Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may recall that I had a short motor replacement about 6 months ago due to undiagnosed oil usage. Well, my Z is in the shop again due to a little overheating incident 3 weeks ago and I'm still to get it back. The dealer that replaced the motor last July doesn't seemed to have properly refitted an L bracket used to keep the timing chain in place and it's eventually broken free and jammed between the chain and the internal water pump cog. The result was a blown radiator, thermostat and water pump. Not to mention the required replacement of the timing chain and all the guides. As per usual, Nissan dealers argued about who would do it and how it would be paid for (hence the delay). They are taking their time to ensure that the head wasn't cooked and nothing else has been damaged. Luckily the car wasn't running for long and their was still coolant in the radiator when I pulled over so I'm hoping any damage is already accounted for.

On the upside, I was loaned a 06 track to drive around. Wow!! what a difference to my old 03 Z. This is a real fun car to drive, it revs more freely, sounds so much better (even with stock exhaust) and has heaps of pull. I don't know if the engine has been tweaked any more than the 35th Ann mods but it's a so much nicer to drive. It also has a throaty air intake whistle reminiscent of a pod.

Other changes I have noticed: clutch is easier to depress, (a change in spring tension?), HID's (so cool & blue), lots of interior mods, the door trim now has solid handles rather than the flimsy plastic of past, drink holders in the door, radio controls on the wheel alongside the cruise controls, another accessory power socket under the dash on the passenger side, boot opener on the key fob, more aluminium trim around the shifter and climate controls. Other changes are probably already on the 05 model such as the revamped centre console buttons being moved out of elbows way, the dashboard cavity lid now raises straight up and doesn't recess into the dash.

I was really impressed, I am seriously considering trading in my 03 and getting an 06, it's that much of an improvement.

Jim

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
sorry to hear about the problems mate

i would say cut your losses and buy an 06

the 300hp engine is a great improvement, it feels more like a sports car now, and you're actually rewarded by revving it past 6000rpm now. Plus its shown to react better with mods. Once i put the exhaust and cats on my 300hp, the power increase was unbelievable, i gained all those 10nm torque difference + some, and it pulls even more cleanly to redline, but with alot more M3/F360 style rasp

i had a look at the 06 door trims up close as i was contemplating a swap, but was let down to find the panel insert and armrests arent leather, but some kind of synthetic material

i really like the illuminated cruise buttons on the steeringwheel. Ive got a set on the way, i hope theyre a direct swap

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks promising that I may be able to deal my way into an 06 model. Both Nissan and I want to cut our losses with my current car and the sales people I have talked too will only sell current model. Depends on whether or not we can write my current lease off without it costing me (to much).
So the 06 model is 300hp, so what did that make the 03 model?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
the 03 was the 287hp engine. Nissan is still using this engine on all autos. All manual 06s are now 300hp

changes incl. variable timing on exhaust, 7000rpm limit, different cams, different lower intake plenum with shorter intake runners, ecu, molybdenum coated pistons, stronger rod bolts, and a few other bits n pieces

1 - 4 of 4 Posts