Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to mod my Z on a very moderate budget. I recently had plenum, test pipes, dual exhaust, and a pop charger put on. I also have pulleys and headers waiting to be installed when I raise the proper funds. In the meantime I am shopping around and trying to figure out what direction I want to go with my modding. I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I am not going to be able to afford a turbo or supercharger in the near future. So I am thinking of doing 350Evo Final Drive and or a wet nitrous kit. My automobile knowledge is rather limited. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the above two mods will work well in conjunction with each other. Or if I would be better off following one route or the other. Also on the topic of the 350 Evo, ( I have a 03 Track Model with VDC btw.) what would the benefit be of installing it with a Nismo LSD. Any help on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rich

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by RichieZ@Jul 20 2005, 06:04 PM
I am beginning to mod my Z on a very moderate budget. I recently had plenum, test pipes, dual exhaust, and a pop charger put on.  I also have pulleys and headers waiting to be installed when I raise the proper funds.  In the meantime I am shopping around and trying to figure out what direction I want to go with my modding. I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I am not going to be able to afford a turbo or supercharger in the near future.  So I am thinking of doing 350Evo Final Drive and or a wet nitrous kit. My automobile knowledge is rather limited. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the above two mods will work well in conjunction with each other.  Or if I would be better off following one route or the other.  Also on the topic of the 350 Evo, ( I have a 03 Track Model with VDC btw.) what would the benefit be of installing it with a Nismo LSD.  Any help on the topic would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

Rich
[snapback]134829[/snapback]​

I've asked (and several others have as well on various boards) a similar question about the 3.9 with a super or turbocharger, and the consensus seems to be that that much power in combination with those gears makes 1st and 2nd gear useless as traction is non-existant. I imagine it would be similar with a nitrous setup, but I guess it depends on how you plan to use the car.

An upgraded LSD will enable you to distribute power more effectively to both wheels, which would be even more desirable with the 3.9 gears. The disadvantage of the Nismo (and other similar clutch type LSDs) is noise when it engages. Some people report more noise than others. If it's something that might bother you, you might consider going with the Cusco RS or OS Giken LSDs, although I think they are a few hundred dollars more. Also Quaife has just released their Torsen-type LSD for the Z33.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant the nitrous be set up to only spray post third gear, negating the traction loss in 1st and 2nd?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by RichieZ@Jul 20 2005, 08:18 PM
Cant the nitrous be set up to only spray post third gear, negating the traction loss in 1st and 2nd?
[snapback]134927[/snapback]​

I'm pretty sure you have have the nitrous activated at any time you'd like.

sean

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Yeah nitrous can be used whenever you want. It's something you control, not the car. I wouldn't recommend going with a big shot of wet when you're at redline in 1st gear, but you can do it whenever you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RichieZ,
Depends on what you're intending to do. Are you tracking or using on street and wants cool mods. Just throwing mods on can be fun but may not be truly beneficial until you know the end game. For instance, lots of folks have realized that mods don't show much without having the ECU remapped. I believe the name of one of the companies that do this either Infosquare or Technosquare. They remap the ECU based on the mods you have done.
You're doing a lot of power mods without upgrading brakes or suspension.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
3.9 final drive and FI is perfectly fine granted you have traction. I have turbo charged vehciles with a 4.285 final drive and they rip.

It is VERY unfortuneate that the consensus is 3.9 Fd and FI don't work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts