Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we've been sheltering-in-place for weeks, I've found my '03 preorder track model Z to be a respite. Whether it's driving to the grocery store, or maybe across town to pickup dinner from one of our favorite restaurants, it remains a joy to drive. From the solid feel of the gearshift with the six-speed gearbox, and the smooth power from the VQ35DE, the Z33 remains a treat to drive. Gun it through a highway on-ramp or city block, and you don't have to exceed the speed limit to enjoy the sensation of controllable power.

Just as satisfying is the suspension tuning, which suit my personal tastes in moving towards slight oversteer with Koni 8241 dampers matched with Eibach ProKit springs. There's a few more bits and pieces that I installed to compensate for the slight 1" drop, but for the most part, it's perfectly suitable for a sportscar. The BBS R-GR 18" alloys and BFGoodrich G-Force A/S tires work well in our Colorado climate. That I selected and installed these components over the years and over 100K miles ago is part of the pleasure,

Music is another feature I enjoy with the Z. With MB Quart separates up front and MYQ coaxes out back. A US Acoustics USX-2100 amp provides plenty of clean, pure power, although the lack of a subwoofer was a conscious choice. I deliberately avoided adding the weight and complexity and relied on high quality components to produce superb sound that won't cause deafness. This past year I replaced the OEM headunit with a Kenwood Excelon DPX593BT, which I'm still learning to use. But the music remains sweet to my ears, so that (and adding Bluetooth hands-free calling) is worth it.

No, the ride isn't soft and you can feel and sense what the roadway is telling you. This year, I added a carbonfiber and leather flat-bottomed steering wheel (built on the framework of the OEM kidney bean shaped frame) to the Z and it definitely enhanced the interior. Driving the Z has always been satisfying and as we begin our second 100K journey together, surviving the Great Pandemic has been an adventure worth living! I hope other Z car owners feel the same way and tell their tales in this thread.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fronts are 18 X 8.5 35 ET and rears 18 X 9.5 20 ET. Forged alloys, light weight, pricey and NLA.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but I hope anybody who owns a Z and drives it during the pandemic ENJOYS it! Watch out for the speed traps though- people are getting tickets throughout the Denver area on vacant roads.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks- this spring it's been difficult to keep it clean. Snow, wind or rain, you name it, Colorado has it. Just as long as I can miss the HAIL. Today it was a pleasure to make a run into downtown Denver to get some takeout from a popup restaurant. Lots of fun, although it's the only driving we get on a regular basis these days. Anybody else enjoy driving their Zs around during these restricted times?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today the Z was filled with flattened cardboard boxes for the recycling center. After that, it wisked me over to the doctor's office for an appointment. Summer is just getting started here in Denver, but the Z's utilitarian qualities never get old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts