Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if someone else just posted this but I just got this email from Mobil 1 discussing their new and improved motor oil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Registered User of Mobil1.com,

Mobil1.com has been enhanced and renamed to coincide with the introduction of the Mobil line of high-endurance motor oils. These new motor oils deliver proven performance and guaranteed, long-lasting protection of critical engine parts for 5,000, 7,500 or 15,000 miles.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to their WEBSITE

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1.

This all seem very interesting. I guess since I'm using Mobil 1 anyway might as well switch to their NEW formula but maintain my oil changes every 3K miles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mobil 1 sucks, use Amsoil.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Blue, I do the same thing, use Mobil1 and change regardless every 3000 miles....I don't think I wait 15K miles or a year, it would KILL me~

Airbag, I have had no probs w/ Mobil1, I don't think it sucks, brand is a matter of preference....:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Right. I wouldn't go saying it sucks... and Amsoil is increibly hard to find in most stores.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would really suck is if you actually waited 15K miles to change your oil. :doh:
I am curious however on WHY does Mobil 1 suck over Amsoil.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think if you read the fine print for these claims, you would see that a 15K interval would be achievable but only under the optimum conditions!

That means no short trips to the supermarket, etc, etc!

Not the real world that we all live in!!!!!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
You would also have to change your oil filter though in between those 15k miles

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[/quote]

+1...every 3K miles....3500 tops.
<div align="right">[snapback]71787[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can't even wait until 3k, usually I change it a couple of hundred miles before. :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/quote]

+1...every 3K miles....3500 tops.
<div align="right">[snapback]71787[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can't even wait until 3k, usually I change it a couple of hundred miles before. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Trust me Mobil 1 Sucks,Amsoil was THE FIRST oil maker to invent full synthetic oil, they pioneered the stuff. Amsoil is rated for 25k non-turbo applications no ideal conditions included, amsoil is easy to get it's all over the web and ships in 2-3 days to your door for just a tad over what you would pay for the horrible gimmick Mobil 1. I have been running amsoil in my car just under 6k, I haven't burned a drop and it looks smells and feels (to the touch) like it did when i put it in, Amsoil is the best in the world. It out performs Mobil 1 in every single category not to mention other leading oils outperform Mobil 1 in 5 out of 7 of the major categories!!!, check it out...Mobil sucks a lot.

Amsoil is the best in the world (click here)

·
Registered
150 Posts
No pun intended to the Royal Purple users out there, but Royal Purple sucks a lot too, check it out:

Royal Purple Sucks Too (click here)

Royal Purple came in a long 7th place Mobil 1 took the #3 spot behind BP, and Amsoil was #1.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Well quit your soapboxing and post a link to where I can find some amsoil - and they have filters as well I assume?

·
Registered
150 Posts
[/quote]

Soapboxing rules, link is below, yes.

Amsoil

·
Registered
785 Posts
Oils, oils.....I had my car serviced yesterday by a guy called Peter Pilkington (known as Nizmopete on the forums). His son races a 350z in Australian GT cup. He knows alot about the zed, has built & rebuilt many times.
Anyway, we had an oil thread recently in the Oz forum & I asked him what he thought. He is a very straight up & down guy, he told me ANY oil as long as it is the correct viscosity is fine for our engines.
Also the service manual states 10000km or 6000 mile intervals for oil & filter, so there is nothing to worry about we the oil going 'off' and damaging engines.
Save some money!

·
Registered
150 Posts
[/quote]

No, first your engine will kick at 100k, then straight to **** you go.

j/k :wavey:

·
Registered
150 Posts
[/quote]

Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Airbag79, it seems that you are full of it. Considering that the studies you post to are on amsoil website. Considering that Peter P has 5 350z engines and had them apart more times then he could remember. I would say that he knows more about oils then you would ever too.

Now considering that one I'm of those people who spends loads of money on an oil since I use Motul 300V, I don't think that cheaper oils are bad for the engine. But if I was using a cheaper oil, I would get an oil analysis done to make sure that everything is fine.

So why do I use the way more expensive oil anyway? Well if you want to know check the aussie oil thread because I don't want to repeat myself. But it comes down to better fuel economy, smoother idle and less engine noise.

By the way, I change oil every 10,000km.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts