Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious how long a job like this would take or how expensive it may be to get done. I'm just curious to see how much it would cost to get a Greddy lip molded to the front bumper. I love the way molded kits look, but I know the dangers of it. It can mess up the entire bumper if it hits something.

I was just wondering if anybody has done it and if so, how much did it cost to get your body shop to do it? Also, some pictures would help of molded lips. Especially the Greddy.

Thanks!

Buddy

·
Registered
155 Posts
What is the Greddy lip made of? One problem with molding is that metals/plastics have different qualities and expand or contract at different rates causing the mold to crack even if you don't hit anything... this isnt a problem if you live somewhere with a relatively stable climate and not much cold weather. If the greddy is fiberglass I'm not sure how well it will mold to a plastic bumper. I'm sure it can be done, but molding was always iffy to me.

Note 2, which you already are very aware of, is wacking it against a curb, speedbump, etc. I did a little damage to my Veilside Carbon Fiber this weekend when I nudged a curb with it. Nice big scrath in the lip, black scratch from the lip on my plastic bumper, and two bolts came unmounted. Sounds bad, but could have been 100x worse had I been molded. I simply went home, remounted the two bolts I lost, sanded the CF clear and re-cleared it, and took some RainX to the black scratch on the bumper and it came right off. Throw a little wax and buff on the area and you can't tell anything happened. Would have been a different story had I been molded.

I vote for just getting the Greddy lip installed normally. Your car is lookin real hot bro and the lip will only improve the look. Most people wouldnt even notice a mold. Molding is for those 65,000$ Hot Import Nights vehicles that never get driven IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
The hilite pic in my garage shows a V1 lip molded in to the front bumper. Cost was $690 US for paint, paint labor, molding labor & supplies.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i am molding a fiberglass lip to the stock urethane bumper. If you use the right material it will bond well, but yes you run the risk of damaging the entire bumper if you hit something..

greddy lip looks pretty crappy if not molded though.. looks like it is just taped on

i am doing the work myself, but i vote to have it molded

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen the Greddy lip molded before. Maybe I should look into a different kit... or maybe even an aftermarket bumper like the Nismo replica full replacement.

I just don't want to risk messing anything up, especially if it isn't driver's error like whacking it on a curb. I'd hate to have things cracking because they didn't bond together.

I guess it may be back to the drawing board with this idea...

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
you are just as bad off getting a fiberglass bumper.. you nick a curb and its bye-bye front end..

get a urethane lip and mold it...Then you have the flexibility of urethane all around.

Isnt the greddy lip urethane? I know veilside has one.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it is.

From what KShep posted, the Greddy will be just as expensive to get molded in and all of it painted as it would be to buy an aftermarket bumper and get it painted. :dunno:

I'm trying to weigh my options today and look into a few more things. I guess I'll see what I can come up with. I discovered that somebody hit my front bumper a few hours after I posted this, so now I'm really wanting to get something done...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts