Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i'm currently evaluating my options in getting rid of my BA Falcon XR6 and getting into a 350Z Track. I'm a little amiss at the pricing that Nissan think they can charge for this car at $66k. The soon to be released USA spec Track is the equiv of AU$46K + onroads. Also as to why the USA cars have some options which would be cool here in Australia (such as factory sat nav).

The main reason i'm looking to shed the BA is because of poor quality and after sales servicing. Can anyone here let me know how Australian (US have those lucky Lemon Laws) service centers go? For example if i've got an issue with the gearbox do they kick up a fuss and blame your driving technique or would they take it to heart and look into the matter?

Any experiences with Nissan dealerships (esp Melbourne) would be terrific - as it is my first time dealing with an overseas manufacturers.

Regards,
Ian

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hi Ian

Yeah there is a great disparity between prices that the Z is sold for in the US and here. This is partly due to our taxes and stamp duties, but probably mostly to do with the fact that the USA is probably the cheapest country in the world to buy any car.

You have noo control over this so just don't worry about it. You need to pay what the Z is sold for here.

BTW, factory sat nav is available here in Aust as a factory option.

My experience with Nissan service has been quite good. I had a fault with my drivers side power window mechanism and also my differential, both of which were replaced under warranty. The only problem is that Nissan doesn't seem to carry any parts stock here in Aust, so you have to wait for the parts to come from Japan before you can have your problem fixed.

My dealer in Sydney has said to me that they will not fix rattles after 1000km, but thats bull as I got them to fix a rattle just 2 weeks ago and I have almost 28,000km on the clock. Sometimes you just have to be firm with the dealer and ask them to show you a rattle exclusion clause in the warranty, which they cannot do as it does not exist.

One of the major problems with the Z is a tyre feathering issue. If you get this, you need to get onto Nissan early. They will deny a problem and then rotate your tyres for free and tell you to go away. Many people who have had this problem have had their front tyres replaced free of charge.

I have read on the Falcon forums that the BA XR6/T/8's have had lots of problems and the dealers have been less than helpful in solving the problems.

I don't think you'll get that level of denial from Nissan.

BTW, if you're happy to buy a low mileage (less than 10,000km) 2nd hand Z, you should be able to find them for about $50K. Otherwise don't pay more than $66K for a Track model with on road costs (ORC). Some people say that you should be able to negotiate even lower that that to about $63K with ORC.

Finally, be sure that the Z is really what you want. There is a big diference between the Falcon and the Z (ie passangers / luggage space / firm suspension etc).

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by ianmcginley@Oct 23 2004, 08:05 AM
I'm a little amiss at the pricing that Nissan think they can charge for this car at $66k. The soon to be released USA spec Track is the equiv of AU$46K + onroads

That's nothing.

Consider that the Pontiac GTO had to be built to order for the US (relocated fuel tank, exhaust, etc) and the vehicle is fully assembled in Australia, yet the vehicle costs USD$32K (which is the cost of a Z33 Track), or the AUD$46K you quoted. You can't get a Monaro CV8 for that kind of money, let alone a HSV (which the equipment level is closer to).

At least with the 350Z its imported into both countries, and with economies of scale we suffer compared to the US.

But when the car is manufactured here.........

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
As KY says, you need to think about your vehicular requirements before buying a 350Z. It doesn't have the seating, boot space, etc of a family sedan.

If I needed more practicality than just moving myself from A to B via mountain road C with the biggest grin factor and creature comforts possible, then I'd get a Subaru Liberty GT (or the 3.0R-B if turbo insurance is a problem). They're quick, they're luxurious, safe, and from friends' dealings with their Subie dealerships they're quite happy with the after-sales suport.

And, in Melbourne, Subaru has an official STi store where you can get factory fitted and warrantied hop-up parts (which is available Australia wide, but you have a proper store in Melbourne).

But, if you want a sleek grand tourer that's one of the fastest new-car corner carvers for under $100K, you'd be hard pressed to top the Z. Especially since the Evolution VIII is imported under the low-volume laws, which means the 100 a year that Mitsubishi can import are all pre-sold.

So far, after sales support has been reasonable. My dealer / service agent has been amicable and eager to fix my various issues (squeaks and rattles, mostly) although they've been unable to actually resolve them. Full marks for trying, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not actually too worried about size and that sorta thing. In fact my biggest issue these days is a set of golf clubs and that i'm 6'2, so Japanese ergonomics aren't great (I don't fit in a new Subaru Liberty GT - that was my first choice).

I don't have a family, in fact my partner drives a ute (XR8 manual) so we are used to the '2 seater sports car' life anyway.

I'm looking for something with better image then my falcon, and better post sales support, which unfortunately Ford Australia are lacking in spades. Better performance is a bonus.

Has anyone had any experience in 'extended' test drives from dealerships in Australia? most notable a few hours or even overnight? 10 minutes around the block just isn't up to scratch for me (i spend a few hours in the car every day).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Can't believe that you don't fit into a Liberty GT. I'm 6'3" and I fit into the GT.
I fit comfortably in the Z and I have enough headroom to wear a helmet for track days without hitting the roof.
I only wish that I could set the seat back a few more cm and have telescopic adjustment for the Z. Alas no.

If your after an extended test drive, just ask to pick the car up at close of business and return the next day. They can only say yah or nah. I recall that someone in Melb did take the Z for a full day test drive - cannot remeber who or which dealer though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by KY350@Oct 23 2004, 09:09 PM
Can't believe that you don't fit into a Liberty GT.  I'm 6'3" and I fit into the GT.
I fit comfortably in the Z and I have enough headroom to wear a helmet for track days without hitting the roof.
I only wish that I could set the seat back a few more cm and have telescopic adjustment for the Z.  Alas no.

If your after an extended test drive, just ask to pick the car up at close of business and return the next day.  They can only say yah or nah.  I recall that someone in Melb did take the Z for a full day test drive - cannot remeber who or which dealer though.

Yeah my head hits the roof in the front of the Liberty and in the rear my shoulders are nearly against the C-Pillar. Just not comfortable to sit in. Nice car, but boring as **** interior though! I was not impressed with that at all.

Yeah my head hits the roof in the front of the Liberty and in the rear my shoulders are nearly against the C-Pillar. Just not comfortable to sit in. Nice car, but boring as **** interior though! I was not impressed with that at all.

**** in my Falcon I struggled to fit in the drivers seat with a helmet on. I really had to hunch and slouch. Though I guess my driving position is also somewhat to blame. I sit upright and fairly close to the steering wheel (proper bent arms and all that jazz for good reaction driving). This usually means that the roof has starded sloping towards the front of the car.

Anyway... I went out cruising Nissan dealerships today (all closed due to being a Sunday) but i'm just window shopping at the moment. 4 dealerships in Melbourne, not ONE 350Z in stock. Whats the bet I have to go somewhere fancy like "Brighton Nissan" to get a look at a 350Z. :/

Anyway.. i gotta sit in one to find out what the go is first.. then the test drive. If this all fails, back to looking at another car. Car shopping is nearly as bad as house hunting.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
KY350:

I don't know that our 350Z Sat. Nav. is a factory option at all?! When did they add that in???

Ian:

I think MELB350Z is selling his BRAND New Track, so you might want to contact him for more information, probably will get a better deal from him then!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, yeah Z350Lover is right. I'm getting a new 350Z Track from insurance (as my previous one was stolen) and looking to sell it. I haven't been given a delivery date yet and hoping to sell it prior to picking it up. In anycase, once you've sat in one and test driven one, feel free to contact me and hopefully we can figure something out?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by ianmcginley@Oct 23 2004, 07:51 PM

Has anyone had any experience in 'extended' test drives from dealerships in Australia? most notable a few hours or even overnight? 10 minutes around the block just isn't up to scratch for me (i spend a few hours in the car every day).

Yeah I did.

I had no intention of gettin a 350. A dealer friend rang me one day and asked if i wanted to take one for a test drive. I declined simply for the fact that i wasn't going to buy one and didn't want to waste his time. He said "no worries - just come down and have a spin". After a 5 minute test drive on a friday arvo he offered for me to take the car for the weekend. I told him he was nuts but he insisted. Said i should go for a REAL test drive without the sales guy watchin over me (not that that stopped me from thrashin the guts out of it anyway). Like i was gonna pass that offer up. Rang him first thing saturday mornin and said "you ain't gettin this car back!!!". Next time I saw him I was doin the paperwork - I was totally sold.

If you're serious about gettin one I'd say you've got a good chance of takin the puppy home for the weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by MELB350Z@Oct 24 2004, 01:35 AM
I'm getting a new 350Z Track from insurance (as my previous one was stolen) and looking to sell it.  I haven't been given a delivery date yet and hoping to sell it prior to picking it up.  In anycase, once you've sat in one and test driven one, feel free to contact me and hopefully we can figure something out?

What colour is the one that you have ordered or is it still to be determined? I saw that you are thinking about getting a Gol R32? Why wouldn't you replace the Z with a Z? I'm hoping that a Z will be a better built and better service then the replacing Falcon. You'd really think that a car that was designed and built in Australia they could service it properly.

Oh and as a follow up, does anyone know if Australia might be lucky enough to get the 35th Anniversary Spec next year similar to the USA Spec? Most notably:

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
24-valve 3.5-liter DOHC V6 rated at 287 horsepower and 274 lb-ft of torque (215kW)
New yellow (I like!)
35th Anniversary Badging

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i originally had a silver 350Z Track but i'm thinking colour can be negotiated as i'm guessing it has no effect on the price.

The main reason i want to get a Golf R32 is because it has more then two seats. The Zed is a great car, very capable and looks fantastic but has only two seats. It isn't an issue most of the time but on those odd occassions...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Ian

I doubt that you'll ever see the TPMS in Aust, but that is just me talking and I'm no Nissan authority.

The yanks have always had their Z's rated as 287HP (or 215kw approx) and ours is only 206kW. I believe that this disparity is due to the exhaust dB levels in the US being higher than what authorities in Aust allow.
Note that when the yanks put on an aftermarket exhasut, they only see about 6-10HP gain on average. In contrast, all the guys locally that have put on an aftermarket exhaust have seen gains of approx 15kW atw.
So short answer is that I doubt we will see the 287hp US version of the Z, but you can always add an aftermarket exhaust and exceed 287hp.
I would expect that Nissan may also bring in a slightly higher output Z within 2 years to boost sales, as the Z is already about 2 yo in Aus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts