Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my body work is done now $6800 worth of damage so far, They took it to an alignment shop today and found they have to replace another part? curious as to what i broke? anything special other than the following that i should look at when i pick her up in 2 days.
Im checkin, paint match (duh) under pinning to make sure its been secured, and the parts sheet to make all parts were new and OEM. Plus a lengthy test drive before acccepting her back. This is my 1st wreck repaired vehicle I usually total cars when i wreck them.
:faint:

another quick question where do guys get the celica spoilers so cheap?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
spoilerdepot.com has just about anything you want.

As for accepting the car after it being fixed, I'd say take your time with the inspection and test drive. Go over it like you were detailing the car for a show. Maybe put her on a lift to see how it looks underneath. Listen for any rattles, push every button, turn every knob, and switch every switch.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Aug 22 2005, 08:35 PM

As for accepting the car after it being fixed, I'd say take your time with the inspection and test drive.  Go over it like you were detailing the car for a show.  Maybe put her on a lift to see how it looks underneath.  Listen for any rattles, push every button, turn every knob, and switch every switch.
[snapback]148218[/snapback]​

Agreed i was thinking about the lift. thanx for the help, the inconvience of it all is the worst part.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Jebz240+Aug 22 2005, 10:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SmoothZ
@Aug 22 2005, 08:35 PM

As for accepting the car after it being fixed, I'd say take your time with the inspection and test drive. Go over it like you were detailing the car for a show. Maybe put her on a lift to see how it looks underneath. Listen for any rattles, push every button, turn every knob, and switch every switch.
[snapback]148218[/snapback]​

Agreed i was thinking about the lift. thanx for the help, the inconvience of it all is the worst part.
[snapback]148226[/snapback]​

:werd: That's for sure. Her pristine virginity is now gone...

·
Registered
88 Posts
In addition to whats been stated already.

Check for "bondo" work after its been painted. I've seen bad work done before and you can see where they sanded it within the color coat.

Check to see what type of paint they used. Some places will use a cheaper single stage paint that does NOT require clear coat and thus does not last as long. Some cheap paint looks great at first but will flake off eventually or hazz up and the stock paint or primer can be seen underneith. Some places use good base coat and CRAP clearcoat. There's 2 types of PPG paint, one is called "OMNI" which is the cheaper of the two types. Only lasts about 5 years. Not too sure about other brands.

Prep is the most important. Some body shops take short cuts and the car looks great at first then u drive it around and its prone to chip VERY easily. If its a place that works with your insurance, assuming you have premium insurance then they will redo the work if your not satisfied.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by 24boosted@Aug 22 2005, 10:03 PM
In addition to whats been stated already.

Check for "bondo" work after its been painted. I've seen bad work done before and you can see where they sanded it within the color coat.

Check to see what type of paint they used. Some places will use a cheaper single stage paint that does NOT require clear coat and thus does not last as long. Some cheap paint looks great at first but will flake off eventually or hazz up and the stock paint or primer can be seen underneith. Some places use good base coat and CRAP clearcoat. There's 2 types of PPG paint, one is called "OMNI" which is the cheaper of the two types. Only lasts about 5 years. Not too sure about other brands.

Prep is the most important. Some body shops take short cuts and the car looks great at first then u drive it around and its prone to chip VERY easily. If its a place that works with your insurance, assuming you have premium insurance then they will redo the work if your not satisfied.
[snapback]148236[/snapback]​

Yea i already asked and they did not use bondo or body filler.. or so they claimed. Also informed paint guy it is a tri coat paint job.. ppw yea and the insurance said they assure satisfaction i dunno about a warrenty with the body shop though im gonna ask

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Every car has some amount of body filler, even new. I don't know what your car looked like wrecked but here are a few suggestions.

Check the body lines where the panels meet for uniform gaps and even level from one to the other.

Check for overspray on other panels not repaired. It will feel like sandpaper.

Check to verify that the undercoating was also replaced.

I had to take mine back a few times before trading her in for a new one.

Detail the **** out of the car, every nook and cranny. You will find the flaws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts