Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what anyone has heard about the megan products. i was considering the headers and test pipes. i dont have a lot to spend right now, but i want to do more engine mods. i am also hesitant to do certain things because i am not sure if i want to go NA or FI in the long run. let me know if megan makes good products and/or if these headers and test pipes are good mods for a NA or FI car. thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm in the middle of installing the megan headers right now.
well i had to stop around lunch today as some friends i havent seen in a long time stopped by while i was working on my car. closed garage, showerd and headed out. i just got back.

they are nice quality!! and shaped just like the dc and nismo headers.
I got them off ebay for 190 shipped to my door. I thought they were going to be crap but it turns out they are really stainless steel headers, with good welds, bends, and nothing looks cheap on it. and they are bling!!bling!!. I let everyone know what i think when they are finally on the car. so far heat shields, are off cats, alot of stuff is removed from up above. and i only have 1 bolt to go on the passenger side and 4 on the drivers side and they will be coming out. I have to disconnect the steering column ujoint also. It is very time consuming. I have big hands and space is tight. alot of patience here. the most frustrating are the coolant hardpipes on bothe sides which are a bitch to get out.
every hose clamp was completely upside down and i spend most of my time trying to twist them around just so i could grab the needle nose pliers and unclamp them.

I just waled into the garage to grab a soda out of the fridge and gave the collant pipes the middle finger.

Its to dark and i'm not going to finish untill tomorrow.

This is like the hardest mod to do on the Z and I knew what i was getting into but jackstands and lying on you're back isnt so bad.

As far as test pipes i would install them with the headers at the same time. getting those cats of the manifold will be a major bitch. I think its best to pull out the header and cat together and just swap over O2 sensors, this would be ideal.

from what i can see so far all piping beyond the y pipe and the stock muffler look pretty darn good and i feel no need to change out the entire exhuast system if you like the sound you have right now.
if not go for it and get a new exhuast. no one has a pic of the y pipe with its shielding off.

when i get mine i will post pics of the y pipe with the shielding on and then off.

also i noticed with these new headers that tomorrow i will have to go out and buy some heat shielding and wrap the fuel line and ac line from the header because the clearance will be close.

Hey toykilla isn't it true that little if no extra power is made from the headers if you go FI??

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...e=post&id=11848

here is a picture of the headers on this forum.

ohh and good work on the header and cam section of wiki toykilla.
have you noticed the plenum spacer questions seem to have stopped!!

so 350z-tech has finally gotten to that point. Nice!

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Megan is std ss headers.. Nothing fancy. :) Just like just about %75 of the headers out there.

The stock Y pipe is restrictive. Same with the OEM cats and headers. IMO, there's nothing "good" about them.. except you have them already.

And a properly designed exhaust manifold , or god forbid "header" that you are using for FI, can make a nice difference in power, spool time and heat disapation.

ps. Daniel, more than just toykilla and myself have worked on the wiki pages.. :wink: You can see who does what by looking at the history.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Headers will help if you have a supercharger. They are replaced with TT kits and most likely will not fit the single T kits.

Thanks for the kind words about the site. I am not the only working on things though.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thanks guys.
Im sure you are awaiting my input on the headers.
I would like to add that besides both coolant hard pipes on both sides, the alternator bracket needs to be unbolted(2x 8mm bolts) this will make it easy to get the fron bolt of on the passenger side.

Last 2 bolts guys the rears on both sides.
Looks like i'm going to have to remove them from underneath the car.
I'm going to remove the oxygen sensor clips(connectors) before i do this.
I cant wait to get them off the car. Iv'e been very patient up until now and i'm taking a break.
just to let you know I'm doing this all by my self with NO help.

also lube the header bolts really good, because if you dont you will end up unscrewing the stud instead and it is twice as long as compared to just un bolting the nut. imagine using a ratchet and only getting one click every time you wrench.
there are a couple of bolts that you need a box end wrench and i used a 3/8 extension on the wrench to make it longer so i could break the bolts loose.
this is not for those who don't work out.
I dont mean you have to be buff but you have to be some what strong or tyou will find youre self stuck.

and make sure whatever you use to get the bolts of that it is flush and lined up or you will strip them and never get them off.

I'm going to say right now that i would never volunteer to do this on anyone elses car, not even for money. It's only worth it if you do it you're self and only once at that.

Well i'm going to eat breakfeast and head on back into the garage.

later.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ps thanks to every one for updating wiki

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts