Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really a kill, but it was cool, so I'm posting it. Hooked up with was a CL55 AMG...or at least I think so. It may have been an E55, but I don't think it was. I forgot to look at the model badge, all I remember is the AMG badge and vaguely what the rear end looked like. I looked on Mercedes' web site and compared AMGs and I think it's the CL55. Of course, it could have been a CL65, but I don't remember hearing (as it finally passed me) the twin turbos that would be on a CL65, and it didn't sound like 12 cylinders and 600+ HP, but who knows.

Anyway, on a stretch of Rt 606 (Loudoun County Pkwy) between South Riding and Sterling, VA, as we turned onto that road, I saw him in my rear view. He came pretty hard around the corner, so I gave a little gas, and then I saw he started gaining on me, so I put her down. He slowly gained on me until about 110MPH, then I think he let off (I would imagine he should have no problem accelerating hard up through 150 MPH). We coasted back down to about 60 I think and then took off again. Same thing. He gained slowly until I looked back (at about 120) and saw he let off, probably about 110 again. After that I let him pass.

One thing of interest, if I recall correctly (at 120 MPH, there's a lot to think about, so you don't always remember all the little details), I was still in the bottom 2/3 (if not the bottom 1/2) of fifth gear at 120 MPH. The Z wanted more...a lot more! And, man, did it handle well. That road is a little rough in spots, but I don't remember the slightest shimmy in the Z's chassis. Just... solid.

BTW - I'm basically stock except for the JWT popcharger, but I wouldn't really consider that mod by itself.

BTW #2- Unusually, there were no cars on the road for those few minutes, wide open sailing for a little while.

If you're wondering why he had such a hard time keeping up, well, he might have been a little heavy. I had an extra 240 lbs (estimated) in the form of my roommate in my car, but the AMG had 5 average sized people in his car. I was originally disappointed with my car until a found out that he was probably pushing just under 500 HP.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Was it a 4-door? 2-door?

With 5 people, and to keep up with the Z, we're either talking the S55 (huge ass sedan, molded headlights), the E55 (slightly smaller, elliptical headlights) - both 4 doors.

As far as two doors that could carry 5 people (very uncomfortably I might add) you've got the CL55 - circle headlights and VERY big for a 2-door. Or the CLK55, two door, elliptical headlights, no B-pillars.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I had a run in from a dig with a S55 and E55 at the same time, 3 lane traffic light, they had been playin with each other so I figured I'd join. Rolled up next to both of them, and from a dig, got to watch them compete with each other the whole time. I had no chance what-so-ever.

The E55 pulled ahead every time. We're talkin like 400tq. on those whips.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
both cars driven equally well the Z would not have a chance

my old man has an SL55, the power difference is like going from a Z to a Chrysler Neon, its simply in another world

there is a superchargers' worth of difference bw a CL55/SL55 and a CLK55, may have been the N.A AMG V8, or just another CLK with AMG badges

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I wish would have looked to see what model it was, but I didn't think about it until after he pulled away from me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts