Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a metal grinding sound after a cold start a few days ago. I asked another car geek friend to listen and he said it sounded as if the starter isn't disengaging properly. It's faint, lasts maybe a quarter-second after the engine has turned-over. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This happens to me as well every once in a while when it is relatively cold here in TX.

Not sure what causes this, but I would try to leave the car in neutral (if its a 6-speed) and then start it to see if the noise reappears.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Not sure what causes this, but I would try to leave the car in neutral (if its a 6-speed) and then start it to see if the noise reappears.
still happens

it happened on both my Z and my G35

same exact noise

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
This happens to me as well every once in a while when it is relatively cold here in TX.

I hear it every once in a while, but its rare. I normally leave the car in gear when I turn it off so I haven't really tried it without the car in gear but it'd be hard to test since it happens so infrequently.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly. It's only on a cold start, blue moon, 4th of January type of thing. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything. I'm wondering if I should bring it up to the technician this weekend when I have to take her in for the **** possesed window motor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it is the [cam drive] chain slapping around a bit while the hydraulic tensioner gets pumped up. My Toyota Land Cruuiser has been making the same noise for the past 130,000 miles on virtually every start-up (they all do)... no problem. Just use good oil (I'm running Royal Purple 10W-30) and filter (I'm sticking with the OEM one from Nissan) and sleep well.

Oh yes, my Z does this too... "nearly" every start-up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It could be your tranmission, mine does that on cold start up sometimes. It could be a sign of something worse to come. My mechanic tells me it could be the transmission bearings starting to fail, and will get louder over time. I suggest you monitor the noise and bring it back if it gets worse, otherwise you can probably leave it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It could be your tranmission, mine does that on cold start up sometimes. It could be a sign of something worse to come. My mechanic tells me it could be the transmission bearings starting to fail, and will get louder over time. I suggest you monitor the noise and bring it back if it gets worse, otherwise you can probably leave it.

Nope, probably not the transmission. The noise that chrisb808 is describing (If I read his post correctly) happens immediately after the engine starts (clutch still on the floor on a 6MT car), and lasts only 0.25-second or so. I'm telling you guys to relax... it's just the chains rattling a bit as the tensioner(s) get pumped up.

BTW, I recently changed oil... this time using Royal Purple 10W-30 (Nissan filter, of course)... the "rattle" hasn't happened a time since I did (but I'm sure it will as soon as I log off and go out and start the car... you know how it is!).

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it's very cold in your area, I would suggest a less viscous and Nissan recommended 5W-30 oil for your car. It may help make starts easier.

I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 Extended + Mobil 1 filter, but I'm in a warm climate region. Never had any hard rattly starts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately, this is one of those things that will go to the wayside. I have no intention of tearing anything apart until it either increases in loudness or duration. Otherwise, I plan on getting some high-quality fluids in her and hoping she maintains for the years to come. Having no idea what the previous owner has done to her, it's one of those "let's pray nothing goes wrong" situations. Thanks for the replies everyone. At least I'm not the only that has experienced this sort of thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2005 Z that I bought in December 05. It has a whole 6,500 miles on it and I also experienced a rought start. By rough I mean it sounded like someone was grinding up ice cubes in a grinder when it was running. I thought something major was going on since the engine sounded horrible.

I called the dealership, they had it towed their. It knocked like this when they unloaded it. Once it was in the garage the tech who looked at it could not re-create the problem. They left it ouside overnight and it still would not re-create the problem. They ran computer diagnostics and could find nothing wrong. The dealer said they never experienced this before, and was completly confused. Then I found this thread!

Oddly my car does not sit outside and is in a heated garge. It never did this before. Could this be the same timming chain tensioner issue that others are experiencing as well? If it is not a tempurature issue besides a good oil is there a fix?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My original tranny started doing the cold-start grind a few weeks before it was replaced. Over time, that became occasional grinds into 3rd gear and then it began to happen more and more often, until it was all the time. Hopefully this isn't your issue. Changed 1st tranny at 23k miles. Now changing 2nd tranny because it locked up in 5th gear on the interstate after 10k miles :( Hopefully 3rd is a charm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me the car was in nuetral with the clutch in when this occured. It has not occured again. Were you driving when you had grinding noises?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know when you let the car sit for a few days that the pressure in the manifold or pistons ( I cant remember what the dealership said) but it will drop some times and make all kinds or racket like metal on metal, but one the pressures come back up that the noise will go away. I let mine sit for about 5 days and when I started it again it did that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting. . . My Z was running the day before so it only sat a few hours in the garage.

Strange enough, it has not done this again. (yet)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know when you let the car sit for a few days that the pressure in the manifold or pistons ( I cant remember what the dealership said) but it will drop some times and make all kinds or racket like metal on metal, but one the pressures come back up that the noise will go away. I let mine sit for about 5 days and when I started it again it did that.
Rob</span>

·
Registered
76 Posts
My original tranny started doing the cold-start grind a few weeks before it was replaced. Over time, that became occasional grinds into 3rd gear and then it began to happen more and more often, until it was all the time. Hopefully this isn't your issue. Changed 1st tranny at 23k miles. Now changing 2nd tranny because it locked up in 5th gear on the interstate after 10k miles :( Hopefully 3rd is a charm.
<span style="font-family:Times New Roman">Hello and happy Monday, xephiron!

It sounds to me as if you are co-mingling issues here. As I understand your posting, you have a 6MT transmission. If so, your transmission is not making rattling noises on start-up... heck, with the clutch pedal down there on the floor, the transmission isn't even turning!</span>

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have the same problem and it DOES NOT happen on a regular basis. It ONLY happens when I start it up on a cold/ rainy day! Has anyone gotten the problem fixed?

also when i rev it up to about 4300rpm or up , I can hear some sort of rattling/vibration noise. Anyone has the same problem? feel free to elaborate!

·
Registered
94 Posts
start up stuttering noise starter motor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I start up the car on a cold day or whenever there is too much moisture in the air. THere is a brief STUTTERING noise coming from the engine bay! It Only happens for 1/2 a second and on initial start up! Once I start it up and turn it off and start it up again. The noise is gone! I talked to a few mechanics, some said it could be the alternator accessory belt and some said it could be the Starter motor!

If it the starter motor would it be covered by the 5 yr power train warranty? If not, what warranty category is it under?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts