Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is a repost of my previous post. Apparently it is not "viewable". No dramas. The race/drag is still fresh in my mind :D

Well, it was in the morning when I saw a black AU Ford XR8 Ute zooming between lanes and taking off very quickly at every traffic light. So I decided to follow enough so that I could keep the car in my sight.

Eventually I managed to get behind it at a traffic light. The driver in the AU Ford XR8 Ute looked in his rear view mirror and saw my car and probably figured that I would be taking off as well from behind. By the way, this was a modified XR8 Ute as he had two "droopy style" exhaust tips on each side of the rear which obviously is not standard issue from Ford factory.

So, this is how the drag went. When the lights turned green, he shot off. I also took off, but also weary the fact that I didn't want to knock into his two bar. I shifted at ~5900rpm in first. I then shifted into second and at the same time I veered to the right lane. I had my left window half way down and I could hear his V8 working/thumping.

So while I was in second gear, my car pulled up right next to him. I then shifted into third at ~6500rpm and I pulled away. By the time I finished third gear, the distance between his bonnet and my rear increased, bigger than I had anticipated.

I was happy with the result as he had a V8 under his hood and we are running a V6.

In short, he was very very surprised because at every other traffic light, he was clearly in front until the Z33 was behind him. :p

GO FAIRLADY!

Kind regards,
Z33 Fairlady.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The AU's had about 220kW ... is that right? The FPV Utes are supposed to be very quick as they have 290kW.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AU's had about 220kW ... is that right? The FPV Utes are supposed to be very quick as they have 290kW.

Thanks for the post.
The AU Ford XR8 has a 5.0 litre V8. Yes, I believe they punch out 220 Kw.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeh 220 isnt much and those utes arent as light as you think..

supposedly the fpv ones weigh more than their sedan counterpart and are slower???

wait til you pull up next to a Typhoon, you'll be very surprised even a stock one!!
If its an Edited and tuned one then it will be no comparison.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You might be interested to note:

AU1 XR8 185k/w
AU2 XR8 200k/w
AU3 XR8 220k/w (although by all accounts this is a pretty **** optimistic figure)

You were a fair bit lighter and likely had more power then the XR8, not to mention the sh*thouse rear suspension on those AU utes. If anyone on here actually does get beaten in a race by an AU XR8, you need to hang your head in shame.

·
Registered
161 Posts
P.S yeah you'll get done by an FPV by about half a second over the 0-100 and quarter but take solace in the fact as soon as you both hit the first corner the Ford is toast :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
hehe yeh the FPV (well Phoon anyway) doesnt corner as well as the Z, but it is surprisingly good for such a big car and is MUCH closer to the Z than i ever thought.. the Boss engined FPV's are even worse though with the extra pork over the front axle.. but you forget all about that once the quad cam music starts up hehe

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a mate that just got a F6 - looks a bit better than the stock standard xr's but it sure goes like the clappers!

lots of torque, almost no lag and very very quick. Seems to handle quite well too. oh and did I mention quick!!!

I won't be messing with these F6's at all.

Also Ford has done a great engineering job as it was really hot on Tuesday and his car performed almost exactly the same run after run!

Still, I gave him **** about it still only ever being a glorified Falcon!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a mate that just got a F6 - looks a bit better than the stock standard xr's but it sure goes like the clappers!

lots of torque, almost no lag and very very quick. Seems to handle quite well too. oh and did I mention quick!!!

Also Ford has done a great engineering job as it was really hot on Tuesday and his car performed almost exactly the same run after run!

Yeah...I agree that the F6s are very quick cars (in both standing starts and overtaking).

However, I am a strong believer in that it is the combination of the driver and car that can "make or break" a straight line drag. I recall some fantastic drag strip results from an old thread produced by the following owners/drivers. Worthy results noted below:

KY350 (manual - stock):
-14.070 @161.23 (60' = 2.189)

Scathing (manual + Hi-tech exhaust + Azenis RT215 tyres):- 14.005 @ 159.84kph (60' = 2.042)

DavidM (manual + hi-tech exhaust):- run #7 = 14.071 @ 160.3kph (60' = 2.222)

Lionking (auto, stock):
- 13.816 @ 162.2kph (60' = 2.095)

I reckon, for example/argument sake, if DavidM was given a set of keys to a Nissan 350Z 6 Speed Manual fitted with upgraded cold air intake, plenum spacer, full header back exhaust and an ECU upgrade (eg. UTEC/Unichip), there would be some very very nice/pleasing results down the straight.

But obviously if the F6 was similary tweaked, then it's "all over red rover" for the 350Z.

Regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
258 Posts

I'd have to agree with everything mickeyboy says, although the styling does grow on you and looks a fair bit better than the XR6T - interior is also a lot better..

but yeh they are very quick with an assload of torque - dropping back a gear at about 80kph and its all over for whatever's next to you just about..

·
Registered
785 Posts
hey, it is amazing what some tweaking and a better turbo does to the Falcon engine (or more precisely the Xr6 turbo).
I went for another spirited ride yesterday and am getting more and more impressed with this car. May have to trade the wife's car!

It is amazing what some engineering (and a turbo) does to a fairly boring motor! Only if Nissan gave us a turbo or even twin sisters, and the zed motor is anything but boring!

Now to transplant the F6 motor into the zed!

Also, the new six speed auto is excellent. Seems like ford are overtaking the hsv's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey, it is amazing what some tweaking and a better turbo does to the Falcon engine (or more precisely the Xr6 turbo).
I went for another spirited ride yesterday and am getting more and more impressed with this car. May have to trade the wife's car!

It is amazing what some engineering (and a turbo) does to a fairly boring motor! Only if Nissan gave us a turbo or even twin sisters, and the zed motor is anything but boring!

Now to transplant the F6 motor into the zed!

Also, the new six speed auto is excellent. Seems like ford are overtaking the hsv's.
It is really good to see the Ford performance vehicles making a strong presence in the Australian car industry. Usually, this segment is dominated by HSVs which are awesome vehicles anyway.

The Ford XR6 Turbos really remind me of an Australian'ised R34 Skyline GTR. Straight six with turbo(s) bolted to the side and voila power and torque everywhere!

·
Registered
258 Posts
hehe yeh im glad Ford pulled their fingers out and offered something decent with a lot more tech (rather than pure displacement) to compete against the HSV boys!!
If Nissan applied some R&D and added a factory turbo option to the VQ it would be a weapon, best V6 in the world IMO

theres nothing as satisfying as being at the lights next to a big loud angry sounding 6 litre Gen IV, and then leaving it in your rearview mirror with nothing apart from a subdued whistling spooling sound and slight wastegate flutter..

The F6 reminds me a lot of the APS TT kitted Z, subtle and quiet everywhere and then 'hand of god' acceleration from the mountain of torque when sticking the boot in..
Some eastern states guys are getting 1000nm out of their edited and tuned XR6T's and Typhoons - thats SL65 AMG type torque !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts