Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning to plan out a two week trip to the west coast from the midwest in Aug 06, with the main reason being to take in the Historic Monterey event at Laguna Seca. Can someone tell us what to expect as to parking at the track on saturday and sunday? We're not really sure whether to take the bus shuttle from either Salinas or Monterey or just drive to the track ourselves. I understand there are two other entrances to the track rather than the main one on highway 68. Any advantage or disadvantage to any of the three? Can anyone tell us how well the bus shuttle works?

Thanks from Wisconsin,
Rich

·
Registered
620 Posts
There is ample parking at the track and the crack up is there are Ferrari's and whatnot parked next to old civics.

If you are bringing something worth being in a car corral (a 350Z for instance) you might be able to park there. It's sort of lame but it's closer than parking in the regular lots.

The historics are awesome, some of the coolest and rarest cars around show up there and you can walk around the pits, feel the thump thump thump of V12s and big block V8s roaring to life, as well as every other manner of race-able mechanism from the last one hundred years.

Never done the shuttle thing. I usually just drive down through the twisties and show up there.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After being scared away from staying in the Monterey area by skyhigh hotel prices (plus most everything is booked already) we got a room north of Salinas on 101 for 3 nights that weekend. Would it be best to get to the track via 101 through Salinas and then 68 to the main gate? Or is there a better way? Would there be a corral for Z's? We have an 06 IF Touring Coupe, btw.

Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
620 Posts
There was a Z corral this last year, I can imagine they will do the same again.

The Historics are a fairly low key event, it's not like NASCAR, I don't think the crowds will be as bad as you think.
The line at the gate moves pretty well, it's not much of an issue. Coming in on 68 is a good choice, that is probably what I would do coming from there and it's the way I usually go home (I take the back roads down in the morning).

Monterey is busy all summer long and they know that weekend they can take people to the cleaners, so they do. It's a neat little town though, so if you have time to check it out, it's not bad for an afternoon.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the info Chris. Nice to see your comment on the fact that the Historic is relatively low key. I'd read elsewhere that Laguna Seca events can sometimes be a traffic nightmare. That's why I brought up the shuttle question. We'd planned on spending some time in Monterey, probably after Saturday or Sunday's races. My wife is intent on taking a whale watch cruise from Monterey too, but I'm thinking that may have to wait till Monday morning. Maybe we'll bump into you on either day at the races if you go this year. If there's a corral we'd likely be parked there. Look for an 06 IF coupe with Wisconsin plates.

Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can take the back entrance through Hwy 68 on Reservation Rd., but as you should know they close up that road when the races end so thats what causes the traffic. It would be better for you to take a shuttle there possibility from Embassy Suites if they have one, never took one. I'd rather drive there since I like the front entrance when the event ends.

As you should know why I know this much, cause I lived in Salinas all my life but now I live in SoCal. So its best if you love twisties then use the back entrance but be warned that theres cops on there so keep a look out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts