Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, after too much anticipation my engine is finally in as of last Saturday! The beast should be coming to life in a matter of dayZ!

Enjoy....

One of the infamous twins....many kills under its belt.

And the other infamous twin responsible for more kills!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pics...

Rising Rate fuel press regulator by Aeromotive

Too bad we won't get to see the sexy fuel rails below the Plenums

Lots and lots of heat shield wrapping by the Twins

Just had to spoil the beast a little more, Koyo Radiator.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:drool: Yeah, it's a shame some of those mods have to be covered. Red and blue always look good on the engine.

What's the weather forecast for when the beast awakes from her lair?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/quote]

Its suppose to be in the lower 60s all week!!! Definately top down driving everyday and I hope I am able to make it to work everyday :lmfao: Unfortunately though, I will be out of town for a few days starting on Friday so I hope I take delivery before then and get in a few miles to break her in.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, as I get closer and closer, the anticipation only gets worse!!! It has now been a little over 3 months since she first went under the knife.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Ernie,

Has the "wait" been due to getting parts and such? I know you had to get the new crank and block and everything. Did you go all-out and get everything blue-printed too?

How many ponies are you wanting to get out of her now? I would think 550 should be easily achievable with what you've done.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/quote]

Any advice I could pass along to my shop?? Thanks, Ernie

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/quote]

It took me about 6 weeks to gather up all the parts required to build the bottom end. Some of the wait was because of supply issues, some of the wait was because I wanted to hold out and get better quality parts and some of the wait was because I didn't want to go charging parts left and right. I paid as I went on almost the entire project thats why it got spread out a little more. What made it a tougher was the fact that I had just paid for my TT and install a month before. From there, the machine shop took an unprecedented month to finally bore, balance, blueprint everything. After that, my shop has had about 3 weeks after they received the block + parts from the machine shop. My performance shop doubled checked everything from the machine shop and built the engine. Although I know my shop has had my block for three weeks, they also managed to build Todd's bottom end on his engine too.

Luckly I was able to buy the main/head studs, AAM fuel return sys and Pauter rods from Julian. Thanks again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the info Ernie. By the way...those new fuel rails look incredible!!! You should be able to see the blue connectors and part of the rails once it's all put back together. :irock:

Back to the #'s...have any thoughts on what you want to get out of her?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[/quote]

So after the break in period I will be tuning it for the following.
Since I have new Tial wastegate springs set for 11.5psi and I have the ability to have two more settings with my boost controller.

So, when I end up tuning it the first step will be to tune it for 11.5psi. Since I have a compression ratio of 8.6:1, I would expect to see around 400-450rwhp. Then I plan to boost up to 15psi, which I hope will break the 500rwhp. This is based off someone's hp numbers from a different forum that had boost set at 13.5psi and was getting in the upper 400hundreds/lower 500s. I can't remember the exact numbers. Lastly, I really don't want to be the first guy to go past 20psi or go past 550rwhp. I will leave that up to some other daring individual that hasn't been away from his or her Z for so long. I think I will be able to break 550rwhp without going over 18psi though. I have test pipes, a good exhaust and a completely upgraded fuel system. If I remember correctly, I think Sharif was once talking about the Greddy turbos being pretty efficient around boost levels of 15-18psi.

I will definately post some numbers once the dyno is done. Since Todd and I will be dyno tuning the same day, we are shooting for two or three weeks from this Saturday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So close, I bet you can taste the exhuast fumes. :) Just a few more days, and you should be done.

Correct, the Greddy turbos actually reach peak efficiency right around 20-22psi based on the compressor maps and the RPM that our engine operates in. Although its a bit counterintuitive, turbo efficiency increases, and compressor outlet temps actually drop as the boost increases...up to the point of 20psi or so...at which point, efficiency drops, and outlet temps rise. All th more reason to get closer to 20psi. :D

Take your time, check for leaks, break it in..change the oil and filter...get the shielded crank angle sensor wire installed..etc..etc.. I am sure you will be thrilled just to have your car back.

Who is doing the tuning on your car? All i can say is be cautious and take your time. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/quote]

My shop will be doing the initial tune on my Z and I don't plan on having them tune it past 15psi. But, I am leaving NM on May 1st and heading to Connecticut. I already have plans to stop by and have Charles/CJ Motorsports retune my Z for the lower altitude and up to 18psi ish.

What type of psi plans do you have for your Z??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts