Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 350 and am new to this forum. I see alot of posts talking about the bolt-on daily driven TT kits. As an enthusiast, I will be looking for a bit more than the 400-500whp produced by these kits.

My race car is a 92 honda civic hatchback with 540whp coming from a built 2.1 liter block and a gt35r turbo.

my questions is...if the bottom end of the vq35 is fully built (including rods, low comp pistons, re-seleeved/bored block), larger injectors added, and a stand alone engine management added, can it produce in the 600-700whp range and still have a broad power band.

Can a built vq35 handle 17+ psi?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
There have been a few members including myself that have gone down this road and the vq35 has already been able to withstand 600rwhp at around 16psi without having to sleeve the block. I personally have my block sleeved and I plan on going up the ladder even further to 900rwhp when everything is said and done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Greddy kit has enough airflow for 700-750whp without modifing the turbo...thought I would mention that. :)

I wouldnt recommend running more than 600whp'ish on the stock sleeves. You will find that the head gasket will not hold consistently at anything about 19psi or so. Too much risk...IMHO.

If you plan to run 600whp, just plan on Darton sleeves from the onset. You can also bore out the sleeves up to 100mm (3.8L), although you do loose a little bit of head gasket sealing area. Cosworth makes a 100mm headgasket set for the VQ for about $200 or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know. I would definately have the block completely built before running any boost over 10psi, but I want to stay conservative with the heads. What tuning program are people using to tune the VQ? i used to use several programs for my Hondas (Hondata, Crome, Uberdata) but I'm still unfamiliar with Nissans ECU setup.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good to know. I would definately have the block completely built before running any boost over 10psi, but I want to stay conservative with the heads. What tuning program are people using to tune the VQ? i used to use several programs for my Hondas (Hondata, Crome, Uberdata) but I'm still unfamiliar with Nissans ECU setup.
The best options are the eManage Ultimate which is available now, and the UTEC which will be available in a couple of weeks. I am running the eManage Ultimate on my personal car now at 600whp+, and will switch to testing out the UTEC shortly.

The other options are things like the HKS FCON, but its only tunable by HKS Pro Certified dealers, which are few and far between. These are the only three systems I would ever consider for a high boost car, that are somewhat reasonably prices. Sure...if you have about $7000, get the MOTEX M800, with all the sensors, modules, and harnesses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best options are the eManage Ultimate which is available now, and the UTEC which will be available in a couple of weeks. I am running the eManage Ultimate on my personal car now at 600whp+, and will switch to testing out the UTEC shortly.

The other options are things like the HKS FCON, but its only tunable by HKS Pro Certified dealers, which are few and far between. These are the only three systems I would ever consider for a high boost car, that are somewhat reasonably prices. Sure...if you have about $7000, get the MOTEX M800, with all the sensors, modules, and harnesses.
thx for the info!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I just purchased my 350 and am new to this forum. I see alot of posts talking about the bolt-on daily driven TT kits. As an enthusiast, I will be looking for a bit more than the 400-500whp produced by these kits.

My race car is a 92 honda civic hatchback with 540whp coming from a built 2.1 liter block and a gt35r turbo.

my questions is...if the bottom end of the vq35 is fully built (including rods, low comp pistons, re-seleeved/bored block), larger injectors added, and a stand alone engine management added, can it produce in the 600-700whp range and still have a broad power band.

Can a built vq35 handle 17+ psi?
No.

You will also need headwork to make power more easily over 550 WHP. You will also need plenty of other upgrades (such as a twin fuel pump setup).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts