Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 350Z.

I want either the BASE model or the ENTHUSIAST. The only difference i can find is the ENTHUSIAST has LSD/ and TCS. Do i really need these things? Will i die if i dont have them while driving?

I am not gonna drive the car when it snows. I will be driving it during rain. I am not gonna be racing the car. The fastest i'll go is probably 90mph on highway.

Is there a link to LSD/TCS details. I need specs, tests, if its useful or not.

Thanks alot
Roger Diaz

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
VDC and TCS are basically a built in safety system and only performance, touring and track models have them. The enthusiast only has TCS and the base has nothing. For reference, VDC stands for vehicle dynamic control, its main function is to control the vehicle when it senses wheel slip and out of control conditions, such as getting sideways around turns and driving in slick conditions. It cuts the power to the wheels and applies brakes to help all four tires gain control again. You have the option of turning off VDC when driving with the push of a button. TCS is a traction control system and it deals with power delivery to the wheels which is very helpful when accelerating and going around turns. As you know, a base model does not have a LSD (limited slip differential) which helps deliver the power equally to both rear wheels. Also, the base model does not have this feature nor does it have HID headlights.

As far as providing numbers, I am not sure what you are looking for, but I can tell you that it is nice to have a LSD and TCS especially if you like to do spirited driving. If you get a base model, it wont have any backup safety system when driving hard and if you are not careful, you have a better chance of loosing control when driving hard in different conditions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you really want to have fun when accelerating, then you need an LSD. Have you ever seen a car that takes off and only one tire is smoking? That is because it does not have an LSD. That one tire smoking tells you that the engine is producing more power than the tire can take and performance is affected pretty badly. With and LSD, power is sent equally to both wheels and you do not lose any. It does make a really big difference.

As for TCS, it pulls power when the wheels slip (note, this is different that VDC which will save you in a slide). If you loose grip with both wheels, TCS will kick in an slow the engine. It can be a really, really good feature.

I ALWAYS recommend both the LSD and TCS to everyone, no matter where they drive. Plus, you may say now that you plan nothing more for the car than commuting. But trust me, many a people get "the bug" after buying this car.

Good luck and get the enthusiast or better.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ah, my son. (in my best wax-on - wax-off accent)

You miss major point - avoiding the speeding ticket.

Enthusiast has Cruise Control! A good thing to have in a car with such awewsome powers. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by RUFDRAFT@Sep 26 2005, 05:29 PM
Ah, my son. (in my best wax-on - wax-off accent)

You miss major point - avoiding the speeding ticket.

Enthusiast has Cruise Control! A good thing to have in a car with such awewsome powers. :shiftdrive:
[snapback]158277[/snapback]​

I agree....

And get the Enthusiast. So many with Base models wish they had made the better choice....well except Onii....he's not complaining. :wavey: :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you can't afford the Enthusiast you'll be fine. But TCS will help people not used to RWD and TQ. VDC will help you when you overdrive your car or don't respect the conditions.

I've debated the use of each with lots of people here and being an alert driver and knowing how to drive far out weighs the electronic gadgets. It's like thinking your mom will be there to save you when you get in trouble. Knowing how to stay out of trouble is the better option.

This is just from my experiene with the car. It's really not that powerful where you can't control it. Even in the rain it's not going to "spin out" if you respect the conditions. If you drive like you do in dry you could get into trouble. VDC can help you stay in control, but again if you are aware of the condtions you won't ever feel it. If you read about these most of the time cars perform better with them off, but they can save bad drivers that's the reason why we have these things because people try doing things they shouldn't and can't control the cars they are driving.

But as far as "needing" you don't need them. TCS for me is a waste, but it could help me one day. For the most part I turn it off and 90% in the rain because the abrupt throttle lift can be just as dangerous as wheel spin.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the base model and the open differential works fine. I drive my car very hard with very little wheel slippage. If you ever plan on going FI you will need a LSD.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hmm, i was gonna get an enthusiast.....i think the 07's enthusiast+ comes with both vdc and lsd...but heard that the lsd is not really that good, and aftermarket was the way to go....but that could be because my friends are serious trackees, lol

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
hmm, i was gonna get an enthusiast.....i think the 07's enthusiast+ comes with both vdc and lsd...but heard that the lsd is not really that good, and aftermarket was the way to go....but that could be because my friends are serious trackees, lol
how did you find this thread from September 05? it's two years later btw....;)

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I bought my Enthusiast just for the cruise control. If the Base had cruise, I would've got it instead. Jsut in case you're thinking of asking, no, cruise cannot be added to the base in the aftermarket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.