well known shops recommend the use of the Nismo crank for these reasons.

Believe what you want about lightweight crank pulleys, they are not a good investment for long term reliability. When your replacing your end bearings prematurely, just remember I told you so.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Looks to me like you've only got a few N/A mods yet to go.

If you don't have emissions testing in your area I'd suggest either Xerd or the new 350Evo Headers. You will lose your set pipes, but you'll still be able to sell them.

If Emmissions is a consideration - Crawford headers & Hi0Flows all the way - you won't be disapointed.

Cams - JWT or Nismo your call. Crawford will have a Head & cam package in the not to distant future IF you're willing to wait.

UD Pulley - VERY NICE.

If you want any additional suggestions PM me & we'll talk :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I say wait for Crawford's cams that they will be coming out with. Doug and his crew have done tons of R&D on their cams so far. I'd trust them before anyone else. If you don't want to wait though, JWT will probably be better/cheaper than Nismo. I'm not a fan of Nismo products. It's only made by someone else, rebadged, and overpriced.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by JRMSR+Jun 19 2005, 02:30 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 11:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tonysZ33

NISMO doesn't sell a lot of things, doesn't mean anything. NISMO hasn't made their own performance part in the last 20 years. Lightweight pulleys are NOT the problem, UNDERDRIVEN pulleys with no harmonic balancer or dampener are the "supposed" problem, "supposed" because NO ONE has seen any damage from these parts in 3 years of using them. A lightweight pulley with the stock diameter can and is achieve on the KJR Performance pulley (and another company that will be posting soon).

Cheers

Just my opinion.
[snapback]117338[/snapback]​

Not everyone wants to build an FI Z! You said, "can be reliable, drivable and streetable", the key words are, "can be reliable"! N/A's are reliable.

Not running lean son, we've made all the proper fuel adjustments along the way and it is highly likely that we will easily meet our goal.

Son? Real mature.

You FI boys, want horsepower quick without any investment of your time or knowledge.

The people who blew their motors were the one's you speak of that didn't invest in knowledge or time.

We've been building street rods and rice rockets for decades. The problem is FI is fine for a quick fix, but to milk all that's worth out of the engine, you need to use NA build tricks to do it. High flow heads, pistons, intakes, intake manifolds, cranks, stroker kits etc., are all part of the philosophy of hotrodding. Durability in hotrodding is the key. Bolting on a Turbo or Supercharger is not making the engine more durable or reliable. It produces much higher internal stresses on parts. I have no problem with you bolting up a Turbo but don't come around spewing dribble about how much better they are than a good N/A build.

Never said they were, on the 350Z, however, they ARE.

If you had any experience building NA's you'd already know what it takes to build a reliable forced induction motor. I was building motors before you were a grin on your daddy's face.

Again, real mature. Come back when you want to chat without insulting me with "son" and "before you were a grin on your daddy's face." (I would guess that would be after you read "Communicating civily for dummies")

As far as the crank is concerned, I don't need any lessons from you! Nismo provides one of the most concentric cranks made. It's well balanced, super strong and lightweight! Surfaces are mirror polished and smooth. Jun, as well as several other well known shops recommend the use of the Nismo crank for these reasons.

Believe what you want about lightweight crank pulleys, they are not a good investment for long term reliability. When your replacing your end bearings prematurely, just remember I told you so.

When you can show me proof...i'll believe it. It hasn't been a problem on the 350Z.

Cheers

[snapback]117413[/snapback]​

Mainly, it seems like you keep generalizing with the 350Z and certain setups, and you just cannot do that, as every car is not the same and does not react the same to certain setups.

BTW, observe who mentioned F/I first in this thread about N/A mods. :nana:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Jun 21 2005, 08:11 PM
BTW, observe who mentioned F/I first in this thread about N/A mods. :nana:
[snapback]118940[/snapback]​

:rolf2: Gotcha! JR, you need to lighten up about your opinions on NA mods. You may have experience, but you don't know everything. Neither do I, but I'll admit it before you (I'm sure).

BTW, you keep asking us to back up our statements, but I have yet to see you do the same.

And who's we, Kimosabe? You own a shop? If you don't like FI, then let it be. There are plenty of shops that are more than happy to use the latest technology.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts