Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it all happened quite unexpectedly. I was driving past the parking lot of Shea Stadium (NYC) when I noticed BMW was holding some sort of event. So, I pulled over and decided to be nosy.

I walked in, and managed to get a solo test drive of the new 325i and 545i sedans. Beat those two cars like they owed me money. Then, I noticed an autocross track. Went over to the nearest BMW rep and inquired.

"Well, you have to have an appointment for that.. and we're full now. I'll put you on the waiting list." Sure enough, today was my day. Someone couldn't make it. It would be me on that list now.

Ahead of me was three cars to thrash around (read:"compare") on the track:
1 - 2005 BMW 330i
2 - 2005 G35 Sedan (Sport Package)
3 - 2005 Audi A4 3.2

After a brief explanation of the event, we met with our team and driving instructor.
In my car was an ex-Formula driver, and current stock car racer. Placed #2 at his last event. The guy knew his ****.

My car consisted of the instructor, a NYC bus driver (in full uniform), and a stock broker. We drove a cold lap to get to know the track.. bus driver went first. Drove it like a bus driver. Super cautious. Didn't break 20.

Next, I was up. Drove it around 35-ish. Learned the lines, soaked up a few pointers from the instructor. Stock broker was next, also feeling out the course and learning how position helped aid in speedy ins and outs of corners.

Now it was time for the fun. First car on the comparo was the G35 Sedan. Bus driver went first, took it around the course barely making the tires squeal. Next I was up. Instructor reminded, "ok, drive it to the limit of your comfort level. Ready? Ok, go." As I exited the pit sideways, the chatter in the back from the other two silenced - the instructor softly adding advice and telling me when to lift off the throttle, brake hard, go full throttle.. etc. I poured through a long straight with a slight chicane, hard on the brake to a sweeping left. Powered through the slalom of 4 apexes under full tilt acceleration. Hard on the brake again, sweeping left. Sharp right. Sharp left. Into pit lane, which I overshot the entrance as I was almost instinctively drawn to another lap.

As we pulled back into the pit after my hot lap, I exited the car shaking with adrenalin. My legs were rubber and my veins pulsed with energy. It was the sickest feeling ever.. the most fun I've ever had (sitting down). I don't think I got this much of a charge out of landing an airplane my first time solo. ****, I don't think sex could even compare.

I got to repeate this dreamlike experience two more times, then it was time for the instructors to go head to head in the 3-series'. Three cars. Us as passengers for three hot laps driven by the pros. The same car I had all to do to keep from understeering on me was now powersliding in syncronization through corners with the other two leading cars - just feet away. The difference between my "nice driving!" and "you missed your calling!" as praised by my unexpecting fellow students was apparant here. Theres a reason why the instructors were the pro's, their skill obvious in how they made each lap flow and look just plain easy.

I am absolutely hooked. I need track events like I need oxygen. No more go-fast-straight mods for the Z - It'll surely have plenty of power on the autocross circuit. Onward with the go-fast-while-turning mods. Thats where the real fun is at. For all you drag racers out there who lose sleep over tenths of a second, I have one word for you. Autocross. Everything else is bullshit.

:shiftdrive:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Sep 24 2005, 10:40 AM
Awesome to see more ppl getting out on the track!  Now go do a road course w/ twisties and straight aways and go REAL fast :shiftdrive: I am going on my second open lapping day next sunday :clap:  :cheers:
[snapback]157779[/snapback]​

Yeah, I'm thinkin I need to drive out to PA for the weekend and check out the Beaver. What does somethin like that cost? I've seen some places going for as high as $400 a day.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely fun! I have done maybe 3 or so of these events. First time was in Montreal on a huge track. That was a blast! I learned a lot that day.

There's a lot of that action here, too. One of the guys in the local club is heavy into it. I think he mentioned that there's a 'traveling' school of instructors that go around from city to city. These guys are good.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Great post, Jetpilot :irock:

(I used to go to Mets games back in the '60s!)

If you were in one of my writing classes, I'd give you an A.

And - I agree. So many of our brothers and sisters here focus on acceleration and don't give enough attention to cornering. I've surprised a lot of people in my Z on cornering. And - it's a gas!

See ya at ZDaZ in May! Buckle up now, you hear? :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ayman - I need to send you a check for posting an Avatar that doesn't give me an anxiety attack!

Bless you, my G35 son. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
they have new meds, you know!

Let me know and I'll hook you up. :rolf2:

(thanks - that fat kid was WRONG!)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Great Post Jet - that stuff is awesome, makes your knees weak when you get out of the car!

years ago, I got my 545 delivered down in Kentucky. I spent 3 days on the course with instructors as part of the delivery. The class had 8 instructors and 8 new 5 series owners all driving BMW owned 545's. On the last day, the drivers got 545's and went head to head with all of us.

I beat everyone but 2 drivers in every event, slalom, figure 8, road coarse, oval, wet oval and 8.

I had not had so much fun since I drove my camaro at pocono.

Next summer I plan to start my SCCA trek with my Z - I can't wait!

·
Registered
798 Posts
i would love to do that one day...... Great that u had the chance to do it.. :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
i didnt know u 3 years ago what are u talking about? Plus u never want to go to Moroso..... silly head :)

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I know this is an old post.. but that must have been fun , jet.

i didnt know u 3 years ago what are u talking about? Plus u never want to go to Moroso..... silly head :)

Moroso rocks! esp. when the boys from the island come up with da machines!

I should come down and visit Jose and Gunter!

Ayman, why don't you like to go to Moroso?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Ayman, why don't you like to go to Moroso?
i would like to....Karen, Renne, ÃÚÑÈ ÇáÃãíä ÇáÚÇã ááÃãã ÇáãÊÍÏÉ ßæÝí ÃäÇä Úä ÃÓÝå ÇáÔÏíÏ ááãæÇÌåÇÊ ÇáÊí ÌÑÊ íæã ÇáÇËäíä Èíä ÅÓÑÇÆíá æÍÒÈ Çááå, ÏÇÚíÇ ÇáØÑÝíä Åáì ããÇÑÓÉ ÃÞÕì ÏÑÌÇÊ ÖÈØ ÇáäÝÓ. æÞÏ ÊæÇÕáÊ ÑÏæÏ ÇáÃÝÚÇá ÇáÏæáíÉ ÇáãäÏÏÉ ÈÇáãæÇÌåÇÊ ÇáÊí ÊÒÇãäÊ ãÚ ÚíÏ ÇÓÊÞáÇá áÈäÇä, ÏÇÚíÉ ÇáÃØÑÇÝ Åáì ÊÝÇÏí Ãí ÊÕÚíÏ, she doesnt know what is she talking about :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts