Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Spinning a main or rod bearing and usually NOT the result of power or torq. They are usuallly the result of oil starvation, or excessive and sustained high RPM operation. That is what happened in the case of ZChicks...IIRC.

Excessive detonation can also beat the bearings to pieces, but with good tuning, and normal driving, and ocassional tracking, I doubt you'll see too many spun bearings.

To my knowledge, and I did some checking on this for my build-up, nobody is making bearings for the VQ yet....correct me if I am wrong. You can also try to have them ceramic coated...which might help a little bit.

Otherwise, use the stock bearings, make sure the grade of bearing is correct...and that they MEASURE.....some shops dont. :) Keep the revs under 7000rpm and just have fun! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts

To my knowledge, and I did some checking on this for my build-up, nobody is making bearings for the VQ yet....correct me if I am wrong. You can also try to have them ceramic coated...which might help a little bit.

Nismo Japan have bearings & a upgraded oil pump for the VQ350 motor

Oil Pump part # 15010-RRZ30
Main Brg Pt # 12110-RRV50
Big End Pt # 12207_RRV50
<div align="right">[snapback]70541[/snapback]

Cool. but if the pricing on the Nismo bearings is anything like the Nismo oil pump....get ready for sticker shock. :) The Nismo oil pump is $1000.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The main benifit of dry sumping is improved oil flow and reduced risk of oil starvation due to high g's load...such as continous racking on a track. I dont know exactly how a dry sump would be executed on a 350Z, which is probably why nobody has tried it just yet. In my opinion, unless you are almost exclusively racing the car on a track, a dry sump system has limited applications for normal street or strip usage, and is pretty expensive to purchase and install.

Anyone else have experience with dry sumps on the 350Z?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nissan from the factory, builds their engines with VERY tight tolerances. What I had my engine builder do was to chose crank bearings that have clearances at the larger end of the specification scale. That larger clearances will allow for more oil, and better reliability for a super high HP engine. Just something to think about. They are still within spec..but just at the larger end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.