Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the year 06 kicked in, and it seems like all the after market manufactureres are gearing up for a heavy year in competition. The options are numerous now, much more than what they have been before. The list keeps on growing, and it seems like the 350Z/G35 is heading towards being the FAVORITE cars for all to mod and boost.

HKS introducing the new line of Turbos

Nismo asking to be the AMG for Nissan

High speed Aerodynamic body kits released

War of the Manifold heating up

Exhausts keep on getting bigger and meaner

HP gains have already passed the 650

It seems like there is no limit for the cars, its getting hotter and hotter. 350Z/G35 is definately heading towards replacing the legendary Supras, and become the all time favorite cars.

all this gives me the modding itch already...but i will be more patient :)

what do you guys think? :wavey:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I agree with everything except the Supra comments. You don't destroy a legend in a few years.

There are not many Z/G over 700whp on the VQ. You can find a Supra on every block with that power. (exageration)

Other than that, I too expect this to be a big year for the Z/G. Esp. with the GTR on the horizon.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I'm pretty impressed with the new products that 06 has offered us, and I'm really satisfied with my car in particular. It's taken me this long to get it how I want it, and just when I thought I was almost done I just keep going with it. It's definitely been a fun car for me, being the first car I've really gotten into modifying.

Looking forward to see what the year will bring us. Maybe it will bring us 700whp? 800? I'm even more excited to see what directions this forum will take as everything unfolds. :biggrin: I definitely think you're right Ayman... it's the year of the Z. :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
the year 06 kicked in, and it seems like all the after market manufactureres are gearing up for a heavy year in competition. The options are numerous now, much more than what they have been before. The list keeps on growing, and it seems like the 350Z/G35 is heading towards being the FAVORITE cars for all to mod and boost.

HKS introducing the new line of Turbos

Nismo asking to be the AMG for Nissan

High speed Aerodynamic body kits released

War of the Manifold heating up

Exhausts keep on getting bigger and meaner

HP gains have already passed the 650

It seems like there is no limit for the cars, its getting hotter and hotter. 350Z/G35 is definately heading towards replacing the legendary Supras, and become the all time favorite cars.

all this gives me the modding itch already...but i will be more patient :)

what do you guys think? :wavey:

:cheers:
Finally...a good topic from Ayman...just kidding :)

Well put. +1 on replacing the Supra Chris. We're not there yet...

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Well put. +1 on replacing the Supra Chris. We're not there yet...
IMO, you cannot beat the overall quality of a Supra. Nor can you ignore that it's been considered King for over 13 years. Nissan is nice, but it's not a Toyota. Wait ten more years and see what is going on with the Z33. Supras are still active to this day in many forms of racing. Let's see what kind of rattles are audible on the Z in ten years.. or if will be as solid as a rock. haha.

As stated by a very close friend of mine:

Haha , Seriously tho , they arent Toyota quality , but they are so much more
fun . The Z series , R series and S series are all great cars id own if I
was a multi millionaire , they make cars that are worth owning. Having said
that , last years car sales report was released yesterday , Toyota top
ranked in Aus , sold more than the domestics , right at the bottom of the
list Nissan, sold less than the failing Mitsubishi , and this is why they
are not churning sales , for too many years they were stuck in Perf ....
Toyota saw this long ago and jumped on the commercial / passenger / small
car markets instead . Sad .

Take if at face value. From a guy that has owned several of the "pinnacles" from the last decade +. Raced, daily driven and bled on. As much as I love my Nissan, Toyota it is not. Aye, but Toyota did not offer a true bad ass sports car in the last many years.. So, enter Nissan into my garage.

<edit to stay on topic>

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Supra is a 2JZ motor?....& I mean the gen. before this current....

That motor is bulletproof, according to everyone who knows one...And mods up to 1k+ HP easily in the turbos.

VQ35DE is a nice motor, but won't support near those #'s on a stock bottom end.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
You're definitely right Chris. Toyota dominated the market with the Supra and has built some truely bad ass cars. But, they also haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet. They still haven't catered to those of us that want a high-performing, reliable, low cost production car. They still aren't offering ANY competition for the Z, and the only promising thing they are showing as a performance car is speculated at being ridiculously priced. They might be good, but if they don't step up soon I think they'll be chasing instead of leading.

Just my $.02, nothing more. :cheers: :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
They still aren't offering ANY competition for the Z, and the only promising thing they are showing as a performance car is speculated at being ridiculously priced. They might be good, but if they don't step up soon I think they'll be chasing instead of leading.

Just my $.02, nothing more. :cheers: :biggrin:

They must be doing something right though. I agree they aren't offering a sports car and that sucks. But look at what they have conquered since then. It's a market share I personally don't care for (except for trucks) but not everybody wants that sports car. :( Or at least not every body is allowed to buy it maybe. haha

There will be offerings soon from Toyota. As well as Lexus. But it seems like the trend of late is for the larger Japanese auto makers to try and offer a huge dollar car to compete with the Germans. With Mazda aiming for a smaller price point and Who konws what Subaru and Mitsu are up to. sheesh.. Yes, honda still aims to please with the civic, etc.. But their real sports car is the NSX (not forgetting the awesome s2000 for a second).

Look at what Toyota and Honda are doing. And then look at Nissan. Let's not forget where Nissan was a few years ago. I love the fact that they are changing their image.. But I do feel they are searching for a soul. (identity)

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I plan on bringing the Z up into the ranks of the supra.

No doubt about that. :cheers: I am looking forward to your build. You will def. set the bar!

I'm not doubting that with enough time, people will equal or surpass the power. What I'm saying is what Toyota did with Supra, MR2 and Celica GT-Four RC/WRC were above and beyond the times. We are talking early 90's. That's an impressive feat all of it's own. The way they manufactured the body panels alone were above and beyond what anyone else was doing at the time. I don't think any other designs have stood the test of time like them. And I don't think it's fair to say, that even if the power is surpassed , that it's all of a sudden replaced.

Different cars, different times. I'm sure 2006 and 2007 will define the 350Z and G35 as we know it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Sweet Baby Jesus! :rolf2:

Some people never have enough - of anything!

700hp - 800hp - 1000hp - where does it end?

And - I'm talking not only cars - but lots of things: boats (Fountain here in Washington), lawn mowers - laptops - cell phones - and on and on. Yikes.

I can afford to put a turbo/sc on my Z - but I won't. It has enough power to satisfy me as is. It's a daily driver. Do I need 700hp to get to work? :doh: Nope.

And notice I've done nothing more than rims, a grille, and tint to my car cosmetically. No lips - no Indy-car spoilers - no side skirts. Sometime - you can't improve on a design. Less is more. KISS.

For those of you with the thirst for always more "power," I say go for it. I like the feeling of "it's just how it needs to be."

Anyone out there own and modify an Ferrrari F-40? :shiftdrive:

Pass me the Valium, please. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
They must be doing something right though. I agree they aren't offering a sports car and that sucks. But look at what they have conquered since then. It's a market share I personally don't care for (except for trucks) but not everybody wants that sports car. :( Or at least not every body is allowed to buy it maybe. haha

That's for sure, even without a sportscar here in the US Toyota's sales are still through the roof. From a financial perspective TM is dominating the market, they have some smart business minds that are able to follow the demand and the market and offer the people what they want. Sure it may be dissapointing to the enthusiast who wants a sports car but look around next time you're driving, you will see a whole lot more sedans, SUVs, trucks than you see sports cars. Toyota is just concentrating on the market in the areas where there is more demand and it shows on their balance sheet. I own some stock in Toyota and it is definitely outperforming its competitors as far as sales and profit margins go. As stated above I love my Nissan, and would not trade it for anything that Toyota (or Scion for that matter) has on the market right now, but you can't blame them for making good business decisions :cheers:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I agree that this will be a good year for the aftermarket industry. We should be seeing some interesting things happen, not only for the vendors or from the manufacturers, but also from the end user that has deep pockets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts