Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car to a transmission shop because I thought something was wrong with my clutch release mechanism. They removed the transmission and found that all the bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft were sheared off. They brought me down to take a look and showed me this odd plate thats mounted on the cranshaft. It looks like some kind of spacer or shim. This plate has spun somewhat and the holes no longer line up so I can't get at the broken bolts to drill and tap them out.

Anyone know what this plate is and how to remove it? I didn't want the mechanic to just start yanking at it or prying it off.

I have a 2003

(Sorry for the blurry picture, used my phone)

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the car since 2004 when it had 22,000 miles and had the transmission replaced at about 50,000 miles. The only thing I can think of is that they added this piece as a spacer or shim to when they put the new transmission in.

I've seen the plate you're talking about in the shop manual as a "reinforcement plate", and yeah, it is supposed to be mounted aft of the flexplate.

As soon as I get this fixed I'm selling the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems the plate was actually part of the flywheel that broke and stuck on the crankshaft flange as the rest of the flywheel was taken off. I found this picture in another forum of a stock flywheel someone was selling. So I guess I need a new flywheel. Anyone got one for sale???

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts