Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site Microfiberplus to be very informative. I had bought the only microfiber towel at a local Checker's, but once I read some info on this site, I'm sorry I bought the other kind. The most important issue that I saw was the towel content, in other words, what it was made of.

The towel I bought was made in Korea and didn't even list what they used. In fact, it was pretty vague. However, this site seems to have it together and their prices are well within the competitive range. They even offer embroided monograms! Anyway, here's a few paragraphs from their 'scientific' summary of the better towels out there.

Microfiber is not a fabric, it is a yarn, spun into thread, that is used to weave or knit fabric. Most common microfibers are polyester and will indeed scratch the surface of your car if you aren't careful. You should, as a rule, avoid any cloth material that is not 100% natural. Stay away from polyester, rayon, nylon, and the like.

By definition, microfibers are ultra-fine yarns made from various sources. They can be polyester, nylon, or a natural material such as cellulose. Microfiber is two times finer than silk and nearly one hundred times finer than human hair. In fact, many microfiber yarns are so fine that a strand stretching 25,000 miles around the earth will only weigh a few pounds.

One more thing: I hand washed my towels, even though they say it is machine washable. I also let it hang dry naturally instead of using the dryer. The Brits in the UK like to hang dry their clothes because they say it makes the fabric last longer, and they have been around a lot longer than us Yanks. The other tip is to wash the towel before its first use. After my wash, the towel does seem softer and easier to handle. I didn't use any soap. Just hot water, let it soak, then wring it and let it hang.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Thanks for the input smooth. That wasa lot of good info. I have always wanted to know a proper way to clean the towel.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Nice post SmoothZ! Very informative. I have actually washed mine in the washer w/ good results too. If you want to try this it might work for you. I hate washing things by hand is all. Use medium heated water, woolite and if you like dissolve some oxyclean in a cup of hot water and add to the water, don't bleach, it weakens the fibers. Use the gentle cycle. I add about 3 tsp of white vinegar to a downy ball to help release all of the soap. After it goes thru a complete cycle, including spin (this is where the vinegar does it's thing) run thru the rinse cycle again and the spin cycle. Either line dry or use the dryer on air or gentle heat (no softener, it will streak on your Z) And you are good to go. Also if you have particles in your MF you should either downgrade it from paint wash to wheel wash or interior. You could pick it out w/ tweezers but that is tedious. I separate my MF into 4 difft categories, new, good, bad and ugly. I store them in ziplock bags to keep them from getting dust on them. Lable the bags and you wont have to sort them out when detailing. Hope this adds to your post.

Oh also do a "CD" test on your MF before using it on your paint. Take a CD and rub the MF towel on the back of the CD. If it scratches the CD don't use it on your paint....I have found nice MF at walmart 5 for 6 buck or something and they are pretty nice, just remove the lable first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys! I have been using an absorber, but would u suggest that I get a microfiber cloth...not worrying about cost...does it work better?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Mikey I use the absorber too, but hear that the waffle weave microfiber is great as well. Look for them at pakshak.com they are in HI so shipping might take a little longer. Also see my post on drying w/ a hose, do that, use the absorber to BLOT the spots dry (there will be very few) to avoid rubbing the paint too much. That is the key, the less friction, the less swirl marks. Check out autopia.org for more detailing madnezz!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts