Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won. By,.....a lot. And I have only had this car for about 2 months. So, it's bone stock, AT (you HAVE to have an automatic in the DC area, if it's your daily driver)

RX-8's are much, much slower than I thought. I ended up getting him by about 4 car lengths. But then again, maybe it's because I'm an old fart, racing for about 15 years. haha

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That no-torque havin' RX will lose lots of races to Z33. HP #'s compare almost favorably, but that rotary motor only has about 149 ft/lb torque....

Top end to top end on a road course, the race would be a bit more even...but still, the RX can barely pull itself through a curve...whereas you'll be lifting a little, so as not to go sidewayz.

Nice bug squash.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When shopping for my Z a year ago, I actually looked at an RX-8 just to comparison shop. In actuality, it didn't look like a bad car, but I never really realized they were noticeably slower than the Z. You would think it would be the opposite, but a 1.3L (2005 AT) engine might not compare well versus a 3.5 V6. In looking up the specs, some 2005 models only have about 198 HP, and then the newer models have 238 hp. After further review, I can see why the Z is the winner!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good kill, man! :irock: Where'd you smoke him? Silver Spring? Never liked Mazda's too much. Had a bad experience driving a buddy's RX7. No comparison to the Z IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
so true

the RX8 is for chicks

I disagree. The RX8 isn't for chicks. In the right hand it is very good on a track. It's just a bit underpowered. But the handling is superb.

Mazda didnt' set out for the RX8 to be a sports car. So considering that, it does very well.

Ayman, have you driven an RX8? Or just don't like the way it looks?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I disagree. The RX8 isn't for chicks. In the right hand it is very good on a track. It's just a bit underpowered. But the handling is superb.

Mazda didnt' set out for the RX8 to be a sports car. So considering that, it does very well.

Ayman, have you driven an RX8? Or just don't like the way it looks?

I REALLY don't like the way they look....& I liked the look of the 3rd gen RX7's just fine. I owned a 1st gen. RX7 for a while....not a bad $500 get-around, but no Z33, either, not by a lo-ong shot. Got to drive that 8 like ya stole it.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I REALLY don't like the way they look....& I liked the look of the 3rd gen RX7's just fine. I owned a 1st gen. RX7 for a while....not a bad $500 get-around, but no Z33, either, not by a lo-ong shot. Got to drive that 8 like ya stole it.

At first I really didn't like the look either. But it has slowly grown on me. Still wouldn't go and buy one.. But I think they are a nice car for what Mazda set out for. I liked the 3rd gen RX7's as well. Cult Classic.

Def. have to rev the **** out of the RX8.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:clap: Good kill....for an old fart.

RX8's don't impress me much. I have never raced one, but I'd take a bite on the track and twisties just to see how we could compete.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I considered an RX-8 and i have to agree they are no chick car.
Around town yeah, they feel really underpowered, but take a spirited run and get the revs up and they will put a smile on your face.
It is though a completely different focus than the Z though.
To me its like a S2000 coupe 2+2........lol.
But then again maybe not the S2k definately gets my respect.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Good kill. I am not a fan of the RX-8s either, but the RX-7s were nice, always wanted one before I got the Z but its rare to find one in good shape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep good kill for sure, had an RX-7 2nd gen and when the toss up came for the Z or the RX-8, after doing the test drives had to go with the Z.

·
Registered
334 Posts
so true

the RX8 is for chicks

Ayman, have you driven an RX8? Or just don't like the way it looks?[/quote]

+1

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't like nuthin' - including stinkin' Mazdas.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good kill, man! :irock: Where'd you smoke him? Silver Spring? Never liked Mazda's too much. Had a bad experience driving a buddy's RX7. No comparison to the Z IMO.
I don't know why I am just getting around to posting again on this thread now. Sorry!

Actually, it wasn't Silver Spring. It was Potomac/Bethesda, on the Clara Barton Parkway down by MacArthur Blvd. (we were headed south/east towards DC/495)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts