Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I woke up to my wife asking me why I left my windows open...I jumped out of bed with that sickening feeling that something bad had happened, and as I approached my car it something did. Someone poped the handle of the door, removed the lock and lowered the windows. They stole my laptop and some computer stuff.

I turned the car on to put the windows up, and when I take the key out, the windows go back down. So I assume someone knew the car well enough to do this!

My shop manual was on that laptop, could someone point me to a place where I can find it again?

I am so pissed rite now... :headshake:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
ouch! that really bites! .. i really get worried about my 1k $ head unit just sitting there begging for someone to take it..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
**** man sorry to hear about that. People just have no respect for anything

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's pretty messed-up that someone knew how to do that. Do you have any pics of how the lock looked afterwards.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Someone stole my radar detector a while back. They busted my drivers-side window though.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear about the break-in:( Did the car alarm go off? If not, why not?

Hopefully the car is not too badly damaged and you can resurect the computer files from back-ups.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
dam boogie that sux!! i had my car stolen and they completely stripped everything, i was really upset!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Bastids! I hope they get caught. I've been ripped off before, and I don't like the feeling that someone benefits from my hardwork (the illegal way).

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything can get replaced.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Oct 31 2004, 12:16 PM
Oh man, please dont tell me the Z has some security achilles heel that we dont know about...

This was discussed a good bit over at the other site several months ago. From what I recall reading it seems fairly easy to get into our cars because the lock is in the handle and the lock controls the windows. Pop the handle and you have access to the back of the lock IIRC. :lame:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I noticed that happen to mine shortly after I bought it. I went into Wal-Mart for 5 min and It was cold out so natually had the windopws up. When I came out I noticed that the windows were down about 5 inches but nothing was taken...dont have anythign in there, but still.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. And, to quote Vincent Vega :"What's more chicken*hit than *ucking with a man's automobile? I mean, don't *uck with another man's vehicle."

·
Registered
91 Posts
[/quote]

I agree!!! It seems that no one can have nothing nice in todays world. You work hard to get what you like and then someone steals it from you. That pisses me off so much!!! :xZ!o: If I ever saw a thief breaking into anyones car, even if it was a s2000, I would beat his ass just cuz it angers me that much.! :punch: :punch: :punch:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about your luck. I hope everything works out.

Since hindsight is 20/20, I thought I would offer a tip to all those that carry around a laptop or have a ZPC. You can install a script on your computer that "phones home". Basically, it is a JavaScript that runs in the background and is never seen. Anytime the computer is turned on, the script automatically reads the IP address and generates an email. It then sends the email to your address with the IP address inside. If the computer is sold or used without being wiped first, you will know from what address it is being used. Police can contact the ISP for that address and usually find the user. They would then get charged with receiving stolen property and you may get your stuff back.

A few people over at www.arstechnica.com (computer geek hangout) have done this with success. One person contributed to disrupting a major college theft network.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
That's a great idea, but man anyone who would sell a stolen laptop without scrubbing it first is probably already in jail :)

Sorry to hear about your Z! Just don't pull a Clarett and tell teh cops that you had 5K worth of clothes stolen and your insurance should cover it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Z security problem with the world. I'm sure the local car thieves will appreciate your heads-up. Now we are all at risk.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
[/quote]

This is a place for information sharing, not unnecessary bashing. If any car thiefs wanted information on how to steal a Z, they could find the same information in a thousand other internet sources, as well as all of the other z car forums.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts