Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - Hope this is in the right place

Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2008 Nissan 350Z vehicle and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection.

Things I will be looking out for are

coolant or oil leads
Weird noises coming from the engine
check the transmission for slips and jolts
verify all the electronics are working properly
I will post some images and mileage below if you guys have any other suggestions to check.

Thanks and I look forward to joining this community

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
My best suggestion is to identify and PAY for a detailed mechanical assessment of any used car you're considering. This hands-on report is the only way to know what you're getting and is well worth the $200-300 fee you can expect to pay. We can give you guesses here, but nothing like what a trained technician can do with a physical inspection.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As dkmura said, a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) is key unless you have access to a lift and have the skills and tools to DIY. Other thing I'd suggest if doing it yourself is bring along an OBD scanner to check for stored or cleared codes. One that is Nissan specific is good but a general unit can uncover most basic codes.

Also, any particular reason a 2008 model? I'm going to presume its because you've been informed that the HR engine is the "only way to go". In some respects, that's true but a lot will depend on what your end goal is with the car. If you're looking to boost it or do other engine upgrades (plenum, throttle body, forced induction, etc.), a well cared for DE is not a bad thing. In stock form, a DE is still pushing over 1 hp/cubic inch, the old standard for performance.

"Well cared for" brings up another point. Any car you look at should have good maintenance records available. A well cared for DE is much better than a neglected HR.

After all that, you still "need" to have an HR, consider 2007 as well. The VQ35HR was introduced in the Z for that MY.

Good luck.

Reactions: dkmura

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
dkmura is right! I've got a 2005 DE which I maintain meticulously. It has 227,000 miles and gets an oil change every 3000 miles. The mileage is all highway miles. I've got a cold air intake, wide throttle body, dual catback exhaust, plenum spacer and underdrive pulley. I get regular inspections of fluid breakdown and wear and tear. I need the machine in top condition to drive the highway at speeds in excess of 80 mph without worry that something will break down and leave me stranded or worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts