Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wassup everyone. Im not sure if ive been driving my ar too hard or not, but my clutch wore out in about 8000 miles. Luckily my warrenty covered it but i dont think they will again. this isnt my first manual tranny. its actually my 3rd. and my clutch has never worn out before. does anyone have any info on what couldve went wrong and how i could prevent it from happening again? any info will help. thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
how ever you were driving before - do the opposite.

try to figure out if you are riding the clutch or too much gas too little clutch will cause the clutch to spin.

good luck?

·
Registered
7 Posts
and remember, you slip the clutch to get the car moving. you shouldn't ever have to slip it after the car is moving. that's what eats clutches.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
[/quote]

lol, I guess you're not familiar with 2nd and 3rd gear in the z then..

But seriously, you should pretend the clutch is really hot and it hurts to step on it. Also, when you're at lights, leave the car in neutral instead of holding in the clutch as this could cause premature wear on the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[/quote]

lol, I guess you're not familiar with 2nd and 3rd gear in the z then..

<div align="right">[snapback]108772[/snapback]
[/quote]

never had an issue with it. can't really understand why anyone would have to slip it. seems easy enough to me.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
If you meet the clutch engagement point with the same amount of throttle as was input before the gear change, the result is a smooth shift. Its easy once ya get used to it, but there is zero room for error with the z clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want to know how you got the dealer to cover the clutch. They told me the same thing as the other guy; the clutch is a wear item not covered under warranty....
so did you just get hooked up? or are our dealers lying to us?

thanks,
dan

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Jun 8 2005, 04:09 AM
but there is zero room for error with the z clutch.
[snapback]110646[/snapback]​

thats for sure

its taken me a good 1000km to get used to the clutch, the take up point and super sensitive throttle was very tricky

2nd for me is the hardest to smooth out, and sometimes ive found myself riding the clutch a bit trying to feed the power back in smoothly. Lately when the cars warmed up if im quick with the 1-2 shift, it doesnt give the revs a chance to fall and its alot easier to clutch out and power back on. But when the cars cold shifting into 2nd sometimes feels like the box just isnt cooperating

3rd is the easiest i find, so when cold for a few kays i just go 1st to 3rd, or start from the lights in 2nd

driving my dad's Ferrari, its the same, 2nd is very hard to engage when the box is cold, and quite jerky

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The warranty coverage depends on how friendly the dealer is, not all are the same it is not a Nissan thing but more the dealer whether they do not want to risk getting questioned or audited by Nissan.

The clutch I believe is more of a user problem, no disrespect, but I took mine out after 30K miles 10K of which were with the Greddy TT kit and it still had some material left, so I htink the stock clutch is good enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealership told me the same thing about the clutch: that it most likely is a wear problem caused by the driver & that the warranty wouldnt cover it. So if they pull out the tranny & find out it WAS caused by me, then they wouldnt cover & i would have to pay over 2300. but once they checked it out, they called me up and said that warranty would cover it. I didnt even bother to ask why. i was just so happy that i didnt have to pay. LoL. thanks for all your advice guys. Im open to hear more .

·
Registered
1 Posts
My clutch burned out at 25000 miles but also took the flywheel with it, nissan is claiming that it is not covered by the warranty, and i have to pay approx 4000 dollar to repair it.

I would to come into contact with people who have the same problem.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Originally posted by rgaastra@Jul 8 2005, 12:34 PM
My clutch burned out at 25000 miles but also took the flywheel with it, nissan is claiming that it is not covered by the warranty, and i have to pay approx 4000 dollar to repair it.

I would to come into contact with people who have the same problem.
[snapback]128777[/snapback]​

Well 4000 dollars is excessive, take it to a performace shop instead and get a better clutch and flywheel, I would get the ACT street clutch and Nismo Flywheel which you can get both for around 700-800 bucks and install should only be around 600 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts