Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the title says. I'm somewhat new to the 350Z drive train and was wanting to know what kind of power you guys/girls are getting from them with the stock internals. I'm am mostly interested in higher HP applications, either turbo or nitrous assisted and in the 450+ rear wheel horsepower range.

I would also be interested in HP figures by guys that have rebuilt the motors with forged internals, rebuilt head, etc. Also with turbo(s) and/or nitrous.

I have been thinking about getting a Z for my next build and have been entertaining the thought of swapping in an RB26 with S/T and nitrous. Just trying to get an idea of what the Z's engine is capable of.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Anything over 400rwhp is a grey area.. engines start blowing around 380rwhp depending on who you ask, what kit is being run, and ho tuning is done.. but ive seen well tuned TT's run at 450rwhp for a long time

these engines still have some mysterious characteristics..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are some of the mysterious characteristics that you mentioned?

I have seen 250hp added to a bone stock motor (nitrous) and it lasted a lot longer than expected. We figured it was making about 500 to the rear wheels, so I figured 450rwhp should be all that hard.

What do you think about the RB26 swap? worth it or not? I really like the power you can get out of them, but it could turn into a lot of hassle.

How much power are guys getting out of rebuilt motors with turbo(s) and/nitrous?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Highest right now? 505rwhp. APS TT. APS Exhaust. APS Test Pipes. Installed and tuned by GRD Performance (tuner: Tuan)

There's actually quite a few in the 450rwhp range that just don't post alot.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by NX Jeremy@Jul 12 2005, 04:44 PM
What are some of the mysterious characteristics that you mentioned?

I have seen 250hp added to a bone stock motor (nitrous) and it lasted a lot longer than expected. We figured it was making about 500 to the rear wheels, so I figured 450rwhp should be all that hard.

What do you think about the RB26 swap? worth it or not? I really like the power you can get out of them, but it could turn into a lot of hassle.

How much power are guys getting out of rebuilt motors with turbo(s) and/nitrous?

Thanks for the info.
[snapback]130859[/snapback]​

The ECU going to limp mode is getting to be a problem. Also, reflashes are causing more trouble than anything (when paired with a piggyback) (if they adjust timing or afr).

Not worth it IMO.

Performance Motorsports is making 1200+hp on their full drag car, as of last year. Right now, the number to break is 630rwhp by an SGP Racing customer (see their site, then customers to see the Z). The one's who just rebuilt their motor and broke it in are at ~550rwhp.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
There have been quite a few RB26 swaps.. The cost is enormous due to alot of custom fabrication requirements.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.

So from what I've gathered it would be a good idea to go with a stand alone engine management system if I wanted 500+ to the wheels, and that the motors themselves are pretty stout but they have a few quirks to them (ie: ECU issues).

The RB26 swap would be nice, and the fabrication part of it wouldn't be a big deal for me.

Thanks again for all the info, keep it coming.

Jeremy

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Standalone would probably be your best bet if you are wanting to extract as much power on a stock motor as possible.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
engine cooling has become an issue for high hp applications.. the reason behind it is still unclear as far as i know, but there are some speculations:

-bad internal coolant flow characteristics
-weak water pump
-others that i cant remember..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts