Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is one drag I have to share with you Z33 enthusiasts/owners.

This morning, whilst driving to work, I lined up against a black Toyota Supra. When I driving from behind, I could not tell whether his Supra was a naturally aspirated version or the twin turbo.

From the exterior, the car looked very nice. It was nice because it wasn't "rice up" which tends to happen with these cars. The only two things I spotted that were aftermarket modifications were a HKS Drager exhaust system and lowered suspension. It was pleasant to see a pure JDM spec Supra than the "ricer" Supras which roam the streets of Victoria.

I lined up next to the car. I had my left window half way down and I looked left and it was a mature business man in his 50s. He looked at my car and he was pretty much getting ready to go. So was I...hehe. His car was slowing rolling forward. His car, at the lights was 1/2 a car in front.

So when the lights turned green, he went off but it wasn't aggresive launch. It was a nice launch. I then quickly took off and shifted at about 3900rpm in first gear (enough to make my bonnet be next to his window)

Because he saw my car's bonnet next to his door/window region, and because he was still in first gear, he quickly "mashed" his pedal and I could hear nothing but "whistle". Yep, that's right! Twin Turbo. By that time I was in second gear and as soon as he went for it, I quickly mashed my pedal. I was in second gear by this time which ideally was not at the peak power band.

So when he mashed his pedal in first gear, I could hear nothing but his sweet sounding exhaust and those turbos whistling away. To be honest, my heart beat was racing (no pun intended) but at the same time I wanted to see what my car was capable of.

Because he was still in first gear and his twin turbos would have developed enough boost as he reached his higher rpm range I was expecting him to jumped ahead pull away like there was no tomorrow. BUT........................even though it would have been ideal for me to shift at closer to 6500rpm in first gear before I shifted into second, the torque in 350Z was sufficient enough to help me go through second gear quickly.

By the time I finished second gear at ~6500rpm, I shifted into third and I was about 3/4 car lengths in front. I could hear his car and the point when he shifted into third. So I shifted into third and continued to mash my pedal. To my surprise, I started to pull away at rate greater than I had anticipated.

I finished my third gear and he backed off as he figured that it would be pointless to keep going. He then veered into the freeway. I looked left and saw him smiling at me and gave me a wave to acknowledge his defeat.

It was one adrenalin rush that I will remember for a while.

By the way, my Z33 has a Trust AirInx Filter with heat shield and cold air tubing. Exhaust wise, I have a Fujitsubo Legalis R muffler and midpipe. I have T-Pros Y pipe. I have a test pipe with high flow cats and SSChrome headers. basically fully aftermarket exhaust system. I also have a 5 wire grounding/earthing.

GO Z33Fairlady! :D

Kind regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:OMG: My nipples are hard.... :rolf2:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think the 'whistling' sound was the new Madonna song playing on the radio!
Cause a TT Supra will eat a NA zed without working up a sweat!

I think he was playing with you coz you should have been easily owned!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hard to say guys a TT supra will not definately eat a Z. Remeber a R33 GTS-T Runs mid to low 14s A Supra is in the 14's to becuase its definately not in the 13s and what's a Z's 1/4 mile? We've seen flat 14s from Stock Z's correct?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Hard to say guys a TT supra will not definately eat a Z. Remeber a R33 GTS-T Runs mid to low 14s A Supra is in the 14's to becuase its definately not in the 13s and what's a Z's 1/4 mile? We've seen flat 14s from Stock Z's correct?

Hard to say there is even a stock supra TT alive out there on the streets.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the 'whistling' sound was the new Madonna song playing on the radio!
Cause a TT Supra will eat a NA zed without working up a sweat!

I think he was playing with you coz you should have been easily owned!
Hmm...I do not doubt the superiority and blistering performance of the Supra Twin Turbo. However, I did have my left window down and I could easily easily hear his exhaust and twin turbos working hard. If he wanted to "toy" with me he could have easily blasted past me when he shifted into third gear but instead he didn't. He continued fanging it when he was in third and eventually backed off and waved to me and gave a thumbs up.

Either way, I'll take this as a win cos I will never get a chance to beat a twin turbo supra ever again unless I go forced induction myself :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In an "ideal" scenario with perfect launch and perfect shifting through gears, the Twin Turbo Supra would have pulled away. I guess I was "lucky" in this case :D

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
In an "ideal" scenario with perfect launch and perfect shifting through gears, the Twin Turbo Supra would have pulled away. I guess I was "lucky" in this case :D
even if he didn't launch well...and didn't shift perfectly...he still should have blown past you. maybe his car needs to be re-tuned. or...maybe he needs to learn how to drive a TT supra! haha!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If he was stock, it would actually be a pretty close race.

In stock form these things aren't much faster compared to the 350Z. Maybe a few tenths faster in the 1/4 mile?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
If he was stock, it would actually be a pretty close race.

In stock form these things aren't much faster compared to the 350Z. Maybe a few tenths faster in the 1/4 mile?

I agree 100%.. but it's soo difficult to find a stock supra any more.. I was looking before purchasing the Z, and holy crap batman...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts