Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were installed last week. The molding and the filling in of the emblem indentation turned out very nice. The color match did not...as soon as she's re-painted I'll post up some better pics.

Lesson learned...if the shop over sprays your car...clay bar will remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Originally posted by KShep@Oct 27 2004, 08:27 AM
These were installed last week.  The molding and the filling in of the emblem indentation turned out very nice.  The color match did not...as soon as she's re-painted I'll post up some better pics.

Lesson learned...if the shop over sprays your car...clay bar will remove it.

Nice body work Kshep!!! Hiding the lines of the lip makes such a difference. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Looks great! What didn't match? My chin spoiler doesn't look like it's pearl white, but it doesn't matter since eventually I'll get a new front fascia. I'm even thinking of getting a cf hood instead of repainting that because of the rock chips.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments..it was a very difficult decision to add anything to the car...I really like the stock lines.

The paint color match is off...in natural light it is difficult to tell, but under artifical light it becomes more noticable. I may just take the bumper of and let Rob do it...he'll get it right. The skirts ...you can't tell so I'll leave them alone.

I've lost about 10% of my air flow opening though...may have to rig up a water spray for the inetrcooler.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice! I'll be molding my front soon. Good to see pics of how it will look. Good job.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by KShep@Oct 27 2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks  for the compliments..it was a very difficult decision to add anything to the car...I really like the stock lines.

The paint color match is off...in natural light it is difficult to tell, but under artifical light it becomes more noticable.  I may just take the bumper of and let Rob do it...he'll get it right. The skirts ...you can't tell so I'll leave them alone.

I've lost about 10% of my air flow opening though...may have to rig up a water spray for the inetrcooler.

how much did it cost you to get the emblem shaved + repait, did they have to repaint the entire bumper?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They will re-paint it due to the color match error for nothing.

Originally, yes, they had to repaint the entire bumper. Prep labor for the molding and shaving was 10 hours plus 7.5 hours paint labor plus 7.5 hours paint prep/ 3 hours labor on the skirts...total cost excluding parts was $884.

They did not break out the cost of shaving the emblem and filling the indentation...don't know if this would require the entire bumper to be painted...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Lets see some wide angle shots of the whole thing!

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by cedusett@Oct 27 2004, 02:57 PM
Lets see some wide angle shots of the whole thing!

It's dark when I leave for work and pretty dark when I get home...

I'll try to get some more up either after it's repainted...or this weekend if I am able...

Thanks Art...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Kenny you have an absolutely beautiful car. We need some full size pics of that thing

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Dave079@Oct 27 2004, 04:12 PM
Kenny you have an absolutely beautiful car. We need some full size pics of that thing

Thanks very much Dave...I'm almost done with her but it has been so much fun...even with a few set backs. I'm getting the bumper re-painted next week and I'll get some decent pics up.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by LBSOHK@Oct 27 2004, 01:40 PM
nice Kenny ! I dont have to say how much I love your car :wub:

sorry about the paint not matching exactly...

Correct match for Silverstone...

I think I have the correct formula and know what caused the problem...

PPG paint code (sparkly silver) BC 5873 B

Base coat...use DBC...not Global..

The shop used Global on mine and it is not reflective...kinda dark. The shop that had previously painted the bumber cover used DBC as a base coat and the color match was near exact. I will know for sure by the middle of next week if the base coat was the source of the problem...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Kshep,

Do you know how they went about filling the recess? Did they just use a filler, or did they melt the plastic and bring it flush?

The reason I ask is because I redid mine because the filler would expand/contract in extreme heat/cold. I used Evercoat Poly-flex (which is VERY flexible) and it just wouldn't bind enough. So, I ended up sanding it all out and just melting the plastic and pressing it into shape...then doing the poly-flex over that.

So far so good.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am assuming that he used a "filler", but will inquire when I see them on Monday. I read a thread on my350z some time ago about a "new" epoxy type product for this application...but I can't find the thead now.

Glad your solution is working...anything is better than the "burger".

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Looks nice & clean...as for the color.....give some time for chips & scrapes we're all bound to get & shoot it again....

Losing the emblem cleans up the nose real nice...& I like the lip molded in.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks bro...waiting for those little dings could take awhile though...she's 1 year and three weeks old and 4040 on the odometer...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts