Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I would say Muay Thai is hard to find because of how violent it is, those fighters are efen crazy. I love MMA but I am not into getting my face all busted up by knees to the face.
Elbows are the best since I am such a small person. Not so much for ringfighting/sparring as it can seriously screw somebody up, but for self-defense purposes Muay Thai is pretty realistic. Of course you don't always want to clinch/elbow/knee as they can just knife, gang up, or pull some wrestling move on you. The Thai Clinch = Only usable in MT bouts. Don't attempt it against a seasoned wrestler or grappler.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
90 - 99% of all street fights (god forbid your in one) go to the ground.
Yes, but 90-99% of street fights don't involve martial artists, and half of those probably involve drunk people. I think practicing some ground techniques are necessary if you want to be prepared for any situation, but a style that focuses completely on fighting from the ground is not very practical outside the ring IMO.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
I do not recall any great BJJ experts being pummeled on the ground. If you look at Royce Gracie, when you go to the ground with him he is going to finish the fight in seconds by breaking your arm or leg etc. Where they get pummeled is when they stand up. If you recall the fight between Royce and Liddell (I do not remember what UFC # that was) that is what happened. BJJ does not teach striking also it does not focus on many take downs.
I have seen many UFC fights go to the ground for a very long time.. Up to 30minutes actually. It is quite often a bloody ending with either one or both fighters needing severe medical attention.

Gracies are bad... no doubt. But where do you draw the line? Someone that was born into a fighting family has the upper hand regardless of which type of art they pursue.

My point was simply that I wouldn't want to be laying on my back surrounded by multiple opponents.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
The Thai Clinch = Only usable in MT bouts. Don't attempt it against a seasoned wrestler or grappler.
Certainly worked when Silva Thai Clinched Rich Franklin.
But yeah, in a brawl it probably isn't too useful...in that situation I would suggest getting the **** out of there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Though the only problem I have with BJJ is I really don't want to be rolling around on the ground with too many unknown variables (broken bottles, curb, multiple attackers). Though I still think EVERYONE should know basic techniques that do & don't work for them on the ground. Nothing wrong with having a full range of knowledge and different styles/techniques, because no 2 fights are exactly the same...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I bet you can use the clich in a bar if you wanted. Not many people are going to know how to escape it, especially if you have both hands around the base of their head. If they duck their head under your arms, it's over. The double underhook will also render their arms useless.

Muay Thai can be good for self-defense unless the fight gets to the ground. But it still doesn't teach you how to disarm people or face multiple attackers.

As for BJJ, my friend has learned takedowns to assist in getting the fight to the ground. He is also taking Judo along w/ it, so he can do takedowns while in a grappling position. BJJ is not really meant for multiple attackers, but if some drunk idiot at a bar wanted to fight, there's a good chance he's not going to know what to do on the ground. I remember him telling me how he cracked somebody's ribs (slammed him to the ground) because his opponent was a big mouth who thought might made right.

In the end, if you really don't know what to do, kick the person in the balls or bite them; pull their hair; as lame as that sounds; anything is better than getting robbed of a couple of dollars

·
Registered
702 Posts
[attachment=19420:blackbelt.jpg][attachment=19421:me.jpg][attachment=19422:me7.jpg][attachment=19423:me13.jpg][attachment=19424:me14.jpg]visit myspace.com/joshfruth Josh "Sabertooth" Fruth .........I am a pro MMA/Cage fighter BJJ and Muay Thai and a Taekwondo expert. As a 3rd Dan in Taekwondo, I can successfully say a BJJ guy would kick my ass had I had no BJJ experience. Anyone that doesnt believe a fight will likely go to the ground is an idiot. Besides, dont talk down on BJJ if you lack knowledge. Not all BJJ is on the ground. We are taught jiujitsu for pavement and rough surfaces as well. Not all ground jiujitsu is on our backs as well(hence going from guard to sidemount to mount to ground and pound)....Team Popovitch Jiujitsu representin'. Muay Thai is great in the street as well. I would never dogg any art; however I would dogg some of the wanna-be's who teach it. I grew up in a very traditional fighting family. Dad is a state champion wrestler/golden glove boxer. Brother was a kickboxer/military guy. Mom taekwondo/hapkido blackbelt. I've been around a lot of different arts and different "experts." The fact of the matter is, it's not always the art; it's the person fighting. However, I believe some arts are "generally" more effective in the cage, ring, and street. Boxing, Wresling, BJJ, and Muay Thai IMO. I'll tell you why. As a taekwondo bb, I'm entitled to say this; so please no one take any offense. Arts like taekwondo look pretty and teach you to throw a mean kick or punch; but don't teach you how to fight. How is kicking the bag or kicking in the air 50 times supposed to teach someone to fight? And sparring is point Point fighting. At the time I started boxing, I was already a taekwondo blackbelt. And suffice to say, I thought I was hard. I had been a time after time after time point fighting champion and kicked several peoples asses in the street. Then I got my ass kick in boxing. So I became a good boxer and thai kickboxer. Then I really WAS pretty tough. I didnt win all my matches, but I was doing all right. Then I got into a variety of grappling sports ( BJJ/Greco/Judo/wrestling). Mind you I was pretty good at standup. Got my ass kicked again. Got choked out in a triangle by a guy almost 50 years old. I was humiliated. What I'm getting to is that the greatest martial art is VALE TUDO(anything goes)(MMA). Because if any facet of fighting is left out, you are incomplete. Take Matt Hues v. Royce Gracie(no offense to the Gracie clan intended). Royce lacked the balance to defeat Matt Hughes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
[attachment=19420:blackbelt.jpg][attachment=19421:me.jpg][attachment=19422:me7.jpg][attachment=19423:me13.jpg][attachment=19424:me14.jpg]visit myspace.com/joshfruth Josh "Sabertooth" Fruth .........I am a pro MMA/Cage fighter BJJ and Muay Thai and a Taekwondo expert. As a 3rd Dan in Taekwondo, I can successfully say a BJJ guy would kick my ass had I had no BJJ experience. Anyone that doesnt believe a fight will likely go to the ground is an idiot. Besides, dont talk down on BJJ if you lack knowledge. Not all BJJ is on the ground. We are taught jiujitsu for pavement and rough surfaces as well. Team Popovitch Jiujitsu representin'. Muay Thai is great in the street as well
Awesome dude!!! Glad to see so many MMA guys on the Z forums. I'd never think there were so many martial art enthusiasts in general!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Royce Gracie is old and isn't known for his stand up. I wouldn't say balance was the issue.

I hate Matt Hughes too.
Well, you're Kenny and you die every episode. No one cares what you think; not Eric Cartman; not me. Lol j/k

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have seen many UFC fights go to the ground for a very long time.. Up to 30minutes actually. It is quite often a bloody ending with either one or both fighters needing severe medical attention.

Gracies are bad... no doubt. But where do you draw the line? Someone that was born into a fighting family has the upper hand regardless of which type of art they pursue.

My point was simply that I wouldn't want to be laying on my back surrounded by multiple opponents.
Notice I said Great in my comment. A lot of the fighters you see in UFC are not experts in any one martial art style, they are very well rounded. A BJJ Artist that is high in the Black Belts is not going to lay on the ground and get pummeled.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XM8VAvVUaAw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XM8VAvVUaAw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although traditional martial arts (TMA) has deep history and tradition, it's not as practical as it used to be. From a self-defense point of view.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts