Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone just wondering if mounting the front plates where the grill is causes any problems? I got pulled over for some window tint in CA and he looked at my plate. The officer said on his "Z" he had to mount it on the front. I do not wanna mount it to the front bumper. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hi, everyone just wondering if mounting the front plates where the grill is causes any problems? I got pulled over for some window tint in CA and he looked at my plate. The officer said on his "Z" he had to mount it on the front. I do not wanna mount it to the front bumper. Thanks for the help.
In Canada this must be done, not sure if it's illegal if you don't have one in the front.

I remember reading that mounting in the front des not hurt the Z at all, another place I read said you had to drill into the bumper. Either way I hate the look of it. Makes the Z less attractive. (see sig)

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
No, it will not be a problem. Use plastic zip ties if you want it removable.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Canada this must be done, not sure if it's illegal if you don't have one in the front.

I remember reading that mounting in the front des not hurt the Z at all, another place I read said you had to drill into the bumper. Either way I hate the look of it. Makes the Z less attractive. (see sig)
Thanks TallanZ for your input. Yea, its illegal in CA not to have a plate in the front. I just want to make sure if i mount it where the grill is theres no problems.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your feeling genuine:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/mer...t_Code=ZEE-BRCT

Quoted:

"Avoid drilling holes in your 350Z's front bumper when you install the front license plate. "

a few lines down...

"You will need a drill and a 3/16" drill bit, as installation requires drilling two holes into the front grill."

fuckin eh
thanks, haha... im not gonna buy that. Ill figure things out.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I have my plate mounted in the grill and have no cooling problems and I live in the desert where I need max imum cooling.

I used 4 large zip ties. I took off the tow ring cover and turned the bracket upside down cuz it fit better and zip tieed the bracket to the grill. Cost was for 4 zip ties..

·
Registered
29 Posts
In Missouri it's Illegal as well but I haven't had one on since the day I bought it, a week later I bought some nice plugs for the holes the dealer drilled in the bumper.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

I've been pulled over multiple times and next once questioned about it. Just lucky I guess but I'll be damned if my bumper looks gay!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have my plate mounted in the grill and have no cooling problems and I live in the desert where I need max imum cooling.

I used 4 large zip ties. I took off the tow ring cover and turned the bracket upside down cuz it fit better and zip tieed the bracket to the grill. Cost was for 4 zip ties..
Thanks, Thats what im going to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Sawasan,
do you think you can share some pics of how did the plate bracket without drilling a hole? I am getting my 350Z this weekend and I know for a fact their is no hole for plate numbers which is good cause I really don't want to drill a hole, but as you know the California law still required a front plate and I want to know how you did on your with drilling a hole.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
You can use long zip ties to wrap around the ribs in the front grill. I used to to that but I've been freeballing for 2 years in Ohio and no $125 ticket to this point. The aftermarket brackets simply screw into the tow hook mounting hole. I carry my front plate with me and have a rehearsed excuse as to why it is not mounted in case of problems - depends on the LEO as to whether they will buy it of course. :rolf2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts