Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Combination of JWT pop charger and the MD 1/4" spacer:

Parked:

Engine idle fine, in fact I feel it's a little smoother. Did it fix the RPM dancing problem? the 10 min test drive shows a smooth idle [crossing my fingers]

The car is more responsive, when I rev the engine the RPM jumps faster than pre-installation.

Driving:

I feel the car is breathing better, driving 60 km/h on second gear engine sounds great and normal, punch it and the car jump right away reaching 120 km/h in about 3.5-4.0 sec, it feels faster to me.

A bunch of corner cutting moves and shifting down from 4th to 2ed rpm jumps to 5500.. no problem, I used to feel the car doesn't like sudden high rpm change, thats not the case here.

The Kit:

Complete kit nothing's missing and will written instruction. Quality is superb and material is identical to the plenum. Took me around 2 hours to install [slacking around].
Cover and strut bar retained, they included strut bar 1/4" spacers.

Overall:

Satisfied and happy with the product. It's impossible to see unless you'r looking for it . Definitely worth the $150 I paid

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]

Installation is easy. Just watch out for the two torque bolts [to the left and right of the plenum they use a nut to tighten the plenum] to remove these it's kinda of a challenge, use a 4mm deep socket wrench or follow the instruction for other method.

Strut bar took more time to remove than the plenum.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well my spacer arrived a day early so I proceeded to install it. Yeah those **** torque bolts are a pain. I took my time so it took me longer. When I got everything back together the plenum wasn't sealing right. So, I had to get everything off and realized that one of the post spacers is 3/8 instead of 1/4. DAMMIT!
They are suppose to overnight me a replacement. I went ahead and re-installed everything excluding one of the post spacers. Well what do you know, everyones claims about this mod is right. Thank goodness. Shifts are definately smoother and a little bit of kick
after 3500 rpm's.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Im kind of new to all this mechanics and mods........what is the spacer and what does it do? If it lets car go through shifts and idle better than Im ineterested.

Any pics by chance?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Does the stock strut tower bar fit with the spacer installed?? Is the engine torque gonna make the plenum contact the strut bar?? That could be real bad..

·
Registered
42 Posts
The kit includes spacers for the strutbar also. Everything clears, my kit was complete and the directions are very easy to follow.

I would take a pic but, wife has the camera.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Ahh very nice, makes sense to raise the strut bar 1/4" as well.

I'd love to see gains measured out from the 1/4" to the 1" spacers they make.. any dynos of all the models yet?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/quote]

Will dyno soon, I'm not sure if the 20s will effect the numbers.
I think they offer 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" spacers, Haven't heard about the 1"! and the 3/8" and 1/2" will not fit with the stock strut bar without hood modification, check out the pictures:

Looks wise, no thanks. But it does help dissipate heat from the engine [45F cooler according to some people]

Here is the kit:

On the car:

Pictures belong to nismo33 from the other site he has the 1/2" spacer
How the Motordyne Plenum Spacers Make Horse Power

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can't even see it on the car picture. Can't wait to see dyno numbers!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check this out, someone did a dyno of the 1/2" Motordyne spacer vs Crawford plenum on the same car, dyno and 2 hours apart

Blue is the spacer and red is Crawford
here is the link http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123040

Dyno of 1/2" vs 1/4" showed about 2 hp difference, so my 1/4" spacer is actually putting better numbers than the crawford.

·
Registered
909 Posts
WOW thats interesting information.
Here are some pics from my install.

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/BlueDragonZ/SpacerII.jpg');}" />

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/BlueDragonZ/Sidekick%20II/Spacer2.jpg');}" />

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/BlueDragonZ/Sidekick%20II/Spacer1.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just wondering. Do i need to get my Unichip Re-tune if i install the 1/4" Spacers? Will it change the A/F Ratio? Based by peter(APS) said it'll not change the A/F ratio that much. Just wonder if this is true?

Cheers

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update..

After a week and change from using the spacer, the car started to go back to the way it was.

Engine hesitation and spikes.. my rpm at idle is 500 rpm and the engine makes that sewing machine sound it used to make before the spacer. I’m blaming the fk’n ECU for that. I have access to a snap on scanner “Solus” and I was wondering if I can use it to reset the ECU instead of the manual reset?

db350z.. it seems that an ecu flash or the unichip will greatly help.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts