Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recon my Z and i make a great team. When we aren't out solving groovy ghost mysteries we are never the one to turn down a drag even if the outcome is obviouse....thats just me.

I thought i'd share some of the drag experiences i have had with my Z which has just clocked over 13,000km. I have had the 350 Z Track for 9 months now and the mods include a Hi-tech exhaust setup and K&N panel filter.

Fisrt drag was against a black really nice looking R33 on the way back from the Fast Fours jamboree. I had only just made 5,000km on the clock which was the limit i set myself before i to turn VDC off and have some fun. I had noticed this guys doin some swirving in and out of the traffic behind me so i knew when we puleld up at the lights he was gonna give it some. And did he ever, he gave it so much that he struggled to get traction. Meanwhile im flying threw 1st and 2nd gear just into third when i checked my rearvision mirror (yes he was that far back) when he started gaining me, unfortunantly for him the drag had to end short because of someone pulling out infront of me further up.

The second was against a **** sexy Black, wingless turbo supra. We where at the lights i heard the spool up and planted my foot. i had a great start, pull a good half a cars length on him, and slowly pulled further and further ahead, and when i was goin about 130km i hear this huge sucking noise as the supra flew past me. Pretty much left me for dead there. So i was guessing it had a single turbo conversion, and a pretty large turbo at that. Big lag but big boost onces its spooled up. I was so happy to finally have a good drag i was smiling for the rest of the night.

The second one was really stupid on my behalf but again, i just cant refuse a drag. Was against a TT supra which i thought was just NA till i heard it spool on take off. We were in the middle of brisbane city, nearing peak hour, heaps of people all around. so there was an audience of atleast 100. Light goes green we both floor it, i was having tractions problems as we go over the bumpy brisbane intersection, but once i hit second gear and did my 2nd geary i pulled about 1-1.5 car lengths on him, he then pulled in behind me and i saw his big ass front mount. As you can imagine i was pretty proud but also at the same time a bit worried of who was watching the drag. The drag only went for 1 block.

the next was against my mates V6 commo, but i wont waste any timing explaining that :p

the most recent one was a 3 way against a Audi A4 and a r33 4 door. It was the worst drag i have ever done, i did absalutley everthing wrong that can go wrong (except stall :p) I let the audi get a half a cars length on me to make sure he did want to drag before i punched it. i reved to high and it hit the bloody rev limiter and drops plenty of revs, i changed into 2nd huge 2nd geary drove all the way through to 3 where i missed it, and after a good long search i found 5th :p
Then looking over my shoulder to see the audi pulling in behind me i was that far ahead of him (he went bye byes when i was still in 1st) but the r33 was still coming up on me. by now the audio and i have caught up to the traffic ahead, but the skyliner doin what eyeliners do best, (show off) does a huge loser fly by past the audi and i a good couple of seconds after we have started braking. He sceams down the inside merging lane and disappears. We all had a good laugh at that one :p

There have been others, but no others where standing still. All highway runs.

:shiftdrive:

P.S i love my Z

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Not bad. Still, take it to Willowbank where its perfectly legal, you can stretch the car's legs, and both people know its on and can't "chicken out" before the other one does.

Your average Sydneysider seem to pretty much have given up on street racing, though. Most of my lineups seem to be the opposite these days. If I ever hit a set of lights with a nice sports car next to me, it seems to be a battle of who can take off the slowest and most "responsibly". It feels like the two of us are trying to find out which one will end up looking like they did the loser flyby / takeoff.

With the wide spread of torque in our motors, allowing me to shift gears at 2000RPM, I usually win these contests since other cars have to hold gears for longer and end up getting in front. :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
:lol:

Yeh...my days of street racing are long gone. Must be getting old(er)!!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I seem to encounter idiots wanting to race me in bumper to bumper peak our traffic, where they either ride my ass or mash the gas pedal for 2 sec so I can hear and see how fast there car is, in an attempt to intimidate me. If there was no traffic and I am not ferrying the missus around with me, I would gladly accept a challange.
But no challanges ever arise during opportune times.
I find that the Z is a quite intimidating car to regular motorists though. When I pull up at a set of lights in the left lane after avoiding a long line up of cars in the right lane, the car in the right lane wont challenge me and try to cut me off before I encounter parked traffic ahead in the left lane.
Its a nice feeling knowing that I've got enough power to get ahead of most cars from a set of lights.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I only had one challenge in sydney, it was from a commodore, I'm not sure what it was, but he had a custom license plate "360..." so I assume he was modded and I had no idea what that means, but I assume it's faster then stock. We were at a set of traffic lights and going slowly faster, just like scathing has mentioned, but I didn't bother changing the gear, at 4000rpm in 1st I've punched it and he followed (since he didn't bother changing gears either). We were neck and neck until end of my 2nd gear, at that point I've backed off since I didn't want to do a 2-3 gear change and embarrass myself with my grind happy 3rd gear. After I caught up with him he was celebrating his victory, I guess he didn't see me back off :)

I find that the Z is a quite intimidating car to regular motorists though. When I pull up at a set of lights in the left lane after avoiding a long line up of cars in the right lane, the car in the right lane wont challenge me and try to cut me off before I encounter parked traffic ahead in the left lane.
Its a nice feeling knowing that I've got enough power to get ahead of most cars from a set of lights.
I find this technique very useful when it comes to cutting down the travel time in rush hour traffic. For some reason I get people in 4wds trying to cut me off when I try to do it. The other day I had a CRV trying to cut me off, but 3rd gear from 30km/h took care of him with ease :) Also all of the RX8s refuse every challenge at the traffic lights, even if they tail gate me and try to provoke me, they will not race from the lights. I had one guy trying to show off in front of me in rx8 and he spun out and lost control right next to UTS when the streets where full of students.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts