Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe we don't have a thread on this car! :doh: Maybe because it's not that interesting? Well, since they get compared to us all the time, we might as well discuss it here.

Pros: Low base price, agile handling yet still comfortable enough for daily use, smooth rotary engine fun to wind out on the open road, room for four in a pinch.
Cons: Option packages add considerable expense, iffy interior ergonomics, poor gas mileage.

Introduction: Mazda has a knack for building unique and unconventional automobiles. The early RX-3s are still a favorite among SCCA production racers, the venerable RX-7 is still a sought-after car, and who can forget Mazda's rotary-powered pickup? Later, Mazda almost single-handedly revived the two-seat roadster with the first Miata. The RX-8 is a continuation of that spirit -- only now the company has packaged its smooth but powerful rotary engine in a more usable car. With the RX-8, Mazda has created a kinder, gentler sports car that seats four and boasts an engine that's incredibly smooth. Mazda has had 40 years of experience producing rotary engines and is the only manufacturer in the world that offers a pure rotational internal combustion engine. The RX-8's engine -- dubbed the Renesis -- is a new type of rotary, similar to the one that was offered in Mazda's RX-7 (last sold here in 1995), but with a few significant improvements. It makes almost as much power as the RX-7's turbocharged engine, but is 30-percent lighter and more compact. A new valve arrangement allows this new-generation engine to produce its ample power while improving mileage and emissions control. The RX-8 is what Mazda calls a "four-passenger sports car." While the 2+2 sports car idea has been around for a while, Mazda has certainly come up with an intriguing if not unique idea for the RX-8's cabin. Technically there are four doors, but the rearmost doors open "suicide" style for easy entry and exit. Mazda calls these doors "Freestyle" doors. Competition in the sports car category is sparse, but the few vehicles that do compete with the RX-8 are formidable foes. Nissan's 350Z is the RX-8's most direct competitor, as it offers similar performance for a slightly higher price. With no backseat, the Z is more of a true sports car, but for those who need a little practicality and a more forgiving ride, the RX-8 is hard to beat.

Type: Compact Coupe/Hatchback
Where Built: Japan

Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 174.3 in. Width: 69.7 in.
Height: 52.8 in. Wheel Base: 106.4 in.
Ground Clearance: 4.7 in. Curb Weight: 3029 lbs.
Gross Weight: 3810 lbs.

Interior
Front Head Room: 38.2 in. Front Hip Room: 53.4 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 54.9 in. Rear Head Room: 36.8 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 54.9 in. Rear Hip Room: 48.1 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 32.3 in.
Luggage Capacity: 7.6 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 8 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 4

Performance Data

Acceleration (0-60 mph): 7.08 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 107.93 ft.
Base Engine Size: 1.3 liters Base Engine Type: Rotary
Horsepower: 238 hp Max Horsepower: 8500 rpm
Torque: 159 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 5500 rpm
Drive Type: RWD Turning Circle: 34.8 ft.

Fuel Data

Fuel Tank Capacity: 15.9 gal.
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 18 mpg / 24 mpg
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Manual: 286.2 mi. / 381.6 mi.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally, I think the RX-8 is a sell out. Sure it looks good, looks like a sports car...but that new rotary engine just doesn't cut it. I still drool over a well prepped RX-7, not only because of the sleek body style, but that twin turbo power. Everyone by now, knows that the 13B REW wasn't a very reliable engine. But with the twin turbos set at 1800 RPM 10 PSI and 4000 RPM 10 PSI, it was sheer bliss until it popped. So why the big change to a N/A slug of an engine? I say drop that new Renesis into the Miata..238bhp is a good start for a small car like that. Then bring us back the 13B REW titled the 14B, keep building on the reliability issues (don't walk away defeated) and make it just as potent as the final version..build 8. Build 8 of the RX-7 yeilded 280 HP and a 13.2 1/4 mile time. That is phenominal, if you dropped that into the RX-8...made it 30k+ options... I might consider reading a different forum :nana: Ok maybe not :headshake:

Overall, the RX-8 has the looks...but is a sheep in wolves clothing. The Z, will eat it for breakfast, dinner, and desert.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****, Rob, you seem to know a little about cars... :lol:

Today while driving in to work, I was behind an 8. I noticed something very peculiar about the sideview mirrors. If you look at our mirrors, the bottom is flat and longer than the top side where it slopes down on the outside. The 8 is the exact opposite - weird.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dave, what were you doing looking at the 8's side mirrors? You know you should have been looking at your own mirrors as the 8 fell back and back and back....
But, since you brought up the topic..have you read about the new MazdaSpeed6? Why in the **** can't they use that engine in the RX-8????

Link is here: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPag...daSpeed6&bhcp=1

·
Registered
95 Posts
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Me neighbor (mother in her 50s) bought one, and actually got a check in the mail because it didn't live up to the 250hp they claimed it had in the beginning. Which, btw, is still week. There's just no comparison Smooth. I did see a couple with aftermaket goodies with mentioning, but stock they fall way short. :lame:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob, your guess about the 6 are as good as mine.

I was just cruising and enjoying the drive. We were in rush hour traffic and I wanted to see what he would do if he passed me. Don't worry, I had no illusions as to catching up and passing him if I needed to.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/quote]
Oh, what a feeling to get back a check for buying a car. Of course, she could probably care less about the hp rating.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, it's just sad that a motorsports company such as Mazda...would make its best car...a 4door sedan. And I wouldn't even put the 8 into the same catagory as the Z...RX-8s belong with the Civic SI, RSX Type-S, and Hyundai Tiberon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
[/quote]
Oh, what a feeling to get back a check for buying a car. Of course, she could probably care less about the hp rating.
<div align="right">[snapback]92964[/snapback]
[/quote]

No doubt. She said she liked it because it was 'cute'. :vomit:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just find it odd that one of my mgrs bought an 8, even though he makes like $30k more than me.

·
Registered
68 Posts

This is supposidly the MazdaSpeed RX-8...which will possibly have a supercharger...but I can imagine it will be pushing 40k for base price. Looks nice, but I still think they are waiting too long...and they still can't compete with Z's pricing.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See? You hit it on the head. Looks nice when modded. I saw one the other day that looked pretty good, but I still doubted its performance. I'm sure there will be some ppl who will try to swap engines with the new 6. Now that would be badass.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
New six = another high hp uglybox. Will it beat Evo at its own fugly game?....

The last gen of RX8's was a beautiful body design....but reliablilty issues plagued it.

New RX8 is too funky lookin for me. I understand the need to push the wheels out to the corners, but...ick. Not in my driveway. The pavement would puke.

But props to Mazda for 'pushing the envelope'. Their design team works hard, & mgmt. actually lets 'em build some. I think the Miata was a milestone...like the 240z in its day. Every [email protected] couple out here traded in their Cabrio for a Miata, back inna day. I don't think the RX8 will do nearly as well...

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
buddy's mom just got one....ask him how it is.

me, personally....i don't like em....never have liked this body style.

rx-7 on the other hand....much better! :)

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
RX-8's are fun. No torque compared to the Z, but they're fun. I'll let you guys know more later :thumbsup: I'll definitely be driving it again.

Too bad the styling sucks... I hate the suicide doors...

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Oh yeh, and brand new, it was only $21k...she flirted and offered to go on a date with the salesman....but it worked :lol:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[/quote]
Too bad that doesn't work the other way around! I went to one dealer that was filled with hotties! :OMG: :hump: Left my name and number for when they got a DB in but didn't hear from her for about 3 months, then she called. :lame: I already had one by then.

·
Registered
543 Posts
[/quote]
Too bad that doesn't work the other way around! I went to one dealer that was filled with hotties! :OMG: :hump: Left my name and number for when they got a DB in but didn't hear from her for about 3 months, then she called. :lame: I already had one by then.
<div align="right">[snapback]94951[/snapback]
[/quote]

<swingers> ~ Definitely, two days is like industry standard.
~ You know I used to wait two days to call anybody, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three months is kind of money. What do you think? </swingers>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts