Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be using my newly-acquired Z as a daily driver. As far as I can tell the car has a LLLOOOTTT of potential but I need to know what it is that I need to install in order to make it a bad-ass ride without sacrificing a lot of rideablility. After reading yur posts I have come up with the conclusions that I need the following:

-ECU Flash
-Intake
-HEDDERS
-TEST PIPES
-CAT BACK SYSTEM

I would really appreciate any hints on what I could use.

Ciro

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
looks like a great list to start for a daily driver. I just started on the performance components of my daily driver and my list is similar. I am thinking of a UR Crankshaft Pully also.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by yfz450@Jul 23 2005, 11:09 PM
I will be using my newly-acquired Z as a daily driver. As far as I can tell the car has a LLLOOOTTT of potential but I need to know what it is that I need to install in order to make it a bad-ass ride without sacrificing a lot of rideablility. After reading yur posts I have come up with the conclusions that I need the following:

-ECU Flash
-Intake
-HEDDERS
-TEST PIPES
-CAT BACK SYSTEM

I would really appreciate any hints on what I could use.

Ciro
[snapback]136324[/snapback]​

My advise from my experience:
forget the intake and headers

The flash is only good for a raised redline, beyond that gains are marginal

get testpipes and catback along with a crank pulley. Beyond that, lightened flywheel and clutch and 3.9 final drive are your best bets if staying N/A

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Aaron, you twin turbo ***** you! :lmfao: Live us poor NA folks alone. :jk:

Def go with the pulley, and if you can afford it (time spent on install and price) then go for the flywheel and clutch before you get used to what you have now.

I have straight test pipes, Crawford plenum, and the JWT intake. Not much, but it's my daily summer driver and I love the **** out of her. Someday I'd like to go at least single turbo...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jul 24 2005, 08:08 PM

Def go with the pulley, and if you can afford it (time spent on install and price) then go for the flywheel and clutch before you get used to what you have now.

I have straight test pipes, Crawford plenum, and the JWT intake. Not much, but it's my daily summer driver and I love the **** out of her. Someday I'd like to go at least single turbo...
[snapback]136558[/snapback]​

Just take up one of the many CC offers mailed to you everyday and order a kit up. :rolf2: I'll have to make it out your way again now that I have the small kinks worked out of the car. You got one of the very first test rides, the car, and driver, are more refined and used to the power.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by Zivman+Jul 24 2005, 10:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SmoothZ
@Jul 24 2005, 08:08 PM

[snapback]136558[/snapback]​

Just take up one of the many CC offers mailed to you everyday and order a kit up. :rolf2: I'll have to make it out your way again now that I have the small kinks worked out of the car. You got one of the very first test rides, the car, and driver, are more refined and used to the power.
[snapback]136567[/snapback]​

:nana: Yeah, that's easy...the hard part is paying it off. Wait, maybe I can borrow from my 401k!!! :faint:

Give me a shout when you can. I was just thinking about you and the car the other day. Hope all is well on the homefront.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I recall that the price for the Stillen kit is pretty hefty, but I guess that's the price you pay for a name and the warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard that adding too much mods to the car will confuse the computer and it may actually make the car sub-perform. Has anybody heard about this? at this point I will do the mods one at the time. I already have an AIR HOG stock replacement filter. My next mod is to get the test pipes. I have also heard that the stock exhaust will work just fine as long as I get test pipes. Since this is my daily driver I do not want to make her too loud...what do you guys suggest?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by yfz450@Jul 30 2005, 01:45 PM
I have heard that adding too much mods to the car will confuse the computer and it may actually make the car sub-perform.  Has anybody heard about this?  at this point I will do the mods one at the time.  I already have an AIR HOG stock replacement filter.  My next mod is to get the test pipes.  I have also heard that the stock exhaust will work just fine as long as I get test pipes.  Since this is my daily driver I do not want to make her too loud...what do you guys suggest?
[snapback]139536[/snapback]​

Get rid of the filter and go with a cold air intake (CAI). Test pipes are all about what you want to spend. Most of them are pretty good. Just read around and do some research.

The computer does not get confused. However, you will eventually have to get it reflashed if you do many mods beyond exhaust, intake, plenum, pulley, and headers. All of those affect your AF ratio in one way or another, and you will need to get that corrected for best performance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd just bother with:

-Test pipes
-3.9 FD Gear
-Lightened Flywheel & Clutch
-Crawford Z Plenum

I couldn't feel any difference with intake, exhaust, headers, or UR pulleys and IMO are a waste of money.

The one's I listed are mods that you will undoubtedly feel w/ your butt dyno. I personally have only done the Test pipes & plenum from that list, but those two alone I did sperately of each other, and they both made a definite difference. The other's I've experienced on other cars and I just haven't gotten around to doing those mods yet.

·
Registered
588 Posts
First post...

I bought my ZR a month ago. I'm lucky to live in MD, so I took it over to AAM and added a few goodies. My ZR is my daily driver. The guys at AAM hadn't done a ECU flash on a 6spd '05 ZR, so they are buying an ECU and sending to Japan for the initial programming.

AAM provides great service and after adding everything, my ZR pulls much stronger (for NA at least).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by BobbyRitz@Aug 26 2005, 11:19 AM
First post...

I bought my ZR a month ago.  I'm lucky to live in MD, so I took it over to AAM and added a few goodies.  My ZR is my daily driver.  The guys at AAM hadn't done a ECU flash on a 6spd '05 ZR, so they are buying an ECU and sending to Japan for the initial programming.

AAM provides great service and after adding everything, my ZR pulls much stronger (for NA at least).
[snapback]149614[/snapback]​

You still have the stock exhaust on? What kind of #'s do you think you're getting or have you done a dyno yet?

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Originally posted by BobbyRitz@Aug 26 2005, 11:19 AM
First post...

I bought my ZR a month ago.  I'm lucky to live in MD, so I took it over to AAM and added a few goodies.  My ZR is my daily driver.  The guys at AAM hadn't done a ECU flash on a 6spd '05 ZR, so they are buying an ECU and sending to Japan for the initial programming.

[snapback]149614[/snapback]​

What did you get besides the ECU flash?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by Juztin@Aug 24 2005, 08:13 AM
I'd just bother with:

-Test pipes
-3.9 FD Gear
-Lightened Flywheel & Clutch
-Crawford Z Plenum

I couldn't feel any difference with intake, exhaust, headers, or UR pulleys and IMO are a waste of money.

The one's I listed are mods that you will undoubtedly feel w/ your butt dyno.  I personally have only done the Test pipes & plenum from that list, but those two alone I did sperately of each other, and they both made a definite difference.  The other's I've experienced on other cars and I just haven't gotten around to doing those mods yet.
[snapback]148738[/snapback]​

Wow! I will save $2k then if this is correct

1 - 19 of 19 Posts