Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

LS2 Conversion.

27K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  VanillaGoorilla 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the site.
I own a 2003 Nissan 350z with 67k miles.
Can anyone give me a site or book that would go into detail on an ls2 engine swap?
Also are there any good places to sell the old engine?
Thanks.

#3 ·
Lol well I was hoping someone could get me started, since I'm new to newer engines and cars in general.
I only know chevy small blocks.
I found a couple books on amazon but not sure if they will be good info?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Modify-LS-Series-Engines-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760335435[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Modify-LS-Series-Engines-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760335435[/ame]
would these be a good start?
I was wondering what the average cost associated with this will be too.

#4 ·
Lol well I was hoping someone could get me started, since I'm new to newer engines and cars in general.
I only know chevy small blocks.
I found a couple books on amazon but not sure if they will be good info?
Amazon.com: How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780760335437): Joseph Potak: Books
Amazon.com: How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780760335437): Joseph Potak: Books
would these be a good start?
I was wondering what the average cost associated with this will be too.
I think you should be less concerned with building and tuning your LS motor, and more focused on pulling off the swap. I'm not a fan of putting non-Nissan motors into Nissan cars... but that's not what you're here for.

If I was in your position I'd research the various swap kits and DIY methods that are out there. Then I'd worry about building a hot LS mill. From what I've seen this project can get fairly spendy in short order, and without good planning, you could easily end up turning a perfectly good Z into a non-running garage ornament.

I've only seen 1 Z in real life with the swap, and it made use of the Hinson(?) swap kit. I think the guy said the swap kit alone was $4-5K. He said him and his brother did the swap over a few weekends. His car was indeed pretty quick. But not as quick as I thought'd be. Anyway, good luck.

-RZ

#7 ·
I think you should be less concerned with building and tuning your LS motor, and more focused on pulling off the swap. I'm not a fan of putting non-Nissan motors into Nissan cars... but that's not what you're here for.

If I was in your position I'd research the various swap kits and DIY methods that are out there. Then I'd worry about building a hot LS mill. From what I've seen this project can get fairly spendy in short order, and without good planning, you could easily end up turning a perfectly good Z into a non-running garage ornament.

I've only seen 1 Z in real life with the swap, and it made use of the Hinson(?) swap kit. I think the guy said the swap kit alone was $4-5K. He said him and his brother did the swap over a few weekends. His car was indeed pretty quick. But not as quick as I thought'd be. Anyway, good luck.

-RZ
Found a swap kit for 2,250.
Not too bad minus the aluminium oil pan.
Now all I need to worry about is getting the block.
I'm going to get an LS1.
I plan on spending at least $10,000 minimum for the final project I'm guessing.

waste of time, effort and money. i agree with Ronin about non-nissan engine swaps into a car with a perfectly good engine. by the time you are complete you will exceed the KBB of the car.
It's only a waste of time/money/effort if you're not enjoying it.
I don't care about the KBB because I plan on racing and keeping it for awhile.

Build the VQ35 and put go FI - will probably save you money and headaches. V-8's do not belong in Z cars. IMHO of course.
I will be getting FI for the LS1.

I'm not really asking whether or not I should do it, but more on specifics.
I was talking to someone today about it and they said something would have to be done with the fuel pump for example.

#6 ·
Build the VQ35 and put go FI - will probably save you money and headaches. V-8's do not belong in Z cars. IMHO of course.

#10 ·
who's the guy who first said…'you know what my 350z needs? a corvette motor!'

my 2cents is, and the OP is gonna do what he wants and I don't really care bc at the end of the day it's his money, his heart-burn, his car, his problem and I don't have to deal with it.

Does the OP know you can build the VQ block to hold just as much power? with less cost and (more importantly) less issues and more resources to turn to when a problem arises?

#17 ·
Come on, guys. Let's keep it civil. If the guy is asking for some advice on modding, let's try and give it our best. If money is no object, it might be from an inheritance, lottery winnings, or some other source that he wants to keep under wraps. It's totally plausible. I'd do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.