Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

MAF to MAP on Greddy TT Kit?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  002-M-P 
#1 ·
I know I will be buying my Greddy TT kit within the next month or so and doing the install at my house, but I have to make sure of everything I am wanting to do before I start, so I don't need random parts to get where I want(happens to me all the time).

So, I am a big fan of MAP bases cars (owned and modified a FD RX-7 for a few years) and am really considering changing my Z to MAP, but I was trying to figure out how capable the Emanage is to accomplish that. I know it has an optional pressure sensor and pressure sensor harness, but quality of running it is my main issue.

Also, where would be the best place to tap the manifold for pressure (I assume it could really be about anywhere)?

-M-P

#2 ·
Personally, I wouldn't tap the manifold. I would replace the intake tube with a metal one and then tap into it between where the MAF sits and the throttle body. There is more room and an even distribution of air flow across the radius of the tube as compared to the manifold which has pressure differences across it's surface. Just a thought.

Also, FYI, I know that you mentioned going with the Greddy Twin Turbo Kit, but incase you didn't know, the APS Turbo Kit already comes with a MAP sensor that works in conjunction with the MAF sensor.

#3 ·
I really would go with the APS kit if I had the funds to, but the extra $$$ on the kit gets me. It would be nice to have some kind of sponsor to pay for some of my stuff :biggrin:

Thanks for the input on putting it on a metal intake pipe, that does make more sense.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Zxrage@Oct 20 2004, 09:06 AM
Personally, I wouldn't tap the manifold.  I would replace the intake tube with a metal one and then tap into it between where the MAF sits and the throttle body.  There is more room and an even distribution of air flow across the radius of the tube as compared to the manifold which has pressure differences across it's surface.  Just a thought.

Also, FYI, I know that you mentioned going with the Greddy Twin Turbo Kit, but incase you didn't know, the APS Turbo Kit already comes with a MAP sensor that works in conjunction with the MAF sensor.

Wow! I'm sorry but that's a bad idea. Never take boost readings from before the throttle body!

If you look under the plastic engine cover you will see a small nipple capped off with a rubber plug. Remove that plug and run vacume line from there to the Greddy pressure sensor. I have the greddy e-01 which comes with the pressure sensor, you just need an extra harness that will feed the signal from the e-o1 to the e-manage unit. After that you can tune the 'Add injector map' on the e-manage with your e-o1 to enrich the fuel mix via MAPxRPM, instead of the stock MAFxRPM. And if your emanage is locked search the my350z FI forum. I posted the stock e-manage values on there some time ago. You can reset your e-manage and re-enter the values to get rid of the password. Map sensor readings are better than maf for boosted operation, so your on the right track. If you want to totally remove the maf system you will need to find a speed density (map) EMS.

#5 ·
ETX,

When you run a MAP sensor, any kind of pressure changes, like weather and altitude, can the ECU and the Boost controller compensate better for the changes in environment compaired to a MAF sensor?, or would it be better to run both instead of just one or the other?

#7 ·
Originally posted by etx@Oct 20 2004, 10:12 AM
Wow! I'm sorry but that's a bad idea. Never take boost readings from before the throttle body!

If you look under the plastic engine cover you will see a small nipple capped off with a rubber plug. Remove that plug and run vacume line from there to the Greddy pressure sensor. I have the greddy e-01 which comes with the pressure sensor, you just need an extra harness that will feed the signal from the e-o1 to the e-manage unit. After that you can tune the 'Add injector map' on the e-manage with your e-o1 to enrich the fuel mix via MAPxRPM, instead of the stock MAFxRPM. And if your emanage is locked search the my350z FI forum. I posted the stock e-manage values on there some time ago. You can reset your e-manage and re-enter the values to get rid of the password. Map sensor readings are better than maf for boosted operation, so your on the right track. If you want to totally remove the maf system you will need to find a speed density (map) EMS.

I guess that would be the better setup because of the throttle body controling the airflow that actually goes into the engine. Initially when I answered the question I was just thinking about a good location and not the fact that you would have to worry about the pressure difference before and after the throttle body. Tapping off of hte plenum where the rubber nipple is located is a much better idea.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Zxrage+Oct 20 2004, 03:29 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-etx
@Oct 20 2004, 10:12 AM

I guess that would be the better setup because of the throttle body controling the airflow that actually goes into the engine. Initially when I answered the question I was just thinking about a good location and not the fact that you would have to worry about the pressure difference before and after the throttle body. Tapping off of hte plenum where the rubber nipple is located is a much better idea.

From the install manuals I note that the APS (Unichip) controller and the
Fuel regulator also get there MAP from that Plenum nipple.

#9 ·
Veteran "other" board member here. I too am sick of the my350z.com board....so here I am!! :)

When using the MAP sensor with the eManage and profec, the stock MAF sensor MUST remain. Don't worry, it is virtually no restriction in the intake tube, since it's a hotwire style MAF....take a look inside if you dont believe me. But when fuel enrichment is needed (under load or boost), then the eManage will reference the pressure readings from the MAP sensor, rather than the readings for the MAF sensor.

Simple and clean. Your car will start and run exactly the same as before, but under boost, you will have MUCH more accurate fuel/timing enrichment.

The ECU will still being seeing the MAF reading and associated temp sensor reading, so it will still be making some minor corrections to fuel and timing, based on ambient temp, and the like. Only a true stand-alone will give you full control. But the eManage, Profec, and MAP sensor is a great way for safe accurae boost, without some of the hassles of a traditional stand-alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.