Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's out and the dyno results should be out soon. One problem-- MY350 won't work for me!!! Will somebody post the before and after results plz. Thanks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
from all_bark
So here are a couple of the dyno's that came from The Dyno Shop that I went to this morning.

To keep it short, I got NINE runs today!

three - back to back to back in fifth gear.

three more - back to back to back in fourth gear (dyno guys mistake  so he did three more!)

then the last three - back to back to back

all the dynos were done at 10:15 - 10:30 am today. It was probably 60ish degrees.

because I spiffed the guy in the back ($20.00) I only got 5 dynos on the file (but I only paid for four which was $135.00! but he actually did a total of nine. He left out the fourth gear runs (which he said were lower by about 10 pts across the board)

If I have to maybe I can get the others emailed to me but i can make no promises about that.

anyway - here are the numbers...

wait - I need to give a small review of the whole set up...

did a baseline with the folllowing mods -
borla dual, UR pulleys, hybrid injen/pop charger full CAI (which I think helps!) and thats it.
the numbers on that were posted earlier but here they are again.

baselines were 243 and 238 torque run one and
248 and 243 for run two.

so best baseline - 248 rwhp and 243 torque

·
Registered
587 Posts
the baseline was done on a friday.

THEN I went home and installed a set of Kinetix Hi-Flow Cats. Drove them maybe 50 miles or so (possibly 100) and the next morning went back out for more dynos.

these dyno's show the same mods PLUS the hi-flow cats.

this one is all four runs with the hi-flow cats.

·
Registered
587 Posts
now this one shows the best baseline and the best with hi-flow cats (made by, you guess it, Kinetix!)

please keep in mind that these cats only had less than one days use on them and I have been told (and I believe) that after a few days they opened up and are producing more gains than these dynos show.

anyway here is the best baseline and best with hi-flow cats.

·
Registered
587 Posts
so, now that we have a semi-base line (including the hi-flow cats)
here are the

NEW NUMBERS WITH THE KINETIX RACING PLENUM.

The numbers are higher than I expected. I think the cat's beaking in some and giving more power (ten extra driving days) has yielded higher numbers, how much is anyones guess!

So after no further delay........

baseline 253

new numbers with all five available runs included.

259 (2 times)
263 (2 times, one is missing)
266.88 and 258.00 torque

the 266 also showed up twice!

·
Registered
587 Posts
and finally, here is the best baseline (with the cats) and the best with the KINETIX RACING PLENUM!!!!!!

everyone enjoy, I am off to eat, as I did not have any dinner yet.

man, I can already hear the blah, blah, blahs that will follow this post.

13 rwhp! from the plenum, NFW!

well, it was true for me (unless the cats have a small part of it)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, those are beautiful man. Beautiful :D I'm gonna be in on a cats/plenum package hopefully as soon as he offers it, or as soon as i have the funds (probably the latter).

·
Registered
6 Posts
But...he came back today with proper SAE correctly dyno charts. Check below!!
Here's what he said:
now the sae corrected numbers smoothed to 3

baseline sae 239.1
+ cats 248.1 (+9 rwhp) WHY?
+ plenum 256.7(+8.6)

total gained = 17.6

just about the same.

so what I want to know is this...

why did the sae corrected number RAISE the cat and LOWER the plenum but come out about the SAME?

all_bark has attached this image:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Corrected or Uncorrected
Dynojets can read corrected or uncorrected horsepower. Because different weather conditions can result in different air densities and different oxygen concentrations, the weather can have a significant effect on power output. The SAE has a standard set of correction factors that can be used to normalize all power outputs to what they would be at sea level, on a 60 degree day, with 0 percent humidity. Every Dynojet has a small weather station built in to feed the appropriate temperature and barometric pressure readings to the computer so it can calculate this factor. The difference between 0 percent and 100 percent humidity is about a seven percent correction. A temperature change from 60 to 90 degrees, on the other hand, will have an effect of about a 2.8 percent. A difference in elevation from sea level to 5000 feet is worth a whopping 20 percent!

If you use uncorrected data, the changes in power output due to weather conditions could be misconstrued as being a result of something else. For example, if you have a dyno sheet showing that a header made a 15-hp gain, but the runs were done on different days and the plot was made with uncorrected data, you can't be sure if that is really a 15-hp header, or an 8-hp header and a 7-hp weather change.

Corrected numbers, on the other hand, can be suspect in certain cases as well. Turbocharged cars running at high altitude, for example, might be more accurately represented by uncorrected numbers. Say you are testing an FD3S RX-7 in Denver, where the elevation is approximately 5,000 feet. Shiv Pathak, master of our FD3S RX-7 project, reports that he always sees higher boost levels at high altitude. The reason is simple. The wastegate opens when boost is 12 psi higher than the normal sea-level reference air behind the wastegate actuator diaphragm (air that has been stuck in there ever since the diaphragm was sealed somewhere in Hiroshima). As the air density drops at high altitude, the actual pressure in the boosted intake manifold remains constant. The boost gauge, though, reads pounds of boost over ambient pressure. If the ambient air pressure in Hiroshima was 14.5 psi when that diaphragm was sealed, but it is only 13.5 psi when Shiv drives through the mountains, his boost gauge will read 1 psi higher than normal.

The SAE correction factor used by Dynojet assumes that lower air pressure at the sensor box means lower air pressure in the intake manifold, though, so at 5,000 feet the dyno is applying a 20-percent correction factor to compensate for a loss of air density that the engine never sees. This is fine if you are doing all your tests in Denver, but if you do one test in Denver and one test in New Orleans (the highest mountain in New Orleans is 12 feet above sea level) uncorrected numbers will be more accurate.

The SAE correction factors are only accurate over a relatively limited range, and the Dynojet software is smart enough to warn you when two runs with wildly different correction factors are being compared. The software in New Orleans can't check your glovebox for that last dyno printout from Denver, though, so you'll have to warn yourself.

Courtesy of Dave Coleman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts