Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any companies selling intake tubes like what was shown on the S-Tune "long nose" Z? http://www.nismo.co.jp/complete/z_s-tunegt/

Basically, the intake tube goes all the way from the air box to the throttle and eliminates the ugly MAF housing. It appears as if the MAF hot wire unit was removed from the gray plastic housing and instead mounted inside the new intake tube via a welded on adapter bracket.

Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of what I'm talking about as the best view I've seen was on a video and screen capture wouldn't work for me. And the video link is lost in the ether that was once known as my350z.com. :( You can sort of see the intake if you follow the above link, click enter, then click "Nismo Tuning", and then click to the second image.

I'm sure Nismo will eventually sell this intake tube, but I'd just assume buy from a third party for cheaper price.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw those. They look nice, except they don't eliminate the MAF housing like the long-nose Z intake does.
--
Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
The V2 Nismo CAI does that already...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's cool. Do you think you could make a slightly different version that mounts up with the stock air box? I can't remember what the back of the OE air box looks like, but I think one of those universal air filter brackets might mount up in reverse. The length and angle of the tube might need to be adjusted as well...

If you're willing to do a one off, you can PM me with a price.

Also, do you offer powder coating?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our pipe should be pretty close to the right length to matching up to the stock airbox, you would just need an AFM adapter. We can do custom one off intakes, as well as many other parts. Where are you located? it would be best if you could bring the car in, it would save a lot of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm on the east coast (Atlanta) unfortunately. Maybe I can find someone similarly interested in an intake tube like what I want that lives near your shop. That way, they can be used for the sizing of the tube and you sell two intake tubes instead of one.

Anyone interested?
--
Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
I talked to one of the other fabricators today, and he said that we can do the pipe easily. If you're interested, PM me...or simply call 1-650-877-8280.

Ray Fong

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*BUMP* Anyone with a 350z interested in getting a WeaponR replacement tube for the stock intake? I'm unfortunately in Atlanta and can't go to their San Fran shop for installation. I'm hoping I can find someone in California that wants the same thing so WeaponR can get the dimensions right.

Here's another thread with pics of their intake work:
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2921

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Originally posted by LBSOHK@Oct 20 2004, 03:35 AM
whats the advantage of eliminating the MAF housing ?
or is it simply for looks only ?
thx

I believe at the moment the MAF housing is the narrowest point in the intake tube, so the NISMO tube removes this bottleneck and also widens the rest of the tube.

And by the looks of the photo so does the WeaponR, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

I just went down to weapon-R today, Ray and Leo are super nice! Got this nice intake installed in my G35 :)

And there's a noticable difference above 4000 rpm! also, crusing at 80 mph on the freeway, I noticed that my revs were 300 rpm lower, which is another good sign that the intake does free up some power.

I still have my stock airbox etc., which seems exactly the same as the 350z, so if you want to use me as a guinea pig for measurements, let me know.

Ajay

·
Registered
176 Posts
ajayjuneja
It,s just not possible for the motor to be running 300rpm less @ 80mph after the change of intake pipe.
The only way the revs could be different @ the same speed is for the gearing to be different.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'll side with Ajay on the 'butt dyno'. I do notice better pull, even then the Pop...

Sorry I missed ya Ajay, but I had to get Wifey to the Tattoo Con. in SF.

We'll have to meet up soon, & I think I know where...

Ray & I are going to do some talking about real dyno time here soon...

& BTW: Any Eastside that needs a Westside, Here I am.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by nizmo pete@Oct 31 2004, 03:01 PM
ajayjuneja
It,s just not possible for the motor to be running 300rpm less @ 80mph after the change of intake pipe.
The only way the revs could be different @ the same speed is for the gearing to be different.

well, with regards to the RPM difference, there's a certain minimum RPM for the gearing, and there's whatever more than that necessary to overcome wind resistance. I notice I need less extra throttle to overcome that wind resistance, and the car pulls from 80mph -100 mph a lot faster than it did with the stock intake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by lionkiller@Nov 1 2004, 02:52 PM
I'll side with Ajay on the 'butt dyno'.  I do notice better pull, even then the Pop...

Sorry I missed ya Ajay, but I had to get Wifey to the Tattoo Con. in SF.

We'll have to meet up soon, & I think I know where...

Ray & I are going to do some talking about real dyno time here soon...

& BTW:  Any Eastside that needs a Westside, Here I am.

Well, I'm heading to weapon-r again this saturday at noon to sell some old stereo equipment, if you wanna meet there lionkiller that works for me.

Other meeting spots are good too, SSF doesn't have much in it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by nizmo pete@Oct 31 2004, 02:01 PM
ajayjuneja

exactly, there is no fluctation for that possibly other than through gear modifications. A gear is a gear, there is no way to change the RPM and speed ratio through simple HP or wind resistance upgrades, that defy's automotive physics, plain and simple.

I'm sure the intake free'd up more hp, but the realization of less rpm in a given speed norm is impossible, there must be a mistake somewhere or a mistake in ur speed sensor for your car

·
Registered
78 Posts
NISMO had a lot of problems with th eMAF plugging into the pipe and pulled the design... The V3 intake now has improved pipe diamteres compared to the V1 and V2 NISMO intakes. V2 NISMO intakes with the integrated MAF's are no longer offered... all V2's are now V3's...

Most people who installed the V2 intake with integrated MAF's either had damaged MAF's after the install or proglems with acceleration...

If you want to get as close to the E-Spec Z's intake tube then here you go...

http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/...=1127_1128_1129

1 - 20 of 23 Posts