Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Thought I'd put up some pics of my previous car, should be in hot4s soon, as just before I sold they asked me to do a . Anyways here are a few sneak preview pics that they sent me. So this will help you know what im refrerring to when I say my s15, lol. Now I got the 350.... and I LOVE IT,

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dammit does any1 know of anyways to shrink jpeg files, cause this site only lets you post no larger than 125kb, and all my pics are bigger than that, even of the Z

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Do you have an image editor like Photoshop?

If not, you can shrink the dimensions in Paint. Not ideal, but it'll work at a pinch. Click Image -> Attributes (just remember to change your width and height in the same ratio).

·
Registered
288 Posts
drenvy

Congrats on making it into Hot4's, nice action shot, I got my 350Z TT into the 2005 June edition of Fast Fours, front cover and centrefold which was awesome for me, never had a car good enough before.

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice dude !!

What kind of power & mods did the car have ?

L8TR

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
i like reading those insights into people's modded cars and what theyve done
I'd like it more if they were occasionally accurate. I've found Hot4s to be even worse than Fast Fours when it comes to people talking crap about cars, and I'm sure this isn't an isolated case.

I know another friend who had an S14a, who had his car featured in one of those "Fours" mags, where their staff barely saw the car. He filled out a spec sheet, took some photos, and that was almost it.

That's excluding some of the mentality that the owners are doing with their mods. The only insight I got from the articles is how little magazine people understand about cars, or how far away from reality the owners are.

My favourite for that was the old SP33D magazine, now terminated. In the last article they had a blue S15, and they panned the stock turbo for being weak with its "ceramic wheel". He should have called Nissan and gotten it replaced under warranty - I don't know if any OEM Silvia turbos are ceramic wheeled. Its a common Skyline issue.

Then there was his talk about buying those 19" wheels for "better handling". 19" wheels are not going to improve handling when your stock sizes are 16". Tyre profiles that low are not going to work on the street, and the wheels were cast so there's going to be a lot more unsprung weight.

But my all-time favourite has to be the comments on the car's aftermarket Japanese coilovers. They acknowledged that the ride might be stiffer than ideal for Australian roads, but the handling tradeoff was worth it. This in the same edition where John Bowe, their resident hot shoe, panned too-stiff suspension for being bad for handling when test driving a couple of GT-Rs on Eastern Creek, one of Australia's smoother race tracks.

Unless the heavier than stock rims do magical things to the stiffer than stock suspension and you somehow get a great combination, what the article says and what the mods do aren't on the same page. Having been in one or two big rim'ed, Jap coilover'ed Silvias I'm not confident that its likely.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what i can remember, (took it out of the ad just before I sold my car)

Exterior:
*Full genuine veilside bodykit
*18 inch rims,
*Carbon fibre bonnet
*Black chrome altezza rear lights
*C west eyelids,
*Tein Flex coilovers
*Whitline adjustable camber bushes

Performance:
* Pod Air Filter
* 3" Custom mandrel bent turbo back exhaust system with Hi Flow cat
* Custom 600 X 300 X 90mm Front Mount Intercooler
* Apexi Power FC Aftermarket Engine Management System
* Walbro 255L/hr intank Fuel Pump
* SARD Fuel Pressure Regulator
* Tomei 550cc Injectors
* Z32 Air flow meter
* Blitz SBC id3 D1 edition EBC
* Blitz Type S Bov

Interior
* Factory GT leather interior
* Pioneer Premium 2005mdl headunit
* JL audio splits
* JL audio 6 inch rears
* Boxed Pioneer 12 inch sub
* High quality sound deadening throughout the whole car

Made 197kw atw, was tuned by Protek,

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
197rwkw is alot of power........gotta love factory turbo cars

im pretty sure you will get that power out of the Z with the full range of bolt ons available.

but it still wont feel as quick because of the weight and linear power delivery

best go for an off the shelf APS TT kit, run moderate boost like DavidC, thats plenty of power for the street

Once i add the UTEC, im curious to see what i get out of the Ann engine, im hoping for around 190-195. It definitely does feel quicker than stock, even the old man could pick the power gain and he's used to driving cars with twice the power daily

·
Registered
139 Posts
197rwkw is alot of power........gotta love factory turbo cars

im pretty sure you will get that power out of the Z with the full range of bolt ons available.

but it still wont feel as quick because of the weight and linear power delivery

best go for an off the shelf APS TT kit, run moderate boost like DavidC, thats plenty of power for the street

Once i add the UTEC, im curious to see what i get out of the Ann engine, im hoping for around 190-195. It definitely does feel quicker than stock, even the old man could pick the power gain and he's used to driving cars with twice the power daily
Hi,

I am just wondering whether the 190-195KW which is your aim is achievable? Looking at the modifications that Richard made on his 350Z, even though it is not the Anniversary engine, his car produced an awesome ~206Kw at the wheels. However, Richard has probably the most modified naturally aspirated VQDE35 in this Australian Forum.

I have a full exhaust (headers, high flow cats, y pipe, mid pipe and muffler) and a upgraded cold air intake. I aim to fit a plenum spacer and either a UniChip or UTEC but I am "afraid" I will not even hit the 175Kw at the wheels mark.

If I could achieve 190-195Kw ATW, that is an awesome achievement for the VQDE35 atmo engine (without even upgrading the internals).

Anyway, where do you plan to fit the UTEC and get it tuned? Any advice here?

Thanks and kind regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i thought Richie dyno'd at 220rwkw

im pretty sure Jagermeisters base line dyno was 180 rwkw, something like that

so an extra 10kw from muffler, cats, intake, and utec should be achieveable

unless i remember the wrong basline value

190rwkw isnt an 'aim' as such, just an estimation on what i think it will be

in any event ill know soon enough

From advice by AP350, ill be getting the UTEC tuned at Sti docklands. It wont be for a few more months, as i still have to pay off my credit card after whacking on springs, shocks and tyres this month :doh:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sam,

I have got 209.5rwKW at the moment @ around 7700rpm (have not yet got tuned up completely, then I got a valve problem)... 220rwKW is based on the "calculation" from the "gains" on different dyno machines... I got 197rwKW on the first dyno machine, then further got another 23rwKW @ nizpro's dyno machine with Simon's tune (although the reading was 200rwKW on nizpro's dyno)... so the gain was 23rwKW and I was saying that if it was on the dyno machine that the car was on earlier, it would be around 220rwKW.... but we cannot really do this type of calculation... sorry for the misleading!

Getting 180rwKW is very hard (on N/A at least) and it all depends on the dyno machine that you are on though... I spoke to a few people and they told me that they could even make your car shows 250rwKW if that will make you feel happier... so it will be only nice/fair/meaningful to compare the dyno results out from the SAME dyno machine...

And with utec, I think it will only be able to do as much as unichip on the normal N/A car though... you should not expect the car to gain a lot more from utec than using unichip... and if you are going turbo or cams setup, yes, utec will definitely give you more freedom of tuning than the old unichip!

Lets say... IF and this is a BIG IF.... Nizpro's dyno and APS's dyno are the same (exactly the same)... and I have made 167rwKW on APS dyno with nismo exhaust, cats, K&N, unichip and flywheel... and I am making 209.5rwKW on nizpro's dyno with the rest of the mods that I have added besides those parts just mentioned... I have only gained 42.5rwKW in total... compare to any FI setup, that's VERY little... so it shows how hard it is to get power out of a N/A engine... And also presume that the engine was still making 206KW with 167rwKW on APS's dyno, it means that my engine is now making only 259KW roughly....

cheers,

richie

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah in the future, I will be looking at either getting the Z turbo'd, or SC'd. Dont know how extreme I wanna go just yet, I want at least 270kw atw, but im unsure if I wanna get more and go for a full rebuild. If I go full rebuild, then I will go turbo and push it up to about 420kw atw.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ray,

Although 420rwKW is good, don't think you can be able to drive it on the street with just rear wheel drives only... it is not a GTR, even a GTR with 420rwKW is hard to drive too.. :) and at the end, those power will be quite useless... even Nizpro's TT cars all have built engine, they don't go that far and still stay at around 300rwKW for the street driveability...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
so an extra 10kw from muffler, cats, intake, and utec should be achieveable ... unless i remember the wrong basline value

Richie summed it up nicely. The numbers are totaly meaningless unless you do them all on the same dyno ... and one that has got at least some reputation for consistancy.

So what you should be saying is what you hope to gain, not what number you're trying to reach. As Richie mentioned - the important thing for his car is that he's gained 42.5kW ... not what number is on his dyno plot.

As far as a 'baseline' for 350Z goes - it's anywhere between 140kW and 170kW depending on the dyno. If even more people got dynos done then the range would probably be even wider.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts