Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a Z. I’m wondering if I put just bolt on mods as well as new wheels and tires but no tune will I be gaining horsepower. I don’t want a Z that is like a race car with a lot of hp I want one that I can take up to some roads and cruise but also have some good speed. Anyone have recommendations on what I would do to it?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Welcome- bolt-on mods without a tune are virtually useless. Nissan did a fine job of extracting most of the power from the VQ engine line and unless you're willing to shell out $$$ for FI, there's plenty of "good speed" already there. My suggestion are to properly assess a good Z car by hiring a separate mechanical assessment and pay for a full report. There will be some items to refinish and restore, so budget for that. Change the fluids and replace the worn parts with higher quality parts (shocks, brakes, etc) to return the car to baseline spec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im thinking about getting a Z. I’m wondering if I put just bolt on mods as well as new wheels and tires but no tune will I be gaining horsepower. I don’t want a Z that is like a race car with a lot of hp I want one that I can take up to some roads and cruise but also have some good speed. Anyone have recommendations on what I would do to it?
You might get a couple on HP with a cold air intake, maybe a high flow exhaust, but the stock engine is pretty good. Of course ya can’t have to much HP.............

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Increase air inflow with a cold air intake, a plenum spacer, and a bigger throttle body. Then you can increase crankshaft power by using underdrive pulleys. And lastly by reducing outflow resistance with either a dual catback exhaust or downpipes and exhaust manifolds you can stretch out maybe and extra 30 hp. Of course a tune should be done after all this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts